“What Happens After You Die”
Synopsis of Bible Study 4/11/18
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
a. Psalm 116:15 (NKJV) says 15 Precious in the sight of the Lord Is the death of His saints.
b. Job 14:1 (NKJV) says 14 “Man who is born of woman Is of few days and full of trouble. – Job’s understanding of death is tied to carnality and death.
c. Psalm 39:4 (NKJV) says 4 “Lord, make me to know my end, And what is the measure of my days, That I may know how frail I am.– Regardless of the knowledge we have of death, eternal life was sought, even back in the bible days. Although death is inevitable, we have this hope.
d. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-14 (NKJV) says13 But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.[a]- The keyword here is sleep.
- For those of us who die in Christ, we transfer from this life to Him. All of us testify we want to go to heaven, but noone wants to die. Because death is something we don’t have a memory of, it is a mystery.
- Other mysteries: When is your birthday? Do you know for sure that this is your birthday? Really, you have any memory of your birthday. The truth is, you just trusted that the date somebody gave you was true.
- Do you remember being in your mother’s womb? It a mystery.
Question that must be asked about afterlife
1. Is there a second chance after death? Hebrews 9:27 (NKJV) says 27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, – After you die, judgment will follow. There is no second chance to get it right. If you die in the Lord, you will only die once.
- Some people have theories concerning purgatory. This is not a biblical term and does not exist.
What is purgatory? Basically, it is the thought of there being a holding place between earth and heaven.
You got to live in a way that when it is over, you are confident about where you going.
- Do Christian have encounters with near death experiences? Acts 7:55-56 (NKJV) says 55 But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God, 56 and said, “Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!” – Stephen was being stoned and he got a glimpse of heaven before he got there.
- Paul says he was caught up in the third heaven. Paul got a glimpse of that place where we believe God lives. During this time, he didn’t know if he was sleep or if he was awake. Because of what he saw, he was given a thorn in his flesh, so that he might not become prideful.
- There are moments when people transition and see loved ones coming to meet them. Some people begin to stare at something that you can’t see, when they are on their death beds.
- These are all experiences concerning death and the next life.
- What happens to children who die? Romans 5:20 (NKJV) says 20 Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, – Biblical scholars say that because children are not old enough to actually repent, then grace covers children. They go straight back into heaven.
II. What is death?
- It is the result of sin. Romans 6:23 (NKJV) 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. – Our payment for sin is death.
- John 5:24 (NKJV) 24 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. – If you believe Jesus nailed sin to the cross, then you are no longer sentenced to death. You go from this life to the next.
A. Understanding the Power of Christ over Death
- 1 Corinthians 15:21-22 (NKJV) 21 For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. – Adam brought sin into world and Jesus took it out. Jesus died and then he rose. He conquered sin and the grave.
- John 3:16 (NKJV) 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.- If someone is a sleep, they have the expectation that they will get up again.
B. Victory over Death
- 1 Corinthians 15:55 (NKJV) 55 “O Death, where is your sting?[a] O Hades, where is your victory?”[b] – We got victory.
- Isaiah 25:8 (NKJV) 8 He will swallow up death forever, And the Lord God will wipe away tears from all faces; The rebuke of His people He will take away from all the earth; For the Lord has spoken.–
III. Hebrews 2:14 (NKJV) 14 Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, – The devil has no authority over a believer when it comes to death.
III. Where do we go after death?
A. Theories of the Life after Death
There is tendency for us to believe that other religions belief is outrageous when it comes to their beliefs about death. Keep in mind that other religions believe what they believe in with the same conviction as we do. In fact they look at us the same we look at them, concerning our beliefs.
It is important to learn a little about all faiths, so that you can understand why they believe what they believe. Here are some of them.
- The theory of being reborn – Life starts over immediately after death. This is where some people believe déjà (the feeling of having “already lived through” something) comes from.
- Paranormal theory – The belief that you can contact loved ones after death.
- The Hindu Theory – In this, it is believed that you are reincarnated 52 million times.
- Buddhist Theory – In this, they believe in reincarnation. They believe you come back as humans and as gods.
- Plato’s Theory – The belief that the righteous doesn’t just get rewarded after death, but also during their lifetime.
- Pharaoh Theory – The belief that death is temporary for the Pharaohs. This is why it was important for them to preserve the body by mummification.
- Biocentrism Theory – The belief that the body dies, but your consciousness exist.
- Christian Theory – Those who accept salvation will live an eternal life in heaven.
B. Animal afterlife?
- There are various beliefs for these. Ecclesiastes 3:18-19 (NKJV) 18 I said in my heart, “Concerning the condition of the sons of men, God tests them, that they may see that they themselves are like animals.” 19 For what happens to the sons of men also happens to animals; one thing befalls them: as one dies, so dies the other. Surely, they all have one breath; man has no advantage over animals, for all is vanity. – Here the writer is comparing the faith of a wicked human with that of an animal.
- According to the Torah, God will reward animals that were sacrificed.
- Jewish tradition wasn’t clear. Psalm 36:6 (NKJV) says 6 Your righteousness is like the great mountains; Your judgments are a great deep; O Lord, You preserve man and beast. – This says God preserves man a beast.
- In summary, we really don’t know.
C. Communication with the Dead
Can we contact the dead after they are gone? In some instances, yes. However, we are not supposed to. It is forbidden and can be considered a form of sorcery or witchcraft.
This is the supposed practice of communicating with the dead, especially in order to predict the future, witchcraft, sorcery, or black magic in general.
- Leviticus 19:26-28 says (NKJV) 26 ‘You shall not eat anything with the blood, nor shall you practice divination or soothsaying. 27 You shall not shave around the sides of your head, nor shall you disfigure the edges of your beard. 28 You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the Lord.
- Leviticus 19:31 (NKJV) says 31 ‘Give no regard to mediums and familiar spirits; do not seek after them, to be defiled by them: I am the Lord your God.
- Deuteronomy 18:9-14 (NKJV) says 9 “When you come into the land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. 10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations the Lord your God drives them out from before you. 13 You shall be blameless before the Lord your God. 14 For these nations which you will dispossess listened to soothsayers and diviners; but as for you, the Lord your God has not appointed such for you.
- Galatians 5:20 (NKJV) 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, – In no case should we try to contact the dead. When you try to contact the dead, you are opening a portal you can’t handle.
- Ex – Imagine this. There is a door. We are not going through that door, because of what’s behind the door. Behind that door the mediums operate between the spirt world and earth. There are spirits in that space, behind the door, that can’t be dealt with. The only way to deal with them is with spiritual warfare.
- When you are a sleep, you don’t remember when you fell asleep. When you slipped into that place of unconsciousness, you have no recollection of what time it was. You were totally unaware that you were still in this world.
iii. What is that place? It is the doorstep of that door that we talked about earlier.
- Sometimes, people die in their sleep because they walked through that door. People die in their slip and go into the door. Lots of stuff happens on the steps of that door.
- Ever been asleep and wake up, but not realize that you are up? Ever woke up to see something move in the room? It is very possible that you did see something moving, because while you are sleep, you are under demonic attack. This is why we never go to sleep without praying for God’s protection over us. We are at our most vulnerable when we are asleep.
2. Saul and the Witch of En Dor
- There are people that practice witchcraft. 1 Samuel 28:3-15 (NKJV) 3 Now Samuel had died, and all Israel had lamented for him and buried him in Ramah, in his own city. And Saul had put the mediums and the spiritists out of the land. 4 Then the Philistines gathered together, and came and encamped at Shunem. So Saul gathered all Israel together, and they encamped at Gilboa. 5 When Saul saw the army of the Philistines, he was afraid, and his heart trembled greatly. 6 And when Saul inquired of the Lord, the Lord did not answer him, either by dreams or by Urim or by the prophets. 7 Then Saul said to his servants, “Find me a woman who is a medium, that I may go to her and inquire of her.” And his servants said to him, “In fact, there is a woman who is a medium at En Dor.” 8 So Saul disguised himself and put on other clothes, and he went, and two men with him; and they came to the woman by night. And he said, “Please conduct a séance for me, and bring up for me the one I shall name to you.” 9 Then the woman said to him, “Look, you know what Saul has done, how he has cut off the mediums and the spiritists from the land. Why then do you lay a snare for my life, to cause me to die?” 10 And Saul swore to her by the Lord, saying, “As the Lord lives, no punishment shall come upon you for this thing.” 11 Then the woman said, “Whom shall I bring up for you?” And he said, “Bring up Samuel for me.” 12 When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out with a loud voice. And the woman spoke to Saul, saying, “Why have you deceived me? For you are Saul!” 13 And the king said to her, “Do not be afraid. What did you see?” And the woman said to Saul, “I saw a spirit[a] ascending out of the earth.” 14 So he said to her, “What is his form?” And she said, “An old man is coming up, and he is covered with a mantle.” And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with hisface to the ground and bowed down. 15 Now Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?” And Saul answered, “I am deeply distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God has departed from me and does not answer me anymore, neither by prophets nor by dreams. Therefore I have called you, that you may reveal to me what I should do.” – Even back in the bible days, people were practicing witchcraft and trying to contact the dead.
- Ok to be cremated? When you are not cremated, you decompose and eventually, return to back to ashes. When you are cremated, you return to ashes, much quicker. The same thing happens in both cases. Either way, you return back to ashes, so it is ok to be cremated.
- Are we required to have a funeral? There really is not any evidence of a funeral in the New Testament. The only thing close to it was when Jesus saw the people going to the grave of a loved one that died. Jesus touched him and he got up.
- Funerals are for the living not the dead. The person in the casket is not there. You are spirit housed in rental property called flesh and every day, it is telling to that you need to go back home (Heaven).
- Being absent from the body, is to be present with the Lord. You are not who you see in the mirror. You are a spirit renting the body. When your body dissolves, you spirit survives. Lot’s of people say that they can’t wait to see their Mother or Father again. The truth is, when you get to heaven, you will recognize your loved one that has gone on before you, but you will not recognize them like they were. They will be a Spirit who is totally different from who you knew.
- Final words on death. When our bodies are raised, it will be raised to be with the Lord forever.
- When a believer dies, they go to sleep. This is rest for the weary. They will be resurrected at the time of rapture. The dead in Christ will be raised first.
- Your spirit will be raised up. 1 Thessalonians 4:17 (NKJV) says 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.- Our loved ones that have passed are in the bosom of Abraham which is representative of being present with the Lord. They are resting and unaware of what they’ve left behind. If you don’t know Christ, you die and you are very very much awake. When you die, there are only two choices. These two choices are smoking and nonsmoking.