The Pious life
Synopsis of Bible Study 01/04/12
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
1 Peter 1:10-16: 10Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: 11Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. 12Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into. 13Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 14As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: 15But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
In this text, we believe that Peter wants us to understand the concept of discipline. There are things God has purposed for our lives to accomplish. What is important for us to understand is that it will require discipline to accomplish this purpose. Discipline is ignited by character. Gifts and talents will get you there, but character keeps you there.
If you work out often, it is easy to keep working out, but you if lay off it for a while, it is hard to get back into it. If you pray often, it is easy to remember to pray, but if you stop it is hard to get back into the habit. Discipline must require discipline. We must maintain character to walk it out. It takes character to maintain discipline, so then the enemy’s job is to distract us from this discipline.
This message is simply ground work for this series. We must examine then what Peter was trying to tell us. Peter was trying to tell us:
- I. Don’t give up on what the prophets before you were looking for
- Isaiah 2:1-4 says 1The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem. 2And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. 3And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 4And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. – Here Isaiah was talking about how we would not study war no more.
- Deliverance – Micah 2:12-13 says 12I will surely assemble, O Jacob, all of thee; I will surely gather the remnant of Israel; I will put them together as the sheep of Bozrah, as the flock in the midst of their fold: they shall make great noise by reason of the multitude of men. 13The breaker is come up before them: they have broken up, and have passed through the gate, and are gone out by it: and their king shall pass before them, and the LORD on the head of them. – Prophesied that deliverance would come to God’s people.
- Strong indestructible kingdom – Daniel 2:44 says 44And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever. –. Jesus came prophesying the kingdom of God.
- The prophets and the angels didn’t have what we have the benefit of having now, yet they were disciplined and held on. They endured afflication and hung in there based on prophesies they heard. Surely if they did this, we should be able to hold on after seeing how many prophesies have manifested throughout the bible.
- Prophesies that we find in the bible, reveal things to us and give us revelation. God reveals things to us though revelations.
- Prophets before (found in the Old Testament) prophesied during what we call their dispensation. What we mean is these prophets looked into the future during their dispensation to speak on what God would do in the future. Now (in today’s times) we know that the prophesies that they prophesied about, came to past. Knowing all of this, how could we not believe what the word says.
- II. Gird up the loins of your minds
- Gird up-ANAZONNUMI- This means to gird up or to gather the loose ends or to pull yourself together.
- The mind – DIANOAIAS – This is the understanding – In other words, do we really understand what God is trying to show us. To gird up our minds means to be sober.
- Be sober- NEPHO- Signifies to be free from the influence of intoxicants- Like intoxicants, there will be people that want to polute your thinking process. They come into your life and plant seeds. Think about the time you wasted thinking about stuff that polluted your mind. Ex-Just imagine you have this big project that you are supposed to be doing. All of a sudden you receive this text message. You see it knowing you shouldn’t answer it, but you do anyhow. Now that you have answered it, you don’t have time to complete that project that you should have finished. Answering the text message caused you not to be productive. This is the season where you have to declare you won’t let negative people cloud your mind.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:6 says 6Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. – In other words, pay attention to the things that happen around you.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:7 says 7For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. – Those that sleep do it at night.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:8 says 8But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. – Let us put on salvation.
- You got to learn how to keep your head. Confession is a mater of the heart. Romans 10:9-10 says 9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. – How can we have so many people that say they love the Lord with their heart, yet their minds are so messed up? Their minds are so messed up; you don’t want to hear anything come from their mouths. Remember, we have said it before. There is a thin line between from Schizophrenia and hearing God.
- The bible says put on helmet of salvation. This is mentioned one other place in the bible. This is however very important. In other words, God can have your heart, but Leroy can have your head. If Leroy has got your head, he will eventually make your leave God. We have to really process this.
- Peter understood that the attack would first come to our mind. If you think about it, most of your problems start in your mind 1 Peter 1:13 says 13Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
- This scripture teaches:
- Prevention of negative people clouding your mind
- 2 Timothy 4:5 says 5But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. – Timothy’s assignment was for him to be an evangelist and fulfill his minstry. Affliction was going to come, but he had to keep watching. Paul told him to focus on his head so he could fulfil his assignement.
- Set your hope fully on grace-1 Peter 1:13 says 13Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; – God gives you and I the grace to live out our asignement. Every assignment we have, God gives us the grace to walk it out. This is why you can’t walk out anyone else’s assignemnt. God didnt give you the grace to do their assignment.
- What we got do in this grace is trust God more than we trust ourselves. We can’t trust ourselves, because we are a mess. We have to trust God to walk this thing out. We walk this thing out in hope.
- Hope – is desire with expectation. Expectation creates desire, making us focused and disciplined towards this thing. The first attack the devil will bring then is to plant people who will plant negative thoughts. Today my mind will be sober.
- If Satan can’t get you through there, he will plant affliction. Now we know we got revelation, because we know we dont have to deal with it. Our assignment was to focus on the goal. Folk are working it out.
- III. Don’t be distracted
- IV. We need God to consecrate us.
- Sanctify- When we got saved, right at that moment, God took away all the things of my past and made us clean instantly. Nobody tells us about sanctification. It won’t work by itself, because we are flesh. We have to engage other flesh all the time. In fact, we are released in a world exposed to what people say and do. It is inevitable that we will bump up against some things (or encounter our lust issue) with our saved self. Now if you bump into someone or have a mere encounter with your lust issue, that is one thing, but it entirely another when you lay down with it. You had to make a conscious decision to do that. This is saved folk doing this not people of the world. We have to realize that nothing in our flesh is good.
- Every man in this place is bumping in stuff if he was to be totally honest about it. Don’t ask to have your issue of the flesh taken away, because what are you going to do when you get married? Are you going to ask for it to be put back?
- Sanctify- means we are cleansed. Sanftification is the porecess of setting thing in order.
- Holiness -is sanctification laws. God doesn’t’ deal with rubbish.
- 1 Peter 1:14 says 14As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: – We are walking this thing out, but we have to understand how to live in obedience-Obedience-HUPAKOUO-This means to listen or attend, to submit, or to obey. – Two key words here is to listen and submit. Ex- When a parent tells a child to do something and the child doesn’t do it, the first response is to say, “Didn’t you hear what I said?” You think in your mind, “Clearly you must not have heard me, because you respect my authority and my ability to take stuff from you, so clearly you must not have heard me.” In like manner, God says, “Clearly you didn’t’ hear me. You know I could just take back the breath I gave you or the job I gave you that you didn’t deserve” We have got a lot of folk in church, but like this example, not everyone who goes to church is listening. We got a lot of folk who go to church who is not listening.
- Only when Christ comes in will you know the difference. – The devils destaction is to cause you not to listen, so you will not obey. If you dont submit, you will conform to this world rather than being transformed by the renewing of your mind. The devil says, “I got you now”, because if you are not obedient, you conform and you go back to the former lust of your ignorance. There were things you done in your former life, because you were ignorant. Now the devil is trying to pull you back to it.
- Examine this and see if any of this gets into your Kool-Aid. God you gave me stuff to do and now I have decided to do it. I have made up my mind not to let people mess with my mind. When my mind is sober and I have sobriety. Now I know how to handle affliction. We are not worried, because we are turning it all over to him. We find out while we trying to figure it out, he has already worked it out. Now as soon as I get out of church, trying to do right, the devil asks if I thought he was done on me. As I begin to answer, he says “Look behind you.” There is some stuff our flesh likes and Satan says if he can get us to like that, he can get us to turn. There is a part of us that is like Paul that says when he would do good, trouble is always around. You realize you have a flesh issue. Satan uses this and waves it in front of us like a banana. We try to be holy, but why don’t somedy tell us how to handle being holy when our flesh is horny. How do we handle this? Deep people might be saying they can’t believe we are saying this in a church like setting.
- We must realize that it is holiness that we are after. That is why we got saved. We turned from our waves and got saved.
- God’s desire is for us to be holy- HAGIOS- Means to be separated. – We got separated somehow from God. We are trying to help you so you don’t join church 10 times this year. True deliverance is not running from our flesh issue. Instead it is the ability to to walk by it and not have a problem with it. Running from it is called relocating.
- Relocating is not the answer, because guess who is going to be in your new location? You will!
- 1 Peter 1:15 says 15But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; -Holiness is God’s work. Sin has the power to blind your mind, compromise your integrity, break down you morality, and pervert your view of God
- Rationalism – This made Cain murder Abel, because their inequity had reached its fullness.
- The wrath of God is being revealed – Romans 6:11 says 11Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. -Sin makes us miss the mark. We were dead to sin and Paul asks in the scripture, what died in you? In other words, what is the authenticity of your salvation?
- We have people vacillating between two different things. There is no difference between their post and pre-saved state. In their present state, they drank all the time and after being saved they still drink. You slept around before and after. What died then? What died in you? Here is the problem. In order to reach that goal God has set for you, you have to understand the process of sanictification.
- Sanctification-It is not a denomination. After all, we hope all churches are sanctified.
- Sanctify, sanctification, holiness
Every day, we wake up with something but we turn it over to Jesus.
How do you deal with that stuff in your flesh? Sin is to miss the mark. Holiness is a life style. Can we truly be holy? God is purely holy, because he is God. We can pursue and come close to holiness, but can we really be purely holy in this flesh? Every day we wake up, we had to die of something. Paul says he had to die daily, so surely we would. Every day, we say Lord consecrate me. We might pause and look, but we got to go towards our goal. We know this is trick, but we know what we have to do. When we get right there, the Devil tries one more time and put in front of you what you really like. How do you make it? You make it by looking back from where you were delivered and examine how far God has brought you and you ask if your really want to go all the way back there as to moving on to the short distance you have left before reaching your purpose. We have to remember that every man became a man when he got sick and tired. Every woman became a lady when she got tired. Every believer becomes more like Christ when they get tired. Are you tired?