Maturing in Purpose Part II
Maximizing your potential
Synopsis of Bible Study 01/16/23
Delivered by Bishop Walker
Potential is what you are capable of doing, zbut haven’t done yet. It is ability lying dormant waiting to be released. There are many countless stories where children were trapped under a car or something heavy and their parents, although they were at best 4′ 11” and 125lbs, were able to lift the car off of their kid in that particular moment. The potential was there lying dormant all the time. God will create situations that will cause that which is lying dormant to come to surface. This is why we can’t complain. Some of the situations God allowed, made stuff to come to surface that was lying dormant inside of you.
You have to know that there are hindrances that prevent what is inside of you from coming to the surface. Some of them are:
- The last successful project– This can be a hindrance to you. You may feel tired for example after graduating from school, when all the time you had a Master or Doctrinal degree inside you. You are too busy celebrating past success and not tapping into your full potential.
- What others attempted, but failed – You doubt your potential based off of the potential and failures of other people.
- You become consumed with your own problems – You become consumed by a lack of adequacies, bad finances, or lack of abilities. Know that if it is God’s will, it’s his bill.
- We reject God’s representative – You reject who God sent to mentor you and help you to get to your promise.
- You are enslaved to traditional methods – You can get caught up in doing the same ole same ole. Move away from archaic ways. Don’t allow, the way you have always done something, to prevent you from walking in your full potential.
If it is in us, then we have to learn to look at ourselves the way God sees us.
We can’t get caught up in how other people see us. God recognizes your next level potential before you do. Gen 1:27 says we are made in the image of God. This means in spirit. God put enough of Himself inside of us and that makes us have the ability to produce like He does. You have the potential to literally speak into the atmosphere and make something where nothing exists (Genesis 1:27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.).
The worst insult to a daddy is for someone to say his kid doesn’t look anything like him. All dads want to know that they put their mark on their children. God is the same way, he wants to know that when you do things, you look like him. Psalms 139.14 says he molded you to be like him (Psalms 139:14
I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well.).
God says when he sees us, he sees an amazing finished product. God took his time and all the parts that were needed came with us. Just like a product from the store, batteries were included.
Jer 29:11 – God says he knows the thoughts that he has towards us. He sees our end, not our beginning. We are the one that gets caught up with the things that occur along the way. If we could see ourselves like he does, we would see our end just like God does (Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.).
God says he will not let us miscarry what he has put in us. Phil 1.6 – God is going to finish what he started in us, so we can’t quit (Philippians 1:6 being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;). This is why you can’t really run. When you leave a thing, you will end up coming right back to it. God sees us as his completed work.
What is available to me in God’s word
Rom 8:32 says If God gave us his son Jesus, he is going to give to us freely (32He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?). Every promise in God’s word is available in our lives.
Psalms 84:11 teaches us that if we walk upright, all of God’s promises are available to us (Psalms 84:11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield; The Lord will give grace and glory; No good thing will He with hold From those who walk uprightly).
Eph 3:30 – God is able to give me all the promises in his word when we are walking upright and as a result, when we ask for it, whatever we can imagine, God says he can still out do whatever we imagine (Ephesians 3:20 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,) We have to live a life of diligence. God won’t just open the door, he will give you the building.
God’s word is a menu and that menu is inside of you, therefore, whatever you order is on the menu and God will give it to you and He will supersize it! If we don’t understand our potential, we will ask God for little stuff. We have to think about something that will blow our mind. You can’t be big if little got you!
Develop a life of diligence
Diligence is purpose, calculated pursuit of consistency, to hold your course with maximum sustained effort, based on our commitment to God. It is maximum sustained effort! When we get on a plane, we believe a maximum sustained thrust will get us off the ground at the end of the runway. Like this scenerio, many of us are good up the runway, but it takes diligence to take off. Diligence keeps us fruitful, faithful, and focused so we don’t fall off.
Prov 13:4 teaches that lazy people desire stuff (4The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat.). Lazy people are always working on stuff, but it never comes to fruition.
Prov 10:4 teaches that he who works a plan, God blesses (Proverbs 10:4nHe who has a slack hand becomes poor, But the hand of the diligent makes rich.). God does not promote triflingness. We don’t throw things together when we try to walk into our potential. We are diligent with our work. It is like a teacher saying on your report card, “I expect more from you”.
Prov 12:24 says If you are lazy, you will end up in forced labor (Proverbs 12:24 The hand of the diligent will rule, But the lazy man will be put to forced labor.). If you are diligent, you work forced labor with a different mindset. You know you will have your own place to run one day. We refuse to be in forced labor all our lives! You have the same potential in you as the person that owns the business that you work for.
Ecl 9:10 says we are going to die from this earth, so whatever you do, do it well (Ecclesiastes 9:10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going.).
2 Chron 31:21 teaches that whatever Hezekiah did, he did it with all his heart (2 Chronicles 31:21 And in every work that he began in the service of the house of God, in the law and in the commandment, to seek his God, he did it with all his heart. So he prospered.). Whatever level you are on, you do the work diligently. Don’t treat it small just because it isn’t the level you want to be at. You’re not that person at the grocery store that just grimly says, “You got any coupons? or what do you want!? Whatever you do, do it right or don’t do it at all!
Making wise decisions will help bring the potential out of you
Many of us haven’t made wise decisions, but we aim to make it better.
Some things that influence our decisions
- Our flesh– This is how you feel, your carnal mind (what you think), satanic counsel (something’s telling me…), or the word (it is written…)
- Wisdom– James 1:5 say if you lack wisdom ask God and he will give it to you (James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.). How many wish you could erase some of the decision you made in your life?
- Ask for wisdom in relationships – When you are about purpose, you relationships are import. 2 Cor 6:14 – What business does light have with darkness? (14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?). 1 Cor 15.33 says evil corrupts good.( 33Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.).
- Prov 27:17 teaches us that iron sharpens iron (17Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.). You need people around you that inspire you to do your best. You don’t need to be with that person that is never doing anything and who is always about nothing.
- Wisdom financially – Prov 22.7 teaches that You have allowed yourself to get in debt trying to impress people who really don’t like you anyway (7The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.). You can’t live out your full potential, because you are constantly in debt. We need to tithe too. This is good for your finances. Mal 3:10 teaches us that God will get your tithe one way or another (10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.). If you fail to tithe, sometimes things around you will just start breaking down out of the blue. Then God will send a tithing technician to your house to fix it for you. God will get it one way or the other!
- Luke 6:38 reaffirms that it’s about giving (38Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.). It is about process. It is about wise decisions. Add up the stuff that broke down when you didn’t tithe and most of the time you will find that you would have been better off paying your tithes.
- Its about being connected spiritually – Who you are connected to spiritually, has a lot to do with where you are going. What you stand underis what you understand Jer 3:15 (15And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.) – God connects you to a Pastor and a word for your destiny. When God gives Pastors, it is because God knows where you are going. We know we are connected to right Pastor when we were praying about something and the Pastor starts confirming things for you with in his sermon and his teachings.
4 reasons you make wise choices
- Because you have to live with it.
- Because your choices effect the lives of innocent people.
- Because it will affect your Christian witness.
- Because it demonstrates to God, we can be trusted to manage kingdom resources.
How many of you in 2013, can say that you have made some wise choices so far this year?
Operate in Excellence
Excellence is paying attention to detail, that gives birth to superior performance. It causes maximized potential promotion into a life of one that gives praise to God.
Some people are allergic to excellence. Isa 1:17– Learn to do well (17Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.),1 Cor 14.40 – We must do things decent and in order (40Let all things be done decently and in order.). You can’t aspire to that which you have not been exposed to. Excellene attracts and must be pursued to please God.
It is our desire to achieve excellence. Excellence must outweigh the pain we experience from change or people might cause us to abort it.
When you operate in excellence, some people might think you are arrogant.
- An enemy to Excellence is comparison
- Compromise is that which is a “that will do” spirit. It is really settling.
- Corrupt communication- This is stuff you release in the atmosphere. It is cosigning on stuff that is not excellent.
- Inconsistency – You start out strong, but then you get flighty.
- Cheap mentality – Your wife asks you for a couple dollars and you pull out two dollars exactly. When you start rigging stuff up instead of fixing things right, this is another sign as well. Here you are trying to get out of the cost of things. You have to get delivered from this cheap mentality. You deserve the best you are able to do.
Produce to the glory of God
Potential is about the end or simply “to produce”. It is the product. It is the will of God for us to be productive and produce fruit, regardless to what we have done.
God then has to prune us
John 15:1-8 (1I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.3Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.5I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.6If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.7If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.8Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.) – This scripture is saying Jesus is the true vine and his father is the gardener. Every vine that doesn’t produce, He cuts it off. Those that are producing he has to prune, to allow us to produce more. You had all this stuff in you, he had to purge us.
Verse 4 says, You can do nothing outside of a relationship with Him. He is the vine a we are the branches. Try, but you can’t do it without him. If you want to do it your way, you will be cast out as a branch and you will begin to wither. As a result, you will cast into forced labor, left in the hands of man instead of the hands of God. When they get through using you hup, they will burn you up and throw you away. If you abide with Him, whatever you desire, it will be done unto you. By this we mean, the Father is glorified, because you produce fruit and look like Jesus.
Bishop explains that when he was 7, he stood in church doing his Easter speech. Bishop explains that he knew his speech, but his knees buckled. When it was time for him to do his speech, he stood before the crowd and said, “I forgot my words”. The strange thing was he wasn’t ridiculed. He was instead put into an environment where his potential was realized. He was motivated and encouraged. Because he was put into an environment that nurtured him instead of ridiculing him, Bishop is able to stand before us today. God was going to complete the work He started in him. In you is this amazing capacity, to write a book, write some songs, and many other ideas. People say that you can’t do that, but you knew it was in you. You just need somebody to motivate you and push it out of you, but you got to do it (the work).
You can do all things through Christ that strengthens you, but you have to see what is inside of you. The key here is diligence. We honestly believe that the only difference is that they tapped into their potential. We have to see ourselves much greater than what we compare ourselves to. If you can get the right folk around you and push that potential out, eyes have not seen nor have heard the things nor has it entered into the hearts of man what God has for you! Declare that from this day forward, we will not let anything hinder our potential from coming forward! From this day forward, we believe God is positioning us to blow our mind.