What you hear
Synopsis of Sermon 06/18/17
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Romans 10:13-17 (NKJV) –
13 For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”[a]
Israel Rejects the Gospel
14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:
“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,[b]
Who bring glad tidings of good things!”[c]
16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?”[d] 17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
We all have a purpose. The way we think and what we think has something to do with how things have been spoken over us throughout our lives. We are what we want to hear. When God speaks, he does so with clarity. He puts his words on assignment. God’s word doesn’t return to him void and accomplishes what He has set it out to accomplish. Clutter in our lives hinder us from hearing what God is trying to tell us. Whenever you recognize how essential it is to be connected to God, you will better be able to go to the next dimension. God’s word will help us to understand how we hear and what we do. If you hear better, you will do better. We are not saved by works, it is by faith. The question is, how do we get faith? Well faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Your faith then is fueled by the word of God.
I. You have to have the assurance that the father hears your call
God is concerned about your plight. God is willing to hear us when others turn away from us.
1. The Lord is concerned about the whomevers. – Salvation is based on faith. We see it on the cross in Luke 23:43 where it says And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.” – In this scripture, there are two thieves on the cross beside Jesus. Jesus says to one of them, “… this day you will be in paradise”. This thief hasn’t walked with Christ a day in his life, but he believes that Christ could save him.
a. This lets us know that Gods love is available to all of us. God heard us when we didn’t deserve it and he called us out.
b. Who are the whomevers? They are those who did whatever to whomever, whenever. When religion didn’t think we were qualified, we are glad to know that God heard our cry. God made space for the whomevers .
2. You are never too so far away that God can’t hear your cry. Isaiah 59:1(NKJV) 59 Behold, the Lord’s hand is not shortened, That it cannot save; Nor His ear heavy, That it cannot hear.
a. Why isn’t God talking? He wants you to grow in your ability so that you can learn to hear him. The devil has got some of you thinking God can’t hear you. Know that regardless of your situation, when a child of God cries out, God will remind you that he can hear you.
b. When some people pray, they think that you have to cry out in the King James English. This is the farthest from the truth. When you are a child of God, all you got to do is cry out! Know that is alright to holler out sometimes!
3. Now you know God hears you. The question is, do you hear him? Your success is measured by your ability to discern his oil.
a. Verse 14 asks, 14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?
II. You got to have an anointed covering All throughout the bible, when God got ready to speak, he always raised up a leader. When God wants to give you a word, he will align you with the right covering.
1. Your Pastor must bring not just information, but also revelation. – You have to have the right shepherd assigned to right flock in order for revelation to happen. This is how you get connection.
a. A shepherd knows his sheep. He knows his sheep’s allergies and as a result, he doesn’t feed them generic stuff. It is a poor shepherd that won’t feed his sheep and it is poor sheep that won’t come to eat. Jeremiah 3: (NKJV) says 15 And I will give you shepherds according to My heart, who will feed you with knowledge and understanding. – God will give you pastors after his own heart and that Pastor will feed you with knowledge and understanding (information and revelation).
b. You need to understand contextually; you can’t just stop at information. You can go to seminary for information, but what you can’t get there is revelation. It is not what or how it happened that gives me revelation. It is what happened and how does it relate to my life that gives me revelation.
c. Every Pastor has to be anointed and in touch with his people in order to give you revelation. His words are tied to your destiny. Revelation is the answer to the question, “What does it have to do with me”? Ex – One thing that Bishop teaches upcoming Ministers now is, you need to go to school. Today’s congregation is smarter now than they were before. They can google what you are speaking about, while you are still preaching.
d. Even though you want revelation, information is important too. One of things that is really disturbing is, people just want to give revelation and no information. For example, a person may just want to prophesy through the hold service and never teach. Information is important. Information is the foundation and revelation actually builds the house.
2. God sends you a Pastor that speaks into your destiny. – One thing that bothers me is being a Pastor is the only profession you can go into without having the requirement of continuing education.
a. A mortician can’t even bury you without being recertified. Many professions have to go back and recertify their qualification in order to keep doing what they are trained to do. For a Pastor the assignment on their life is to speak to where God is taking you.
b. Jeremiah 29:11 (NKJV) says 11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.
c. Jeremiah 3:15 (NKJV) says 15 And I will give you shepherds according to My heart, who will feed you with knowledge and understanding. – God gave your Pastor a word to take you where you going. God speaks to your Pastor regarding your destiny. Get negative people out of your ear. Anyone can inspire and anyone can give you information, but only your Pastor can give you revelation. This is how you know when God is in it.
III. Have an awareness of how faith comes Who shall believe my report? Faith comes by hearing. People will hear what they want to hear. Everything you need in the kingdom is tied to faith.
1. You must constantly be exposed to the word. Faith comes by hearing and hearing again. It is faith that fuels destiny, but the word fuels our faith. If we don’t have faith, then we won’t know why God put us here on the earth.
a. What is feeding your spirit the most? If you hadn’t eaten in 3mths, by choice and not on a fast, then something is wrong with you. Malnutrition will affect all aspects about you and can cause death.
b. What if you only ate on holidays and no other time of the year? Eventually, it would kill you. You have to eat to survive. How then can you do this in the spiritually? You have to be fed. You can’t come to the church to get fed only on Holidays. This will cause your spiritual death. Some people can testify, if they hadn’t eaten, they would not have made it through their dilemma.
2. What you hear, will always be greater than what you see. Romans 1:17 (NKJV) 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”[a]- Don’t get caught up in what you see. What you see can sometimes disillusion you. When you live on what you hear, you don’t respond on what you necessarily see. When you live on what you hear, then you can see a balance due, see a negative balance in your account, but understand that God can supply all of your needs.
a. When you live on what you hear, you can see a body in casket, but you can understand what the bible when it says, “I wouldn’t have you ignorant about those who are sleep”.
There has been scientific research that has proven that a person can compensate a loss of sight with their hearing. Blind people will literally use their hearing to make up for their loss of sight.
In watching the movie Ray (about Ray Charles), there was some revelations that were gained from watching the movie.
1. When Ray was a young man, he one day tripped and fell on the floor. Here, Ray represents you and I. We have fallen and can’t get up.
2. As a result of him falling he started calling for his Mom, but his Mom chose to remain quiet. Here his Mom represents God, because just like Ray’s Mom, God says there are moments that He’s got to let you go through this stuff that you’re going through, so he doesn’t interfere.
a. This fall was necessary. In the fall, God needed us to learn something. In Ray’s case, he needed to heighten his senses so that he could function and coexist with the things all around him or in our case, the world.
3. Ray’s Mom wanted to help him, but she pulled herself back. Just lack Ray’s mom, God is saying, if he helps you, then you may become cripple. You got to stay in the struggle and keep learning, because he’s not going to allow you to get up and burn out. God says you need to learn and in your learning, you will find out how to walk by faith.
4. In the movie, the mail man rides by on horse and buggy and a cricket walks by him while he is on the floor. Ray notices that he has never noticed these sounds before. Just like Ray, when God allows you to stay in your struggle, you will begin to notice things that you never have before. Just like Ray’s discovery of the cricket walking by, you will notice that your breakthrough will be found in the small things in life.
5. In the silence of eternity, if you feel and then hear, you will realize that the answer to your breakthrough was there the whole time. Ray finally realized that the sound of the mailman on horse and buggy was there the whole time. What’s more important is, Ray realized that his mother was standing there watching him the whole time he was struggling. She was watching and waiting for him to discover his breakthrough. God operates the same way. When you finally come out of your struggle and reach your breakthrough, you will realize that God was there the whole time!