Maturing in Purpose
Maximizing your potential
Synopsis of Bible Study 01/09/13
Delivered by Bishop Walker
It is critical for every believer to work through purpose. Some people work through it and think they got it, but they don’t. Purpose can be, elusive. Understanding it is rough. You think you got it, then you hit a brick wall. You spend time getting to it just to find out it that this isn’t it (what you thought was purpose). You got to know that God always has a plan for your life.
When you look at the church of Ephesus, you will learn that they were a church about doing things. They thought by doing good works and good deeds, they were automatically saved. Paul explains that this doesn’t make us saved. In Eph 2:9, he teaches that we are not saved by works but grace(8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast). It is not about works or what you do, it is about Calvary that saved you
In verse 10, we drop anchor (10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them).
Paul declares that we are his workmanship
God crafted or made you to align with his purpose for your life and it is only possible through a relationship with Jesus Christ revealed to you in relationship, though it didn’t start there. God crafted you to line up with what he already preordained for our life. We are a piece of a puzzle called purpose and until we fit, the puzzle doesn’t look right.
What is purpose?
It is the original intent of a thing. The purpose is defined by the maker of a thing or in other words defined only by the mind of the maker.
God is the manufacturer and we are the product that has been manufactured. If people don’t understand the purpose of a thing, they will abuse a thing. So people who don’t understand that the manufacturer made you for a purpose, don’t know how to handle you. You came with a manual and that manual is the bible. If they don’t treat you according to the manual, they don’t handle you according to purpose. Your purpose is defined by the manual. You came created with a warranty . It was a lifetime manufacturer’s warranty. Whatever goes wrong in your life, as long as you go to the manufacturer, he can handle it at no charge. If you try to go to anyone else trying to get it fixed, you find that they will not cover it.
The manufacturer, God, has made us his workmanship. When God made us, he took his sweet time. Before the foundations of the world, he made us. God says, before he formed you in the mother’s womb, he knew you. You are a spiritual being occupying a physical body, so the only way that you can understand purpose is that you see yourself as a spirit being. This means that you need to connect in the spirit to understand your purpose.
Often, much like the church of Ephesus, focus on what we do. The church of Ephesus thought if they did this or that, they would be ok as it relates to being saved. Just like that church at Ephesus, we often associate purpose with what we do. What is it God that we are supposed to be doing? Know that it is not about what we do, it is about who we “be”… If we don’t be who He wants us to be, he will never trust us to do what he wants us to do. The problem is we got a lot of people doing, but not “being”.
Can you truly say you are doing what God wants you to do? Those of you that know what it is that God wants you to do, but feel you can’t step into it, know this: When you are willing to be what God wants you to be, when you manifest the “be”, God will open up an opportunity for you to do. Maybe the door to do is not open, because you haven’t been “being”. So don’t rush the do. Purpose is tied to who you “be”.
How does that look (purpose)?
We are created with a purpose. We go through life frustrated, because we don’t realize that we are God’s workmanship. Know first, that you are not an accident. God wanted you to get here. He wanted you to exist for a reason. Why? It’s because he had a plan and purpose for your life. What is it? We Were created to know God.
Two things that are of note in that verse:
- You are not an accident – God wanted you to exist and occupy space for a reason, because he had a plan and purpose for your life. What is it? We were created to know God. Do you know how many people who are doing, but they really don’t know God?
- Your first requirement is to know God the manufacturer, to know who has created you, and to know who has called you through Jesus Christ.
In John 14:6 Jesus says I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the father but through me (10Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.). John 3:3 says, God says no one can see the kingdom unless he is born again (3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God). This means then we must be born again.
How does purpose manifest?
We can’t know purpose outside a relationship with Jesus Christ.
What does being “born again” mean? This means our purpose existed before our flesh and tissue came together. Before we were embryos in our mother’s belly, we existed. Our spirit was with God. God knew our purpose before the foundations of the world. He knew the right moment to let us be born from our mother.
We came out of our mother’s flesh, unaware of the purpose God had for our lives. As we were born in the flesh, cross pollinating with other flesh and carnality, regardless of oppositions and social pressure, our purpose if we are not careful, all of a sudden becomes all the things that has nothing to do with the original intent of what we were born to do. We allow people to tell us they like this or that and all of a sudden we go down these paths that have nothing to do with what we were born to do.
How do we know what we were born to do? When we are born again, it is inviting the spirit back into us. It is saying Holy Ghost or Christ, come into me or my life and reveal to me, what you have done at the beginning of our existence. Therefore, we don’t make decisions out of our flesh. It is an informed decision born in the Spirit by His word. Know then that we are on projectory toward purpose, because we are saved.
Now our relationship with God is right. Now because we are saved, the more we want to know about God. The more we know about God, the more He reveals why we are here.
How many of you ever been in a relationship? Have you ever dated? There are things that are natural in this process. Dating is saying, I want to get to know you and as a result, we want a way to communicate with you. We want to talk on the phone and etc…, we want to go out, and we want to spend time in your presence. We just would like to get to know you. We come to each other’s house, but why? It is because we want to get to know you. God then, in like manner wants to know, can we talk? Can He get to know us? God says can we spend time together? God wants to know can your drop by his house? When you were dating, you would come over your girls/mans house no matter what. Why ? Because you wanted to get to know them. Your slogan was, ” Nothing you can say can keep me away from my girl/my guy”. When it comes to God however, you say, “It’s raining outside or it looks like snow” and then you don’t show. If you can’t say amen, just say ouch! If you want to get to know Him, you got to be willing to spend time with him and be willing to drop by His house.
Phil 3:10 says that I might know him in fellowship (10That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;). Fellowship is translated from the Greek word, 2842. koinonia koy-nohn-ee’-ah which means suffering. In other words, it is through experimental knowledge that we know God. It is the things that God let us suffer through that makes us know him. No matter what you read in a book or what anyone else tells you, know that you don’t know God until you experience some stuff.
A part of your purpose is when you take those experiences as part of the journey towards experiencing purpose in your life. What we experience is tied to our purpose Ex- We are in relationship with Jesus Christ, so everything that happens has to be tied to our purpose. In other words, and we know that all things work together for good for those who are called according to his purpose. This means if God allowed it, then it’s got to bless us. So when you go through things, you realize that it has nothing to do with where we are, but instead where God is taking us.
Story: God gave me dream that showed a piece of glass. It was like a window, we could see right through it. Weight was put on it and it broke. God showed the same piece of glass in the dream and weight was put on it as well, but this glass didn’t break. God told me that this glass had been tempered. It has been through the fire (or a process) and its purpose had come to fruition. Its purpose was to hold heavy stuff. You want to settle for being something to look at, but God is trying to get you to carry some heavy stuff. You have no idea of the things that are in store for you down the road!
Things you should know
- You were created to know God.
- You were created to grow in the gifts of the spirit -This is important because your attitude and outlooks are important. Lots of people do (work allegedly for God), but are mean and hateful. We have all encountered hateful ushers, preachers and choir members. This comes from people who are not operating in the fruits of the spirit. Why would God trust you to walk in purpose when no one can stand you. You can be notorious in your career, but you attitude kills it. Operate in the fruits of the spirit.
- It is about character-This is a display of godly values on a day to day basis. Character is anchored by integrity and maintained in adversity. Do you remember the fruits of the spirit? Gal 5:22–23 says 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law). When our love manifests, God will push you into a position where you have to love the unlovable. You got to learn to love people, or your purpose won’t come to pass. Jesus tried to teach this to the disciples when he said, “You will be hated of men for my sake”. Jesus was loved and hated in two different periods. They cried hosanna on Thursday when he entered the city, but on Friday, the same people said, “Crucify him!” Jesus was simply tied to purpose!
- Faithfulness-Our ability to be faithful in matters of life is honored – Many of us are so flighty. In January you can’t get treadmill at the gym. You have to wait and wait, but in February, all the treadmills are empty, because of flighty people.
- Self control – This is discipline or the ability to remove anything that is detrimental to our purpose. In purpose, you don’t waste time. Our purpose often doesn’t come to pass, because we don’t have discipline.
- Your purpose was created to spread the gospel. God says, he will not take you anywhere you won’t take him. Many people have got to the platform and never thanked God for the blessing of them getting there. If you won’t tithe on a scratch off, why would God trust you to tithe on the Powerball or any other kind of money?
- Matt 28 says go and make disciples (18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen). All of you go to jobs and campuses and we are supposed to share God wherever we go. You don’t have to open the bible all the time and spook people with it, but your ought to be willing enough to open up conversation and when opportunity come, be willing to explain or to allow your life to be an witness for God. If one person comes to Christ because of you, ought to be your goal for this year 2013.
- 6. Every test you have ought to be a testimony. Rom 1:16 says we will share God wherever we go (16For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.). We want people to know about Jesus. Don’t invite me if you don’t want to know about Jesus! You were created with talent that ought to be used for the glory of God.
- You have talents that ought to be used – Romans 12:4-8-Whatever talents you have ought to be used for God’s glory(4For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: 5So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. 6Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; 7Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; 8Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness).
- 1 Cor 12:27 teaches us that the right hand can’t over look the left (20But now are they many members, yet but one body.21And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.22Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:). Everyone wants to be a major part of the body and not the little part, but notice when you hit the little toe, the whole body gets to memo. The little toe represents the people behind the scenes. Know that it takes all positions to make everything work. How can the hear without the sound man or how can you feel welcomed without the greeters at the door?
- Ex-Bishop Walker says he wonders why God gave Royce (the church organist) all the voice and not him. God said to Bishop that it is because he knows that the voice would hinder Bishop’s preaching. God says Bishop would sing your way out of a sermon instead of preaching it. Know that together all the gifts work perfectly to make a perfect Ministry. Stay in your gift, because it will make room for you.
- Don’t downplay what you do. Some people in the pews can sing all the songs the choir sings, but they won’t join the choir. Be willing to take your place and use your gift.
- You were created to be glory to God – Isaiah 43:6-7 says everything you do must be for Gods glory (6 I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth; 7Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him). Don’t put together mess. God will not get the glory by you showing up to work late and leaving early.
- God created you to praise him. In everything praise God! Praise is a deliberate act to empower you to stand while you believe what you believe to come to pass. If you be who you be, you will do what you be, but if you do and not be, when things change you won’t do. Praise releases our purpose from every demonic hindrances. If we praise God, it comes from being.
If you would read Acts 16, you will find that Paul and Silas was being who they were called to be. They were evangelizing from town to town. There was a a woman in Lydia who sold purple cloth. She was somewhat of an entrepreneur. She got saved through Paul and Silas’s ministry and so did her house. Paul and Silas kept going. There was another girl they encountered that had a spirit of fortune telling and her wonders made a lot of money for her owners. As a result Paul and Silas were thrown into prison. They found themselves in a situation. Paul and Silas were talking about Jesus before getting locked up. They were being who they were and when the situation changed, they kept being who they be. Their doing was tied to their being, so they were going what they be. The others in Prison heard them singing praises to God. If what you go through stops you from what you are doing, then what you were doing was never purpose. Keep doing your purpose as you go through, because as Paul and Silas continued to operate in purpose (ministering), everyone’s chains came off. The same anointing that was on them before they went to jail, was on them while in jail. Our purpose is so awesome, the same thing will happen for us! Don’t worry about being relocating, because wherever you go, be who you be and make it do what it do! In him we move and do and have his being!