Beatitudes Part 5
Synopsis of Bible study 06/13/12
Delivered by Bishop Walker
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God…
Matthew 8:5: 5And when Jesus was entered intoCapernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him,
When we talk about matters of the heart, we are talking about our identity or who we are. Who we are and what we are determines the outcome of our lives. You can always trace the issues of a miserable person back to a matters of the heart.
Why do you respond the way you do? It is always, because of matters of the heart. In every snowflake there is a spec of dust. Like this, even at our best, there is a speck of dust in our heart.
Let’s understand what pure in heart really means. It comes from the words cleansed or purified. What comes out of ther those words is the word process. This means we are constantly cleansed and purified in our hearts. David prayed for the Lord to renew his heart. He recognized that life can taint even the puriest of hearts and everday this heart must be renewed.
This is all about process. Because of this, we have a tendancy to cover up what is wrong with us on the inside and we fluff up what is on the outside. Matthew 23:25: 25Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.-Inside you’re just jacked up! Matthew 23:26:26Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.- If you can get your heart right, everything else will follow suit. We have been told, cleanup the outside and the inside will follow. This however, is not true. Many of us can testify that there are a lot of pretty (on the outside) ugly (on the insided) people. John 15:3:3Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. – The more word you see, the more it purifies your heart. The word pushes out those things that are contrary to God’s word.
Integrity-This is simply doing what I said I was going to do. It is about being faithful to your assignement. It is based on the idea of being sincere in my heart, as oppossed to being divided in my heart.
Daivd has an amazing story when we look at his life. He fell short many times and we sometimes don’t know why God promoted David inspite of all his shortcomings. Psalm 78:70-72: 70He chose David also his servant, and took him from the sheepfolds: 71From following the ewes great with young he brought him to feed Jacob his people, and Israel his inheritance. 72So he fed them according to the integrity of his heart; and guided them by the skilfulness of his hands. – Like he did for David, God says he will trust us with our assginment. It was because God knew the integrity of his heart. Before trusting the skill of his hands, God wanted to test the integrity of his heart. If your heart is in the right place, God will give you the grace until you learn the skill.
The world gives based on skill and then they take the heart into account. When your heart is right, God will open a door for you and he will say, “Don’t worrry, I will prepare you for it.” God does it based on whats in your heart. Psalm 7:8: 8The LORD shall judge the people: judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity that is in me. -The Lord Judges us based on what is in our heart.
God is not impressed on what we do or say. What impresses him is what is in our hearts Psalm 25:21: 21Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.-Psalm 41:12 12And as for me, thou upholdest me in mine integrity, and settest me before thy face for ever.- God will uphold us according to our integrity which is based on what is in our heart.
Thank God we are not defined by what we have done. If God judged you on the worst thing you ever done, what would you be? This is why God upholds you. The only reason God gave you another chance is because he knew what was in in your heart.
Focus- Psalm 86:11-12: 11Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. 12I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore.-He says Lord teach me your word. What he is after in otherwords is focus. If I am focused my actions, then my heart will be the same. This is why we must be focused on him.
The first word again was the word process. Every day we ask to be cleansed because we know that every day life can taint us. Once we are cleansed, we move to a place of integrity. We are at a place where our motives are right and we will do what he wants us to do. Now we need focus.
What is the heart?
Note: After this, you will find what has been wrong with you all this time.
- The heart-The heart deals with our emotions.
- Emotions– The disciples were left in a difficult place when Jesus said he was leaving. John 14:1 1Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me., Nehemiah 2:2 2Wherefore the king said unto me, Why is thy countenance sad, seeing thou art not sick? this is nothing else but sorrow of heart. Then I was very sore afraid, -This is an issue of emotion. All of us have suffered emotional distress and this has tainted our hearts. There is one common denominator in the church. We have all had to deal with issues of the heart. Most of your emotions are a result of your heart. When the devil attacks your emotions, you become so tainted in your heart, you become cyndical or distant. You are so guarded because of what happened, you gaurd your heart and noone can get in. This is in a place of emotion. It is still so tender sometimes, if you talk about it with the person that was injured, they will swell up just at the mention of the issue. This issue of the heart has really hurt them. The issue of the heart is your emotions.
To avoid issues of the heart, is to attack your emotions. If the devil can get somebody to hurt you, then who you really are will show up.
- Intellect and your mind– When something attacks your heart, your heart will be your head. Mark 2:8 8And immediately when Jesus perceived in his spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, he said unto them, Why reason ye these things in your hearts? -He is associating the heart with intelect and reason. Hebrews 4:12: 12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. -Once our emotional environment is out of control, it then moves to our head. Now we have to intellectally process why we got hurt. The more we think about why and how we got hurt, the more messed up our head becomes. Ex-Bishop explains about a friend of a friend of a cousin he knew. This guy was with this chick in college. He became wrapped up in her and her in him. One day she went and met somebody else and as a result, he was really hurt. After his hurt, he start showing up at her job and her house. People couldn’t understand why he all of a sudden started acting the way he was acting. He finally confessed that he was so hurt it messed up his head. When you have had your emotions hurt, it can mess with your head. It is all in your heart.
People have to process intellectially the place where they have to live. We wonder how somebody can have a thought like they have. Later we learn that those crazy thoughts come from a place of pain. Their mind is responding to irreconcilable issues of the heart. In addition, often their reality is so different from everyone else’s; they think everyone is talking about them.
You got to watch yourself too. This is why the bible says be transformed by the renewing of the mind. If you’re not careful, your head can get be messed up too.
- Will of man– Daniel 1:8 8But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself. -He was getting ready to go on a 40day fast from stuff he had been eating (the king’s meat). You can be emotionally motivated by something, but not have the will power to do it. Ex- You see a Church fit commercial become motivated to become fit. When the day comes to start, can’t get out of the bed. Willing yourself to do something is something much deeper.
There is this husband and wife having marital problems. They both say they are hurt and relationship is then defined by emotions. Now every time they talk, there is comotion. In this situation, one may say they need space from the other, yet they keep struggling because their intellect keeps saying to them, “I can’t believe you did me like that.” This word challenges our will trying to see if our will is ready to work with what our emotions and intellect has been challenged with. This is why you got to say, not by my will, but Thou will be done.
Sometimes we say our season is up. We try to use God to validate our lack of will to get up and go. Our lack of will power clinically is called depression. At this point, we can’t will ourselves to get up out of bed or go to work.
- Emotions– This consists of two questions. What happened, which deals with our intellect? The second is why it happened, which deals with our will or in other words, what you going to do about it?
The enemey tries to stop that thing God is trying to do. He will break your heart, mess with your head, so you dont have the will to do what you supposed to do. You have to declare your will to be stronger than your emotion and intellect. Adam and Eve didn’t have the will to overcome their desire of their intelect. If your will power is greater, you will always be sucessful.
- The heart is the inner man. Proverbs 4:23 23Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. -Keep your heart right, because when you open your mouth, your issues will come out. The way you feel and think comes out of their mouth. Matthew 15:8 8This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. -God is not impressed by your coming to church if your heart is not in it. Where a man’s treasure is, his heart will be also.
Ephesians 6:6 6Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; -Whatever we do for God, we want it to be from a good place (this heart). Your heart is real.
Your heart is the source of all your trouble. Jeremiah 17:9: 9The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?-Your heart is so tender; it is a gateway for the devil. In your heart is some deep stuff.
Philippians 4:7 7And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.-The peace of God represents proper alignment with God. What hurts us, we took to God, now our mind is right, therfore, our will is in a good place. Now no matter what happens, the devil can’t rattle us, because we have been to hell and back. Ex- Just like a child that has been hurt, because she was rejected by her father. She will spend her whole life trying to fulfill what her Dad didn’t do. She will be trying to find it in another man.
A man’s way of thinking is a result of his pain. Get him by himself and talk about who hurt him, and he will become childlike. This is a hurt child of God. Be careful who you let play with your heart. Your heart is too precious. Be careful!
Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God.
Psalm 24:1-4 1The earth is the LORD’s, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. 2For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods. 3Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place? 4He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. -If our heart ain’t right, you really can’t worship. Whatever is in your heart that is not right, ask the Lord to take it out.