Living a life of purpose III
Synopsis of Bible Study 01/22/14
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
(NKJV) Ephesians 2:10 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
God put everything in you that you need to fulfill your purpose. Having said this, know that you weren’t born lazy, you just became lazy. You weren’t born trifling, you just became trifling. You have to live then a life that is pleasing to God
Spiritual gifts are God given capacity to Christians to carry out the functions of Christ. When you understand what your spiritual gifts are, this will help you carry out Gods goals, makes you aware of your location or position, helps your decision making, and more.
You have to find your gift
In order to do this, you have to make an assessment of your life. (NKJV) 1 Corinthians 12:5 says 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. – We have to understand that the body is full of many different gifts and we must also understand that our gifts were given to us by God. If we be honest, sometimes we ask God why he didn’t give us a gift like the one somebody else has. We have to know that God knows exactly what to give you, because he knows you and he knows your capacity. God knows what we can handle.
Your gift must be developed once it is identified – (NKJV) Romans 12:4-8 4 For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, 5 so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. 6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; 7 or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; 8 he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness. – One of the things that are fascinating about Paul’s writings is Paul uses anthropomorphic imagery. In other words, Paul uses human anatomy to explain things. Paul says each part of the body effects the others, so each part has to do what it was designed to do. Ex- Ever woke up from a sleep and everything woke up but your foot? It is not that your body can’t move, but because your foot won’t wake up, you aren’t able to move at the pace that you were originally designed to move. Just like this, when you sleep on your gifts, you hinder the whole body. You can’t operate in the way that God intended for you to move. No part of the body is insignificant. There is no part of your own body that you feel is so insignificant enough that you would want it amputated. The same then goes for the Body of Christ.
(NKJV) 2 Timothy 1:6 says 6 Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. – We are here today to tell you to stir up the gift! God has given you something to do. Don’t be guilty of hindering the body by no using your gift!
How do we narrow down what our gift is?
- Ask what idea, things, places, or people you are most inspired by?
- Ask what are you most complimented on in the Body of Christ?
- Ask what do you often give to others?
- Ask what do others look to you for?
Exploring areas of passion for purpose
No matter if you are the most reserved person in church, you have passion. (NKJV) Luke 12:34 says 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. – Another word for heart is passion. If we could snatch your phone and look at your phone log or examine your credit card statement, we could find out what your passions are. Often, a person invests into what they are passionate about.
Passion can be misguided. Every day you wake up, there is a competition in the spirit realm for your passion. Every day you wake up, the spirit realm is petitioning for your passion. In fact, there are lots of drug dealers on the street that could be CEOs of corporations right now. They are passionate people, but darkness has their passion. The devil wants your passion. You got to learn to put your passions towards the things of God. Remember Samson had passion that was misguided and he ended up with a haircut from hell!
When passion in line with purpose, it indicates that your first passion has become God. People whose first passion is not with God are confused at why you are not passionate about them. This is because you are only passionate for people whose first passion is with God too. If you ever let a person become your first passion, then you become one who is easily let down. God never lets us down!
When you discover your passion, you have to ask these questions:
- What is it that I love doing (in the spirit) that keeps me up all night long?
- What brings me the most joy?
- What do I do, when I lose track of time? Note: Video games don’t count!
- What is it that I would do even if I am not paid for it?
You can’t burry what God has given to you. There is great treasure in you!
(NKJV) 2 Corinthians 4:7 7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us.- Treasure buried becomes dormant and does not expand. We then must allow treasure to be cultivated by the spirit of God inside of us. We are nothing but a collection of dirt. God says he will put this treasure or gift inside of us and allow this imperfect person to perform that gift (his gift) and that it still comes out perfect. We often miss benefiting from some gifts, because we get caught up in a person’s vessels. Sometimes, we are amazed that God will choose us to do great things through us as flawed as we are. The gifting and the anointing that flows through you confirms that God puts treasure in trash!
How do we nurture this treasure?
- Never think of speak negatively about yourself in a way that puts you in disagreement with God.
- Meditate on your God given strength and learn to encourage yourself.
- Don’t compare yourself to anyone else. Know that you are unique. Be who God made you to be. Stop committing people plagiarism. Coby Bryant wasn’t trying to be the next Michael Jordon, he was trying to just be Coby. Understand who God made you to be. God made you to be original. Why are you trying to be someone else? Don’t minimize yourself based on someone else’ gift.
- Don’t focus on your limitations.
- Find what you like to do, do it well, and strive for excellence.
- Have the courage to be different. Don’t be a people pleaser.
- Learn to handle criticism. Don’t be so thin skinned. Remember when Jesus was baptized, the Holy Spirit descended on him and voice came from heave saying “This is my beloved son of whom I am well pleased” The voice of God said he was pleased with Jesus, yet his haters still hated on him! If they hated Jesus after that, what makes you think that people won’t hate on you?
- Determine your own worth instead of letting others do it for you. Walk into the room like you supposed be there. Act like you got it, even if you don’t. Walk in confidence!
- Keep your shortcomings in perspective. Know that you are still a work in process. – You think God is going to punish you for things you done three years ago? God is not like that. God is a forgiving God.
- Focus on your great source of confidence – which is God. (NKJV) Matthew 25:24-30 (read) 24 “Then he who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.’
26 “But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 27 So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents.
29 ‘For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. 30 And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ – Many of us are guilty of sitting on our gifts. How would you feel if your Pastor got up one Sunday morning and said he didn’t feel like preaching and then passed the mic to one of his associates? What if he did this for six weeks straight? You might understand at first, but eventually you would feel a certain way about this. It isn’t because you are hung up on the Pastor, it would be because you would feel that you have been deprived of his gift. After all, you probably joined that church, because of the gift that is flowing through that Pastor. Keeping this in mind, you must know that Pastors feel the same way about its members. When you just attend church and leave and never share your gift, then you are depriving the ministry of your gift. There is something that you are supposed to deposit in the house to bless the Body of Christ.
(NKJV) Ephesians 4:16 says 16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.- Every part of the body has a responsibility to do its share. This means if one person has a gift such as an arm and another had a gift such as a hand, then they have to learn to function together. Say another person has a gift such as a mouth. If the body was to go and eat, we are all depending on the mouth gift to work. If the mouth refuses to open and chew, we can’t eat. Aside from that, if we go to eat and the hand and the arm are at odds with each other, then we can’t eat still. We would depend on them to put the food into the mouth. If they are not getting along, it’s not just a spat, its one part of the body hindering the whole body. Same scenario as stumping your little toe. Everything has to be in sink. It is like the left leg and right leg being at odds with each other. If the left leg wants to leave and the right leg don’t won’t to move, then the body can’t move. When gifts don’t want to flow, you put a strain on the whole body. If you get upset at someone in your house and everyone is paying ¼ of the bills, then we are in trouble at rent time. If 3 have to pay for what was designed for 4 to pay, it puts a strain on the remaining 3. It’s not how many you can count, it’s how many you can count on!
Maximizing your gifts
(NKJV) 1 Peter 4:10 10 As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God., (NKJV) 1 Corinthians 12:13-14 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink intoq one Spirit.14 For in fact the body is not one member but many.- God gives you have capacity to handle what he has called you to do.
How do we maximize our gifts?
- Got to be faithful in little. Small beginnings lead to bigger things. God wants to know he can trust you with little before giving you a lot.
- Be diligent in your gifts. (NKJV) Proverbs 22:29 29 Do you see a man who excels in his work?
He will stand before kings; He will not stand before unknown men. – You can’t go through seasons of vacillating.
- Overcome your failures. You got to pull yourself together and realize that you are a champions. Know that you going to mess up sometimes, but this doesn’t make you a failure.
- Avoid procrastination. (NKJV) Proverbs 13:4 4 The soul of a lazy man desires, and has nothing;
But the soul of the diligent shall be made rich. – You have to overcome the spirit of procrastination. Do things when they are due. Ex- If you put of answering email, you will have a pile that you can’t answer in a very short time. Do it now!
- Seek encouraging surroundings. Surround yourself with people that are encouraging. (NKJV) Proverbs 23:7 7 For as he thinks in his heart, so is he. “Eat and drink!” he says to you, But his heart is not with you. – Some people make you want to start drinking, when you’re not a person that drinks. They just simply drain you. Get negativity out of your life! Say this to yourself, “I am the average of the 5 people I spend the most time with.”
- The outcome of your gift must glorify God first. Everyone wants fame and popularity. This is why reality TV has gotten so popular.
- Know it is about the grace of God; it is the grace of God that allows us to do what we do. When you walk in purpose, there is a certain grace about it. Somebody will see you take on a crisis and say “Boy you’re a good one”. Ex- Every time you go to pick up your child from the daycare center and see all of the workers working with all those kids, you ought to think it is amazing that they can do this. Most people can’t handle their one kid and these people are handling 20, 30, or 40. This is why God puts into you what you need, in order for you to do what he has called you to do.
Ask God to give you the grace to do what you do…