Synopsis of Bible Study 04/18/18
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Matthew 24:41 (NKJV) 41 Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left. – This scripture is talking about what we refer to as the Rapture or the end of time.
Some people think Hell is a figurative place. Know that Hell is not figurative place. It is a real place.
Hell is also a place that will be eternal. If you go there, you will spend your eternal life there.
Studies show that only 69% of mankind believe Hell is a place and only 1% of mankind believe that they will die and go to Hell.
Key facts about Hell
- Everyone will exist eternally either in Heaven or Hell, Daniel 12:2-3 (NKJV) 2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, Some to everlasting life, Some to shame and everlasting contempt. 3 Those who are wise shall shine Like the brightness of the firmament, And those who turn many to righteousness Like the stars forever and ever;
- Matthew 25:46 (NKJV) says 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
- Everyone has only one life to determine where you will end. Hebrews 9:27 (NKJV) says 27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,
- Heaven or Hell is determined by whether a person believes (put their trust) in Christ alone to save them… John 3:16 says (NKJV) 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
II. What Does the Bible Say About Hell?
A. Biblical View of Hell
- Revelation 20:10 (NKJV) says 10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where[a] the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.– There is an idea that there is distinction between Hell and Lake of Fire. In the end, the devil and all of his followers will be cast in the lake of fire.
B. Non-biblical belief about Hell
- The second chance view -There is a way to escape Hell.
- Universalism – All are eternally saved. No matter what you do you, you will still go to Heaven. It goes along with the idea that we can do what we want to, because we are saved by grace.
- Annihilationism – The idea that Hell simply means a person just ceases to exist at the end of their life.
Objections to biblical views of Hell are as follows:
- Objection One: A loving God would not send people to such a horrible hell.
Response One: Romans 2:11 (NKJV) says 11 For there is no partiality with God.– God is not partial concerning judgment. He gives you what you deserve.
- Objection Two: Hell is too severe a punishment for sin.
Response Two: 1 Peter 1:15 (NKJV) 15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, – It’s not that hard to prevent yourself from going to Hell.
III. Where is Hell located
Revelation 20:13 (NKJV) says 13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.- Some people believe that there is a shaft that leads to the middle/center of the earth. It is here that some believe Hell is located.
A. Important Facts About Hell
- Is Hell is a literal burning place? Psalm 37:20 (NKJV) says 20 But the wicked shall perish; And the enemies of the Lord, Like the splendor of the meadows, shall vanish. Into smoke they shall vanish away.
- Malachi 4:1 (NKJV) says 4 “For behold, the day is coming, Burning like an oven, And all the proud, yes, all who do wickedly will be stubble. And the day which is coming shall burn them up,” Says the Lord of hosts, “That will leave them neither root nor branch.
- Matthew 13:42 (NKJV) says 42 and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
- Luke 16:24 (NKJV) says 24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’- This comes from the Parable that Jesus told the disciples about the Rich Man and the Poor Man Lazarus. They both die and the poor man, named Lazarus was found resting in the bosom of Abraham and the Rich Man went to Hell and found himself in torment.
- The Rich Man cried out and asked Father Abraham to have mercy on him and to have Lazarus to dip his finger in water and come to cool his tongue, because he was tormented in the flame.
- Both of these people give us an illustration of what it is like soon after you die. Instantly after death, you have a clear awareness that you are in the presence of God which is representative of Lazarus resting in the bosom of Abraham. On the other hand, when you die and you are not in relationship with God, you are consciously aware that you are in Hell. This is representative of the Rich Man who found himself in torment, begging for Abraham to allow Lazarus to dip his finger in water so he could cool the Rich Man’s tongue.
- John 15:6 (NKJV) says 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.- Those not connected to Him will burn.
- Revelation 9:2 (NKJV) says 2 And he opened the bottomless pit, and smoke arose out of the pit like the smoke of a great furnace. So the sun and the air were darkened because of the smoke of the pit.-
- Revelation 14:10 (NKJV) says 10 he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.- This is about the end of days . After you die and the rapture has occurred, there will be torment on earth for those who are left behind.
- After the reign, God’s wrath will come. It is interesting how smoke will come out of the pit.
- Will you have a body in Hell?
- You will have a body in hell. Proverbs 1:12 (NKJV) 12 Let us swallow them alive like Sheol,[a] And whole, like those who go down to the Pit;– People who go to Hell go to a
- Matthew 10:28 (NKJV) says 28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in Hell. – When you die, regardless of status, your body does the same thing. Your flesh goes back to the earth and your soul goes to heaven.
- When you die, your body is alive aware and conscious of existence. If you aren’t in relationship with God when you die, then you go to Hell. Your body is translated or transfigured. You take on a new body and your soul and your body that is transfigured is what will be able to experience the pain of Hell fire. The difference between your new body and your old is the body that is transfigured doesn’t burn up.
- The body or flesh is corruptible. Corruption can’t handle incorruption. No flesh can enter heaven. Your flesh can’t operate in Heaven.
- Your body can occupy Hell, because your sins are tied to your flesh.
- Matthew 10:28 (NKJV) says 28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.– People can touch your body, but not your soul. Who you ought to fear is the one that is able to destroy your soul and body and send you to Hell. The devil wants your soul and body to be in constant torment.
- Imagine dying and waking up conscious knowing that you are on fire and not burning up.
- Luke 16:24 (NKJV) says 24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’- The Rich Man in torment asked for water on the tip of his tongue.
- Why would you go through all this hell on earth and then die and go to Hell? What in the Hell do you want.?
B. Biblical terms describing Hell
- Lake of fire
IV. When will Hell be experience.
A. Hell is Eternal and Irreversible
- Hell was not meant for human beings.
- You were created in the image of God. Only those that reject Jesus Christ will go to Hell.
- Hell has begun to remodel itself to make room. Isaiah 5:14 (NKJV) says 14 Therefore Sheol has enlarged itself And opened its mouth beyond measure; Their glory and their multitude and their pomp, And he who is jubilant, shall descend into it.- The world that has turned against God will end up in Hell.
- Isaiah 14:10 (NKJV) says 10 They all shall speak and say to you: ‘Have you also become as weak as we?
- Have you become like us? – Hell will be eager to receive you.
B. Hell is a second death.
- We are born once and we die only once, if we are in relationship with God. If we are not in relationship with God, then we die that second death. Hell is the second death.
- I am perplexed as a man of God. Out of 26yrs of Pastoring, Bishop has never told anyone that they were going to Hell. The state of us being perplexed comes from this scripture: Revelation 21:8 (NKJV) says 8 But the cowardly, unbelieving,[a] abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”– What we are trying to reconcile is, why are we who are profess to be saved (saved by grace), on that list? According to this list, most of us are going to Hell! Are we doomed to Hell if we are guilty of anything on this list?
- Matthew 24:36 (NKJV) says 36 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven,[a] but My Father only.,
- Romans 5:8-9 (NKJV) says 8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.,
- Romans 10:9 (NKJV) says 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.,
- Romans 10:13 (NKJV) 13 For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”[a] According to that list, you are on that list that says you are doomed to Hell.
- 1 John 1:9 (NKJV) says 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.– These scriptures say that if you confess your sins, then God forgive you. I know I am a sinner saved by grace. How do we reconcile this list? We all have been at funerals of people who are on this list. Are these people in Hell or Heaven?
- Sinners who ain’t got through it yet. They repent and yet they still struggle. If I’m in a struggle, I’m in my flesh. When I fail, am I going to hell according to that scripture!
- Dogmatic religious people will tell you that we will go to Hell, if we are on that list. The question then becomes this, who other than Jesus lived this earth and didn’t struggle? I imagine Job did some things on that list, so if Job didn’t make it, then we are in trouble!
- Nobody in here is perfect. You ask for repentance, but you struggle. If we are on that list and we struggle, then who goes to Hell? If it is true that we are all saved by grace, then who makes it to heaven and who goes to Hell?
- God gave us a revelation. God said there is a universal common denominator between those who go to Hell and those who won’t. It is not based purely on behavior. The one common denominator is hubris. This is another word for pride.
- That person that says, “I’m going to do me”, regardless to what His word says. The reason God rejected Saul, was because he was prideful. God chose David, but he was not sinless, because he constantly repented and prayed to God all the time.
- Lucifer got tired of giving the glory to God. A 3rd of them with him were kicked out of Heaven. God cast them out of Heaven. Lucifer fell to the earth and became the devil. Pride goes before destruction. Here is the Revelation: The thing that will keep you out of heaven, is not your act or your sin, it is your consistent belief that you can do what you want to do and assume that God will still let you in. Pride will bring down nations!
- Malachi 4:1 (NKJV) 4 says “For behold, the day is coming, Burning like an oven, And all the proud, yes, all who do wickedly will be stubble. And the day which is coming shall burn them up,” Says the Lord of hosts, “That will leave them neither root nor branch.- Humility will cause you to avoid Hell. David was one after God’s own heart. Throughout the whole bible, Jesus always dealt with matters of the heart. Too many people are arrogant. Arrogance is what is killing the kingdom. You are too flawed to be flashy.
- If you don’t get anything else out of this, remember, in order to get to heaven, you need to be humble!