Part II: Strategic Connections and Relationships in Destiny
In Pursuit of Destiny
Synopsis of Bible study 10/4/17
Delivered by Bishop Walker III, DMin.
- We found out in last week’s lesson that destiny is the end game and purpose is the path. When living in purpose, you live a life of fulfillment.
- In additions we discussed that when you live in purpose, your life is so filled with purpose, you want to pour it out in earth. You live a full life and die empty, because you left behind what you were supposed to deposit.
- Imagine if God dropped an incredible vision in your spirit and it was so big it would change the whole world. Who would you tell that would help you move it forward? Take a moment and try to name five people and write them down.
- When you think about strategic relationships, you have to realize that they are required to make it to destiny. Know that because you require partnership, it doesn’t make you needy. The fact is, you need partnership to bring vision to pass.
- Think about it, even Jesus used the disciples. John Haywood wrote a quote saying, “Many hands make light work. The more people you have on your time, the quicker you can make things come to pass”. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 (NKJV) says 9 Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. 10 For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, For he has no one to help him up.- It is important to understand the power in partnership.
II. Make the right connection
A. Surround yourself with people who are dedicated to their vocation
- The people Jesus used were already busy in their vocation when he found them. Matthew 4:18-22 (NKJV) 18 And Jesus, walking by the Sea of Galilee, saw two brothers, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. 19 Then He said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.” 20 They immediately left their nets and followed Him. 21 Going on from there, He saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets. He called them, 22 and immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed Him. – Jesus called men already working in their vocation. They had a track record of
- People that are already doing something will help you best in implementing vision.
- All the disciples had particular jobs before Jesus called them.
- Those who excel in their area of work, have potential for greatness. Proverbs 22:29 (NKJV) 29 Do you see a man who excels in his work? He will stand before kings; He will not stand before unknown men. – People will recognize their work and speak well of them.
- If a boat is catching fish and I’m not, then I won’t be jealous, I will pull up and ask them what kind of bait they are using.
- Another example is this, if a bald man told you that he had discovered a great hair growth product, don’t follow him, because being bald, he doesn’t have any fruit to back up his claim of productivity. How does he know it will work? If he doesn’t have hair himself, then he doesn’t have any fruit. Find out if the people you use are bearing fruit.
- The people that you pick to help with your vision don’t have to be working in the same area of your vision, when you find them. You just want their work ethic and spirit of producing fruit.
B. Seek partners who are passionate and creative.
- You can’t always be the smartest person in the room. If you are, you are never going to get there. Proverbs 27:17 (NKJV) 17 As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend. – You can’t be intimidated by brilliance. It doesn’t minimize you, it sharpens you.
- You got to move towards people with passion and productivity. Proverbs 8:12 (NKJV) 12 “I, wisdom, dwell with prudence, And find out knowledge and discretion. – Open yourself up to people and things that will bless you and broaden your horizons.
- George Bernard Shaw writes “Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream of things that never were and say why not “- You need people around you that can handle your why not questions.
- Our purpose solves a problem. Why not create a noon bible study? Why not have 3 services instead of one? You have to put people in those spaces alongside of the people that will ask the question, “why not”.
- Characteristics of highly creative people:
(Take a moment and write down who you have in your life that is highly creative).
- Displays a great deal of curiosity about many things.
- Generates a large number of ideas or solutions to problems and questions.
- Willing to take risks.
- Exhibits a good deal of intellectual playfulness.
- Has a great sense of humor.
- Enjoys aesthetic impressions. Visually moved by undeveloped spaces.
- Typically does not conform to rules or standards.
III. Mature in relationship decision making
A. Don’t make immature decisions
- Your ignorance can only be an excuse for so long. 1 Corinthians 13:11N (NKJV) 11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
- God gave you an ignorance pass, but he will only do it for so long. Acts 17:30 (NKJV) 30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent,
B. Learn how to be proactive and not reactive
- You have to learn to make decisions that go beyond your preparation. You got to be sure that every move you make leads towards destiny.
- Romans 8:5-8 (NKJV) 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. – Those who live according to flesh are reactive, because they are focused on their feelings and what just happened to them. They react.
- The devil uses offense to cause you to react. If you react, it throws you off your game. That’s why people trash talk during games. They want to throw you off your game.
- Imagine if you won $86,400. Say you went to the bank and cashed the check. They give you your money and on the way out, 10 dollars of it fell on the floor. Imagine that a person quickly picked up the $10 that fell and took off. Would you go after the person that picked up the 10 dollars or would you just be happy with the $86,390?
- Now there are 86,400 seconds in a day and devil sent somebody to steal 10 seconds of your day, just trying to mess you up, or throw you off your path to your destiny. Messing around with that person could cost you a whole day of productivity. We got to get back on track and salvage those remaining, 86,390 seconds.
- The devil manipulates your emotions. He makes emotional designs to retard your process of arriving to your destination.
- God will tip you off of things to come. Amos 3:7 (NKJV) 7 Surely the Lord God does nothing, Unless He reveals His secret to His servants the prophets.- ,
- Luke 8:17 (NKJV) says 17 For nothing is secret that will not be revealed, nor anything hidden that will not be known and come to light.- God will tip you off of stuff coming. How does the pilot know you about to hit turbulence? It is cause he’s in touch with the tower. You might not get informed if you are not in touch with the tower (God).
IV. Measure the importance of your partnerships
A. Can your relationship move with you when you level up? Can the people in your life operate with you on your next level?
- Some people are not cut out to handle your next move. If they are not supposed to go with you, your leap with have them at odds with you. 2 Corinthians 6:14 (NKJV) 14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? – You need people connected that believe in where you’re going.
- There are saved people that you can’t take with you. You can be loyal to a fault.
- Bishop had an iPhone with an earpiece. He used to use this earpiece in both his iPhone and iPad. He decided, because of his needs, to upgrade his phone. The iPhone he purchased can no longer use the earpiece that he once depended on. He has to use another apparatus with his new iPhone. The earpiece started getting salty, because Bishop didn’t need it anymore.
- Bishop explained to the earpiece, “You still have value in my iPad space, but you do not fit in the new iPhone space”.
- Bishop further explained, “We are cool here, but when I need to go another level, I have to use another apparatus. I’m not going to compromise what I need over your feelings”. Bishop says, “I need you to be cool in your space”.
- Just like this example, people functioned at capacity in your life, but God moved you up and stuff that used to fit, does not fit anymore. Bishop says, “ I am not going to mess up my iPhone plugging in stuff that doesn’t fit”.
- Here’s another example. If that uncle showed up with that 8 track tap of Al Green and asked you to play it, what would you play it on? No one has an 8 track player anymore and the 8 track will not fit in your disc player or your iPod. The 8 track was valuable in one season, but it does not fit where you have advanced to.
B. Are your relationships timeless?
- People you need to invest friends no matter where God brings you. Proverbs 17:17 (NKJV) 17 A friend loves at all times, And a brother is born for adversity. – People that can handle you and intercede for you while you are going through are real friends.
- It is hard to measure who authentically are assigned to your life in fair weather. That’s why God sends
- It is hard to find out who your friends are while you driving, but you can see who your real friends are when you are at the bus stop.
- You need consistent friends.
- It’s lonely where you are going. The higher you go, the less people can handle the air space. The oxygen is less plentiful on your higher level.
- You have to be selective. This is why Jesus picked Peter, James, and John to share a special moment with him. Matthew 17:1-8 (NKJV) 17 Now after six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, led them up on a high mountain by themselves; 2 and He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light. 3 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him. 4 Then Peter answered and said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, let us[a] make here three tabernacles: one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”5 While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them; and suddenly a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him!” 6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their faces and were greatly afraid. 7 But Jesus came and touched them and said, “Arise, and do not be afraid.” 8 When they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only.- Peter, James, and John were not perfect. God took productive men with him, because he knew they could handle his next level.
- These 3 were able to understand what He looked like in the future and yet still be able to function in his right now.
- You have to be strategic about your connections. Philippians 3:14 (NKJV) 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
- We asked earlier, that you name about the 5 people that could use to help you with your vision. Would you still use them now?
God says when you walk in purpose going towards destiny, God will align you with people to expand your bandwidth. When walking towards your destiny, God will give you new connections. When they come, do not shun them. These are God moments. They might not be in your same career path, but they will open up doors for you. God will put a new thing around you.
People need you, but you will be reconnected with people that need nothing from you. They will be assigned to bless you.