Revelation Series Part 1
Laying the foundation
Synopsis of Bible Study 07/06/11
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Dates and Times
- A.D. – Stands for Anno Domini which is Latin for “year of our Lord”. Stands for the number of years since Christ lived. 1 A.D. for example, stands for the year Christ was born. We are still in A.D. today.
- C.E. – Stands for Common Era. History books often refer to A.D. with this, C.E, because they try to shy away from religious references.
- The apostle John was the author of Revelation. In AD 28/30, he became a disciple. The death of Christ was in AD 33. In Rome, though it was a prosperous city, it was treacherous for Christians. They had rulers thought it no greater than to persecute Christians. They beheaded them, fed them to lions, and etc… One of those leaders was Nero who reigned from AD54-68. He was a Caesar in Rome. Note that Caesar is a title not name.
- The Destruction of the temple in Jerusalem occurred in AD70
- Domitian reigned from AD 81-96
- When interpreting Revelation there are 4 views people use:
- Preterist – Suggests the events are historical events of the 1st Century.
- Idealist – They look at Revelations as a collection of allegories depicting good and evil.
- Historicist – Views Revelation as an over view of the churches’ history. They believe the events are past events and have already taken place.
- Futurist – it is a prophetic book to be taken literary. They believe these things will happen. Note that for this series, we will be teaching from a futuristic interpretation.
- Revelation comes from the Greek word Apokylpsis or Apocalypse- It means disclosure, revelation, or manifestation. Deuteronomy 29:29 says 29The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law. – We are saying like this scripture that Revelations is a comprehensive look revealing the manifestation of God. It is happening.
- Syndical – They think that the things that are happening in comparison to Revelations is all coincidental.
- Spiritually discerning – There is a connection in events. These people think something is happening concerning all the tsunamis, dust storms, earthquakes, tornados and other events are occurring in today’s times.
Revelation chapter 1
Revelation 1:1-3 says 1The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: 2Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. 3Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand. – Revelations is a revelation of Jesus Christ, given to his servants of things that are coming to pass shortly.
God revealed himself by signals.
- God sent his angel to John. This angel was Gabriel, the angel of prophecy. Daniel 8:16 says 16And I heard a man’s voice between the banks of Ulai, which called, and said, Gabriel, make this man to understand the vision. – Gabriel was that same angel that is mentioned in this scripture.
- The message comes from God, he gives it Jesus, it is put in signs and symbols, and then it is given to Gabriel who gives it to his servant John who in turn gives it to us by writing.
- John gives record of:
- The word of God
- A testimony of Jesus
- Everything that he saw
- When John wrote this, he makes no changes. He simply wrote what he saw. John wrote words based on the things he saw. 73 times, he writes of things he saw and 38 times he writes of the things he heard.
- Christians were mostly being persecuted in Rome. Paul writes a letter to the Romans found in Romans 13:11-12 where it says 11And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. 12The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. – Paul is saying that these things are being revealed now. You can’t look at these events as single isolated spiritual events. It is a series of events that are unraveling collectively.
- We won’t know when the day is coming when Jesus is coming back, but the time is near or at hand. We are in that period of time right now. We could be the generation that sees the coming of the Lord.
- How do we know that we could be in the time where we could see Jesus’ return? The bible says that Jesus won’t come back until the gospel is preached in every crevice of the world. In this day and age, with internet and satellite TV, the gospel can be preached to any part of the world. This ought to tell you that It is time to wake up.
- Revelation 1:4-6 says 4John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne; 5And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, 6And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. – Here John is talking to the 7 churches that existed in Asia Minor not Asia. In this scripture, John reveals:
- He is writing a literal letter to a literal church.
- He shows the time period of the Christian church until Christ’s return
- A look at our own Christian life.
Further explanation of Revelation 1:4-6
- 7 means completion. God is moving through the church even today. Asia (talked about in Revelation) is the roman province of Asia: Republic of Turkey.
- Him who is who was and is to come. Why is this significant? Psalm 90 says 1Lord, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations. 2Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. – In other words, God is not in time. He is in eternity. John was there when Jesus was persecuted and crucified. He was also there when Jesus ascended back to heaven. John said the God who was, is now, and is to come.
- Science has to even acknowledge based on archeological evidence that there was a man named Jesus that lived back in the bible day. Even if you don’t believe that Jesus is the son of God, you cannot deny his existence, because science has proven it. He is he was and is coming.
- John says God is not bound by time and dates. This is why none can give a time when he is coming back.
7 attributes of the Holy Spirit
- The number 7 represent the fullness and the perfection of gifts operating in the lives of the believers.
- Isaiah 11:1-2 says 1And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots: 2And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD; – Isaiah had a messianic prophecy. Here we get a glimpse of Isaiah prophesying about Jesus years before he comes.
- 7 spirits of the Lord:
i. Spirit of the Lord
ii. Spirit of wisdom.
iii. Spirit of understanding.
iv. Spirit of counsel.
v. Spirit of might.
vi. Spirit of knowledge.
vii. Spirit of the fear of the Lord.
Jesus was the first begotten of the dead.
- Jesus was not the first raised from the dead, but he was the first begotten. There are two doctrines of resurrection.
- Resuscitation- Jairus daughter died and was raised from the dead, but she died again. The widow woman’s son died and was raised from the dead, but he died again. This implies that she was just resuscitated.
- Resurrection -Jesus died and is still alive today.
- Colossians 1:18 says 18And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. – He is the prince of the kings of the earth this earth. His domain was gotten back after Adam lost it.
- Ephesians 1:20-21 says 20Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, 21Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: – Remember when Adam and Eve sinned? Satan became the prince of this dimension at that time. When Jesus died, he took this authority back. When he died, we now get a packaged deal which is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. When you are saved, the devil is scared of you. Fear is what allows him to have authority over you. This is why the bible says greater works will we do. When Jesus comes back, he is coming for the church without spot or blemish. When he is talking about coming back for the church without spot or blemish, he is not talking about a sinless church. He was talking about the church that is operating the way he intended it too, with power manifested in the earth realm. The devils only weapon is to make you not know who are.
Revelation 1:9 says 9I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. -John he has a companion. The 1st century is from the time period of A.D. 1-100. Many Christians were persecuted in public. Even in James 1:1 it says 1James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting. – This scripture shows how James wrote to the scattered tribes. They were scattered because they were all on the run.
- Patmos-was a small island in the Aegean Sea. It was about 10miles long and 6 miles wide. It was a rocky and barren place. It was a penal place where they would send prisoners. Remember Domitian the ruler in Rome? Well he was the one who sent John to this island after failing to boil John in oil.
- Those who sow righteousness are remembered. How many of you have heard of Domitian? How many of you have heard of John? Those who don’t aren’t. Proverbs 10:7 says 7The memory of the just is blessed: but the name of the wicked shall rot. – Hope somebody will remember me. Some people and some credible Theologians think that being in the environment that John was in, he had to be hallucinating when he saw these visions. Our argument to this is this, we have never heard of anyone hallucinating and journaling about it at the same time.
- Vision of Christ- Revelation 1:13-15 says 13And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. 14His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; 15And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. – You will short change yourself trying to argue the authenticity of Jesus from this verse. You need to lay the next scripture beside this one to really get the real picture. Daniel 10:5-6 says 5Then I lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a certain man clothed in linen, whose loins were girded with fine gold of Uphaz: 6His body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude.-What John saw was the same as what Daniel saw.
- Revelation 1:16 says 16And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength. – 7 stars were in his right hand. The right hand is a position of power. 7 stars represent angels or messengers. The word aggelos ang’-el-os in the Greek means messenger whether human or divine, which means these stars represented messengers. John saw 7 stars in his right hand.
- Daniel 12:3 says 3And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever. – Firmament is a space. People that do righteousness is called stars in the bible. If you look Jude 1:13, it says that those who sow wickedness, are called wandering stars who end up in darkness. Jude 1:13 says 13Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.
- Revelation 1:16 says 16And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
- – He had 7 stars and out of his mouth a twoedged sword which means it could cut you or bless you. The Greek word suggests that starring at God was like starring at the most direct point of the sun. This means he only saw a glimpse of God’s glory, because no one can stare at the sun. Revelation 1:17 says 17And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: – John explains that the sight of God was so powerful, it knocked him down as of he was dead. Noone can stand the sight of God’s Glory.
The revelation has begun.
Malachi 4:2 says 2But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall. Remember Matthew 17:2 when it says 2And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light- Jesus was transfigured before the disciples. Jesus’ face shone as the sun.
- Paul who was Saul killed Christians in the 1st century. He testified in Acts 9, a light hit him and blinded him on Damascus Rd. He says he heard a voice say why are you persecuting me. Saul asked who he was persecuting and the voice said, “This is Jesus”. This mean his experience with Jesus’ glory was brighter than the sun.
- Genesis 1:5 says 5And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. – God separated day from the night. Later in the scripture, the bible says God put the sun in sky. Genesis 1:14-15 says 14And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: 15And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.- his means the light was present before the sun and moon was present. This further illustrates that God’s glory brought light before the sun even shinned. Remember him saying he was the light of the world. When they crucified Jesus, the moon dripped in blood & the sun refused to shine. When you have an experience with God’s glory, it will knock you to your feet.
- Revelation 1:17 says 17And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: – God took his right hand and laid it on John and told him that he was the first and the last. In other words, God says to John in other words, “I am he that got this thing started.” God spoke it and it was and he was that word. He is the first and the last, he is about to rap this thing up. He started it and can’t nobody else finish it but him.
- Revelation 1:18 says 18I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. – God says he has the keys to hell and death and he tells John that he needs him to tell the saints. Ex – When Adam & Eve were placed in garden, they were placed in a perfect environment destined to live forever. Death came in where it was never supposed to be, because Adam and Eve ate of the forbidden fruit. God sent his prophets and they laughed and did not listen. He sent Noah the flood and John the Baptist and no one listened. He finally sent his son and Jesus said whosever will let him come. God sent Jesus, because he loved the world. We are not just trying to live, we want eternal life.
- Jesus dies and he snatches the keys and he appears to John and says tell them not be afraid no more. Hebrews 2:14-15 says 14Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; 15And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. – Because I am saved, I don’t have to fear death, because death for the believer is not death. Saved people go from eternity back to eternity. We go back to live with him. We don’t die, we sleep.
- There is one enemy left. 1 Corinthians 15:25-26 says 25For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. – God created a perfect environment where man could live forever in his will. God communicated with Adam without prophet. They had a direct line to God. There was no struggle or pain. It was heaven. Sin contaminated it. Christ redeemed us. When Christ comes back, we won’t go to heaven. Heaven will come to us. Fret not your loved ones who have gone on, who love the Lord or who are asleep in him. When he comes back, we shall not prevent them, because the dead in Christ will be raised and they that remain will be caught up and will reign with him after the 1000yrs has happened. It will be what God promised.
- +Revelation 1:19 says 19Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter; -The things that took place after that is what we will talk about next way. I hope this has blessed you.