Synopsis of Bible Study 02/19/14
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Anchor: (NKJV) Luke 6:22 22 Blessed are you when men hate you, And when they exclude you,
And revile you, and cast out your name as evil,For the Son of Man’s sake.
(NKJV) John 1:11 11 He came to His own,c and His own did not receive Him.
Understanding what Jesus says about rejection:
Expect people not to want you to be in their company. People who reject you are not part of the design that God has planned for your life. Often you will be rejected more in familiar places than you will strange places. People will accept you more away from your familiar surroundings.
Rejection happens to us in a variety of ways:
a. Rejection is the idea of not being wanted.
Two ways we are rejected:
- Emotional rejection – This kind of rejection has an emotional impact on you. You ask questions like, “Why didn’t I get picked? Why didn’t you hire me?” This kind of rejection can be devastating!
- Interpersonal rejection – This is rejection of loved ones. This is severance of a relationship that seemed to be long termed. As result, you feel there is a stigma tied to you, and you develop a fear of being rejected. We begin to speak in the negative about what we really want in the positive, for example “Ya’ll wouldn’t want to hire me, wouldn’t you?”
Why does rejection wound so deeply?
- It calls into question your worth and value – This is about your self esteem. You have to know that God loves you, God accepts you, and appreciates you, no matter what anyone else thinks.
- God’s word tells us, if we are not rooted and grounded in love, we can’t experience the fullness of God in our lives. This is made evident in (NKJV) Ephesians 3:19 where it says 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.- Rejection has a way of destroying your life in a way that few other things can. Rejection can cause spiritual issues that allow openings for the enemy to come in.
- Rejection causes us to have envy, to blame God, and to have jealousy.
- Jealousy is built up from rejection. Ex- You not really jealous of your friend getting married, but you have moments that you why it couldn’t be you.
- 5. You start blaming God. You feel like God is not being fair, because you know that you have been faithful. If we would be honest, many of us have had this feeling. All of us deal with rejection in one way or another.
Strategy to deal with rejection
- You got to know God for yourself. – God is love. You got to understand and experience God in his fullness. (NKJV) 1 John 4:8 says 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.- God’s love is accepting, loving, and forgiving. No matter what your issue is, know that God is an accepting God.
- Know that people can be so self-righteous that they will reject you, because of your issue – If any place should be forgiving and accepting, it should be “the church”. God accepts us all, regardless of our issues.
- God is not re-jective – (NKJV) Leviticus 26:11 11 I will set My tabernacle among you, and My soul shall not abhor you., (NKJV) Isaiah 41:9 9 You whom I have taken from the ends of the earth, And called from its farthest regions , And said to you, You are My servant , I have chosen you and have not cast you away:- God says he will never cast you away, (NKJV) Psalms 94:14 14 For the Lord will not cast off His people, Nor will He forsake His inheritance.- God will never cast you away, no matter how much you cast him away. He will never disconnect from you. God sees something in you that is salvageable. He believes in what he has placed in your life.
- When you don’t understand the love of God, and you are looking for the acceptance of people, you will spend most of your time trying to get people to unlove others in order for them to love you. You should learn to love God who gives you love every day. (NKJV) 2 Corinthians 4:9 says 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed—- We are not forsaken. – If there is one thing that can make people reject you, it’s persecution. (NKJV) Hebrews 13:5 5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you. p– Stop coveting others. Be content in what you have!
Satan has plans
- Got to love and accept. (NKJV) John 13:34 34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.- You can’t allow people that reject you to be your issue, because when we know God, we know his love can’t be separated from himself. Know that a person can’t love God and not love us. If you know and love God, you got to know and love his children.
- Satan is busy – (NKJV) 2 Corinthians 4:4 says 4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.- The devil wants to blind your mind. If Satan can cause your mind not to receive God’s word, then he can make your mind blinded. This means you will be blind to the things that God has for you and the things that God wants you to do.
- Jesus understood what rejection was. (NKJV) Luke 17:25 25 But first He must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation.- When Luke writes this to this generation (in the scripture), it was prophetic! This scripture says that this generation did not accept him (Jesus). No generation has been more rejective of Christ as this generation is right now. There is a song that says, “… get right church and lets go home…” The the stuff you see go on today in the world today ought to have you on your face trying to get to know God more now than ever before.
- People that reject Christ, will often reject you. – When people reject God, it is easy to reject you. If they reject God, it is normal for them to reject you.
How do your respond to people who reject you?
(NKJV) 1 Corinthians 4:12 says 12 And we labor, working with our own hands. Being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we endure;- People reject us and we will still bless them. We refuse to let the rejection of others, become a issue about us.
How do they reject us:
- In the natural– This is alleged rejection and repressed memories. There are stuff we hold onto that we haven’t gotten over yet. Ex – Bishop says he remembers the exact day and place and time, when he was rejected for the first time. He wanted to take Pam Evens to prom. With his friends around, he asked her to go to the prom with him. When he asked her, she turned around and said, “Get out of my face ugly boy!” Bishop says it took yrs for him to get over this. As a result, he spent the rest of his time trying to prove her wrong. He made drum major for instance and it was primarily to prove Pam wrong.
Bishop says he couldn’t wait for their 10 yr class reunion. Bishop says he drove 9 hrs in his new car, just so he could pull up in front of the gym entrance and let Pam Evans see him. Pam saw him and said “hi” to him, but Bishop says he remembers saying “hi” to everyone else but her (as to minimize her the way she did him yrs ago). We do the same thing right today. We post new pics of our new boo so that our old boo will see them. We hope that someone will forward what we posted to the person that rejected us. Know that we can’t live our life trying to find affirmation from the person that rejected us.
We act by fight, fright, flight. Fright is what Bishop experienced in his reaction to Pam. By the time he reached 12th grade, he was scared to ask anyone to the prom. Flight is when we have been rejected and now we are out of here.
- Christian response – We have to stop perpetuating a person’s acceptance.
- We must find our acceptance in our identity in Christ- God received and accepted us. (NKJV) Romans 15:7 7 Therefore receive one another, just as Christ also received us,c to the glory of God.- Stop changing God’s design to get somebody to accept you. Know that you have been accepted by God.
- The Lord takes you up. (NKJV) Psalms 27:10 10 When my father and my mother forsake me,
Then the Lord will take care of me.- If your mother and father drops you, it is the moment where God will take you up. God won’t let your destiny cease. Though Joseph (in the bible) was rejected, he ended up working for the governor in the end. Any rejection that you experience will not stop God’s plan for your life.
- Don’t worry about who dropped you. God will pick you up and give you a testimony. Ex-Show up with your powerful testimony. Lots of people who were originally rejected, ended up great!
- We must always accept others- (NKJV) Acts 4:9 9 If we this day are judged for a good deed done to a helpless man, by what means he has been made well, – Peter and John raised a man from gate called Beautiful that many paid no attention to.
- (NKJV) Psalms 118:22 22 The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief cornerstone.- Jesus was the stone that he builder rejected, but later became the chief cornerstone.