The power of Favor
Synopsis of Bible Study 05/11-/16
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
|Psalm 106:4 (NKJV) says 4 Remember me, O Lord, with the favor You have toward Your people.
Oh, visit me with Your salvation, – This scripture demonstrates that Jabez understood that in order to have his territory enlarged, he needed God’s hand on his life.
1 Chronicles 4:10 (NKJV) says 10 And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, “Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!” So God granted him what he requested. – Jabez was saying, “Lord bless me before you enlarge me”. He is asking for the Lord to bless him, enlarge him, and insure him, so no matter what happens, he is covered. In other words, he is saying “Lord don’t let me mishandle the blessing, so that I don’t abuse it or cause harm to other people.
- Jabez wanted to experience a greater life with God on the earth.
- Jabez asked his territory to be enlarged, because he knew he needed the blessings of God on him in order to sustain. You want blessings to come to you with God’s hands tied to it.
- The blessings of the Lord upon your life are not necessarily associated with tangible things. It has nothing to do with your W2. When you understand favor as things, you might covet other people’s things. The problem with coveting things other people have is some things that you covet are not part of God.
- We want to prosper, but we also want to do it God’s way. Proverbs 10:22 (NKJV) says 22 The blessing of the Lord makes one rich, And He adds no sorrow with it. – When favor is on your life, you will be blessed, but it won’t frustrate you. Some people are provision driven and not purposed driven. This is why they leave their purpose and chase money!
- If the favor on God is on it, then it is not hard, then things fall into place. In other words, you don’t have to try to fit a square into a circle. There are some things that we have turned down just to make sure that it did not interfere with our purpose.
- If you have to put off things that you are supposed to be doing, just to make it happen, then this is not favor, even though it may look like a blessing. For example, is it God’s will for you never to see your children? Is it God’s will for you to uproot everything just to make something else happen? God’s yoke is easy and his burdens are light.
- Know that your blessings will always attract haters. Haters don’t make us sorrowful. It is the stuff that surrounds your haters. It is the issues that they bring with them that make you sorrowful.
What is favor?
- Favor is characterized as the hand of God resting on your life. It is the idea of God going before you causing doors to open and keeping doors open for you continuously in your life.
- When you are in God’s will, favor is attracted to you. If we stay under God’s hand, he will make you a magnet to some stuff. Remember when God told Abraham that everywhere the sole of his feet touched, he would give to him?
The foundation of favor
Favor is the supernatural strength that gives us the ability to excel in areas, you shouldn’t have otherwise been able to excel in. God has given us the privilege to rule and to reign, as God does in heaven.
Psalm 8:4-9 (NKJV) says 4 What is man that You are mindful of him, And the son of man that You visit him? 5 For You have made him a little lower than the angels,[a] And You have crowned him with glory and honor. 6 You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands; You have put all things under his feet, 7 All sheep and oxen— Even the beasts of the field, 8 The birds of the air, And the fish of the sea That pass through the paths of the seas. 9 O Lord, our Lord How excellent is Your name in all the earth! – What the psalmist is attempting to get us understand is how God supernaturally puts his abilities in our situation so that we can operate in the natural.
Hebrews 2:6-9 (NKJV) says 6 But one testified in a certain place, saying: “What is man that You are mindful of him, Or the son of man that You take care of him? 7 You have made him a little lower than the angels; You have crowned him with glory and honor,[a] And set him over the works of Your hands. 8 You have put all things in subjection under his feet.”[b]For in that He put all in subjection under him, He left nothing that is not put under him. But now we do not yet see all things put under him. 9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone.- To understand the rightful place of favor, you got to understand the hierarchy of government.
The hierarchy is as follows:
- It is God the Father
- God the Son
- God the Holy Ghost.
- The God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are one.
- Next is the angels
- Next is us
How does God demonstrate his power in heaven and on earth?
- When did God first come to the earth, it wasn’t the garden as many may think. Scripture says it was God’s voice. The earth is carnal and full of corruption. Heaven is representative of incorruption. Earth is finite, but heaven is infinite. When God first came to earth, he came through his son who had to have access through a woman, through flesh. Jesus Christ was God in the flesh, God in Christ. God first came to earth as Jesus Christ. He came, He died, and He rose again and is seated on the right side of the throne with all power in his hands.
- Angels also make trips from heaven to earth. God gives angels charge concerning you. Angels do leave heaven and come to earth. The scripture says be careful of entertaining strangers, because many have entertained angels unaware.
- There are times that God sends angels to block stuff on your behalf. The critical question is, if God has power in heaven and in earth, where then is our power?
- God said he would not leave us comfortless.
- The Holy Spirit came and dwelt among them. Since God the Father won’t come to earth himself, he sent his Son, the angels, and the Holy Spirit for us.
- Where is God? He is in us. The bible says greater is God within you than he who is in the world. Since God is in you, then wherever God is, you can go. This means you can go between heaven and earth.
- Jesus asked whom do they say I am? Peter said to Jesus, “Thou art the son of the living God” Jesus went on to say that on this rock he would build his church and that whatever Peter loosed in heaven, would be loosed on earth. What this really means is the word. The word you lose on earth goes to heaven and loses things that will cause things to be loosed on earth. When you release stuff to heaven, heaven responds. We have dominion over things in heaven and don’t even realize it.
- Psalm 21:5 (NKJV) says 5 His glory is great in Your salvation; Honor and majesty You have placed upon him. – You got glory on you. People say you different when you walk into a place. They look like you belong here. It is because there is glory on you.
God gave us dominion over the work of his hands
- God gave man dominion over the earth. Genesis 1:28 (NKJV) says 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
- God put all things under your feet. 1 Corinthians 15:27 (NKJV) says 27 For “He has put all things under His feet.”[a] But when He says “all things are put under Him,” it is evident that He who put all things under Him is excepted. – There was an angel in heaven called Lucifer. He got prideful and start wanting the praise to go to him. As result, he got cast out of heaven, because isn’t going to share his glory with anyone. At this point, Lucifer was place beneath you.
- Lucifer became Satan. He has been placed beneath you, so we have to stop empowering stuff that is supposed to be beneath us.
The faith for favor
- Faith activates favor – If you don’t have faith, God can’t trust you with favor. Genesis 12:1-3 (NKJV) says 12 Now the Lord had said to Abram: “Get out of your country, From your family And from your father’s house, To a land that I will show you.2 I will make you a great nation; I will bless you And make your name great; And you shall be a blessing.3 I will bless those who bless you, And I will curse him who curses you; And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.” – When you step out on faith, you attract favor in your life. You’ll be able to say, “I’m a magnet for favor”.
- Favor supersedes adversity. Genesis 12:10-20 (NKJV) says 10 Now there was a famine in the land, and Abram went down to Egypt to dwell there, for the famine was severe in the land. 11 And it came to pass, when he was close to entering Egypt, that he said to Sarai his wife, “Indeed I know that you are a woman of beautiful countenance. 12 Therefore it will happen, when the Egyptians see you, that they will say, ‘This is his wife’; and they will kill me, but they will let you live. 13 Please say you are my sister, that it may be well with me for your sake, and that I[a] may live because of you.”14 So it was, when Abram came into Egypt, that the Egyptians saw the woman, that she was very beautiful. 15 The princes of Pharaoh also saw her and commended her to Pharaoh. And the woman was taken to Pharaoh’s house. 16 He treated Abram well for her sake. He had sheep, oxen, male donkeys, male and female servants, female donkeys, and camels.17 But the Lord plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai, Abram’s wife. 18 And Pharaoh called Abram and said, “What is this you have done to me? Why did you not tell me that she was your wife? 19 Why did you say, ‘She is my sister’? I might have taken her as my wife. Now therefore, here is your wife; take her and go your way.” 20 So Pharaoh commanded his men concerning him; and they sent him away, with his wife and all that he had.– Abram went to Egypt to avoid famine. After the Pharaoh found out that Sarai was Abram’s wife, he had to leave, but he didn’t leave empty handed. With favor, you never leave empty handed. Favor has nothing to do with a zip code. It has to do with obedience and faith to move when God says move.
- Genesis 13:1NKJV) says 13 Then Abram went up from Egypt, he and his wife and all that he had, and Lot with him, to the South.[a] – When you have favor first, you attract the blessing. Stop apologizing for being blessed, when you have favor over your life.
- Genesis 14:20 (NKJV) says 20 And blessed be God Most High, Who has delivered your enemies into your hand.” And he gave him a tithe of all. – Abraham had adversaries when you are blessed. When you get more cheese, you attract more rats.
- Abraham gave God a 10th of it all he aha. Favor was before the law.
God will bring new things, but other things will be restored.
- Psalm 80:19 (NKJV) says 19 Restore us, O Lord God of hosts; Cause Your face to shine, And we shall be saved!, Joel 2:25-27 (NKJV) says 25 “So I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, The crawling locust, The consuming locust, And the chewing locust,[a] My great army which I sent among you. 26 You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, And praise the name of the Lord your God, Who has dealt wondrously with you; And My people shall never be put to shame. 27 Then you shall know that I am in the midst of Israel: I am the Lord your God And there is no other. My people shall never be put to shame.- When you have favor, you will stop whining over what you lost.
- Favor brings protection- Psalm 41:11 (NKJV) 11 By this I know that You are well pleased with me, Because my enemy does not triumph over me.– my enemies try hard, but they never win.
- Isaiah 54:17 (NKJV) says 17 No weapon formed against you shall prosper, And every tongue which rises against you in judgment You shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, And their righteousness is from Me,” Says the Lord.,
- Psalm 84:12New King James Version (NKJV) 12 O Lord of hosts, Blessed is the man who trusts in You! God’s desire for you life, is to have so much favor, you don’t worry about anything that comes at you, because you know you are covered.
There is a prayer we pray when we bless the food. We call this he blessing. It is where we thank God for the food, the hands that prepared it, and those we pray for those who may be without. When you step your prayer up to favor then it sound a little different and it goes a little deeper. When you have favor, you not only thank him for the food, you thank him that you have an appetite. When you have favor, you thank God that you don’t have to eat through a feeding tube. When you have favor you not only thank him for the job, but you thank him that you are able to do your job, even when you don’t feel like it. When you have favor, you not only thank him for the house, you thank him that your house is a home.
May God’s favor be on you…