The power of Words
Synopsis of Bible Study 05/18/11
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Some acronyms we are talking about when we talk about “words” are outreach, relationship, and discipleship. We expect something to happen as we pass through this life. A “word” for us (as children of God) is a systematic way to make sure the changes that we expect take place in our life, so you can be the Christian you desire to be while giving God the glory.
- The purpose of worship is to glorify and praise God. It is not about what we do, but who we are.
- It requires humility. Pride goes just before destruction according to the bible. In order to worship God, we have to know the power of humbling ourselves before him. James 4:6 says 6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.” James 4:10 says 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.-Humility is important. Too many of us go before God with pride and egos. God will not share his glory with anyone. We are not worshipping some building or our ego. We are literally worshipping God and we are under his authority.
- This is the season where God desires worship. John 4:23 NKJV says 23 But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. – In other words, the Lord desires a certain kind of worship. It is not the type that is fabricated. John 4:24 NKJV 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”-Our flesh can’t glory in God. Once we have submitted ourselves with our flesh out of the way, we find ourselves inadequate in his presence, and as result we ask if he doesn’t mind, will he accept our praise to him.
- Paul deals with this on mars hill in Acts 17 which is the Mecca of scholars. Paul tries to explain what this is about how our worship must be portable. In Acts 17:24 NKJV which says 24 God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. – Religion will confine worship to the sanctuary. The problem with religion is that it will cause you to come to the temple or the church in the name of form and fashion, have a heavenly experience in the temple, and allow you to leave with ability to still give people hell. True worship moves beyond the building. Ex- The Mt Zion congregation moved from the Jefferson St location, to the World Baptist Center, to the Gentry Center, to here. During this process, we learned how to worship God on throw back chairs and bleachers. When you think about how good God is, it is easy to worship him anywhere. People of this generation act as though God needs us. Paul reminds us that he doesn’t. In Acts 17:25 NKJV it says 25 Nor is He worshiped with men’s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. We worship because we need it, not him.
- What does worship do and why is it important? It will change your mental environment. Ex- People often want to know when Bishop made the curve concerning his success with Mt Zion. They want to know how he got his church to grow. The answer to this is that it was all about the mind set. Bishop had to get Mt Zion to change its mental environment. You can’t get big when little got you. The thing that can change your mental environment is worship. Ex- People at work have put you in a funk. You get your ipod and turn it on a worship song and it takes you to a place that no one is aware of. That song changed your mental environment. After all the baggage and stuff you dealt with today, we want to get ready for you to receive the word when you get to the house of God. This is why we worship during praise and worship before service starts. poll 2:5, Romans 12:2 NKJV says 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God., Colossians 3:2 NKJV says 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. Worship takes you to another place. – Here at this Ministry, we focus on worship. We are in belief of setting the atmosphere.
- 5 ingredients of worship
- Attending church– There are people now that have an option. Hebrews 10:25 NKJV says 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.-Things happen when you come to church. Ex- Mt Zion Anywhere is designed for people out of the city and who or traveling and can’t make it to the church building. Sometimes things happen here (in the church) that can’t happen on the internet or TV.
- Entering Gods’ presence– We are not here to see who is here. We are trying to have an encounter with God’s presence. Psalms 16:11 NKJV says 11 You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore., Psalm 42:1 NLT 1 As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God. – We are like a deer that has been on the run. The word is like the water for that deer. It restores us.
- Enjoying God’s presence – Psalm 100:4 says 4Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. – Some people look at you on your job and wonder what your hurry and your hype is to go to church. All you have to do is tell them this: Psalms 122:1 NKJV says 1 I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go into the house of the Lord.”- You got to enjoy going to church. If you are not happy to be going to church that’s a problem. Who signs up to go to oppression? I ain’t going to sit down for two hours in a church service and be unhappy. If you are not happy to go to church, you are probably going to the wrong place.
- Listening to God– Matthew 11:15 NKJV says 15 He who has ears to hear, let him hear! – We believe God is going to send a word for our life. We hear gods voice all in our situation. We believe God’s word.
- Respond to God and the community of faith – It is not unilateral. It is not about just receiving. It is about giving. Ex-Bishop explains that it always bothers him to hear people say, “Now we have come to part of the service where we can all participate.” Participate; what have you been doing throughout the service up until that point? Proverbs 3:9 NKJV says 9 Honor the Lord with your possessions, And with the firstfruits of all your increase; – Offering is worship. Malachi 3:8-11 NKJV says 8 “Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, ‘In what way have we robbed You?’ In tithes and offerings. 9 You are cursed with a curse, For you have robbed Me, Even this whole nation. 10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, That there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this,” Says the Lord of hosts, “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven And pour out for you such blessing That there will not be room enough to receive it. 11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, So that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground, Nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field,” Says the Lord of hosts;- The storehouse is where you are being fed and where your needs are met. The enemy will try to come in and mess up your income and savings, but God will come and say, “Not here, that’s a tither!” You are recession proof because you are a tither!
- Gods empowering– Here at Mt Zion we ask you to give and we leave it at that. We don’t oversee you and your tithe practices. We don’t have any miracle water for you either. All we are going to do is give you the word and let you decide for yourself. We don’t check your w2s here. We want you to give according to the word of God and because you love God. Where a man’s heart is, his treasure will be.
- We (meaning Mt Zion) are a Full Gospel Baptist Church. Bishop Paul Morton is our international presiding Bishop. The Full Gospel doctrine means less of us and more of him. In this doctrine, we believe in the power of the Holy Spirit taking over the control of the total man. Full Gospel is a merge of Baptist and Pentecostal. We believe in the ordination of women in ministry and the 5 fold gifts. We embrace these things and think they ought to flow. We are not codependent on the Pastor to do for us what they can have the power to do for ourselves. Mark 16:17 NKJV says 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; – There are a lot of people who end up codependent on the Pastor. When we understand that we have this power in us, we don’t run from demons. We have the authority. We want to live empowered lives. It is like driving your car and the manual in it tells you all you that you can do. We often don’t read the manual and therefore don’t operate in the fullness of the car. In like manner, if you are traditional and don’t operate in fullness, this is why you will not worship. If you read the manual (the bible), you will see that you don’t have to put up with the things you put up with.
- Scripture provides us with principles on how we operate in the world.
- Following Jesus means putting our faith into action- Luke 6:46-49 NKJV says 46 “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say? 47 Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: 48 He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock. 49 But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently; and immediately it fell. And the ruin of that house was great.”- We have faith, but it must have works tied to it. We must put faith into action. Jesus gave it when he gave his life for us.
- If we love God, we love people in action too. 1 John 3:18 NKJV says 18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth., 1 John 4:7-8 NKJV says 7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.- There will be people that don’t believe what we believe, but we must still love them. We can agree to disagree. We don’t make these hierarchies of sin. We are not a church that pushes people away. Regardless of your issue, we love you.
- Proclaiming and demonstrating God’s love in action go hand in hand – Luke 9:2 NKJV says 2 He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.- Jesus just didn’t say what he was going to do, he did it. We can’t stand being in a meeting with people that is telling us the problem that we already know about. We need an action plan. We are a church empowered to make things happen
- God cares for the whole person- Outreach is not just in one area. We believe God is concerned about the total man. He wants you to prosper in every area of your life. As a church, we minister to peoples physical and spiritual needs. Ex- If you are out ministering and somebody said that they were hungry, praying is one thing, but you need to feed this person. Outreach is whole-istic. It meets the total need. We have program to get back on feet.
- God desires individuals to live in health communities and just societies. Jeremiah 29:7 NKJV says 7 And seek the peace of the city where I have caused you to be carried away captive, and pray to the Lord for it; for in its peace you will have peace.-It was God’s desirer that the city be restored. We bring the peace of God into outreach. We don’t want you to come to church to get face time. We have acronym we use here at Mt Zion called SPAM which means Social Political Action Community. It is all about whole-istic change
- God has a special place in our heart for those who are poor and vulnerable. Jeremiah 22:16 NKJV says 16 He judged the cause of the poor and needy; Then it was well. Was not this knowing Me?” says the Lord.-Remember we have a big heart for those who are poor and vulnerable. People see the presence of God through us. Ex- When we bring canned goods and groceries in to give out to the needy, they don’t see us, they see God. Proverbs 19:17 NKJV says 17 He who has pity on the poor lends to the Lord, And He will pay back what he has given. – God will bless you for taking care of the poor.
- God’s people are to be an instrument of blessing to the world – We are blessed to be a blessing. Genesis 12:2 NKJV says 2 I will make you a great nation; I will bless you And make your name great; And you shall be a blessing. – God didn’t bless this ministry for us not to be a blessing. We are blessed to be a channel of blessings. God trusts you with a blessing so you can help someone else.
- The church’s ministry is incarnational- When we follow Jesus for example, we enter into brokenness, and as a result we end up in God’s presence. Philippians 2:1-8 NKJV says 1 Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, 2 fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. 3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. 5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. – We as the church are the ambassadors and representatives of the world. When you came to these 3 locations and you gave the foods and bags and volunteered to pass them out, the recipients didn’t see you, they saw Jesus Christ. When you went to Alabama and helped them rebuild, they didn’t see us, they saw Christ. This is who we are.
- The Holy Spirit empowers us to participate in ministry. Ephesians 2:10 NKJV says 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.- God wants us to work in the body of Christ.
- The church’s Ministry is to work in the kingdom of God. Luke 10:9 NKJV says 9 And heal the sick there, and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’- The reason why we have Antioch debt free is because we want to do kingdom work. There used to be clubs and all kind of sinful activity where our Antioch location is located. Now not only is a church there, but we have built a place called Kid’s Zone. The Kingdom is bigger than fighting. When you are kingdom minded, you don’t care where you go, as long as you go to church. We celebrate what God is doing in every church across this nation.
- 1 John 1:7 NKJV says 7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.- There is a Greek word called koinonia which means fellowship, to share in common. Assimilating and believing coming as one. We are the body of Christ. The body needs proper blood circulation – Paul shares this in 1 Corinthians 12:27 NKJV where it says 27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. – Paul was making a comparison. The body of Christ must see itself as body anatomy. The body works in this amazing way together.One thing affects the other. Each of us are different members, but we are all part of the body of Christ. It is those parts that are not most popular that is the most important, such as the ankle. Just graze the ankle and see how good you get around. In like manner, those people you never see that work behind the scenes, make it happen. They are very important!
- Think about the body. The blood is a cleansing agent. It supplies oxygen and passes through kidneys and other organs. If a part of your body was to be severed, it will cause that part to become infected. Survival can only happen with continued circulation of the blood. The blood is what causes us to be in relationship with Jesus Christ. The devil wants to stop the blood flow. If he does, because of our issue, he has affected the whole flow of the body. This is why when you got the blood, you have to say that you have a responsibility to get along with others. You don’t stop the flow.
- Fellowship is the practice of loving the brethren- Rejecting fellowship leads us away from God. This is why you learn to be in relationship. You have to get connected. You need somebody to be there for you. Example: Many people complain that Mt Zion is too big of a church. You must understand that you can be in a church of just 20 people and it be too big as well, based your interaction with it.
- Be an active part of Christian fellowship- If you a teacher, find in the body of Christ where you can to teach. If you can sing, find somewhere you can sing.
- Discipleship- This is about training- Matthew 28:19-20 NKJV says 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. – The Great Commission commissions us to come down and give life to Christ. When you got baptized, you were supposed to go to a program to train you with the basics (such as new discipleship class, Sunday School, and etc…). You need to be trained, because you are entering the greatest battle of your life. Nobody goes to the Army on Monday and on Tuesday they go to Afghanistan. You go through basic training to learn to deal with your weapon and understanding principles of warfare and battle. What we mean is you can’t just depend on just a tape of the service for this. 2 Timothy 2:15 NKJV says 15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.-When you can understand the power of this, you will want to know why you believe what you believe. How many of you have been on a job where you had to undergo training. In every area of life, we believe in training, but we don’t seem to believe in it when it comes to serving God. We talk about illiteracy, and it is painful to think about it. Nobody ever talks about Christian illiteracy. There are people have been church for 20yrs and you tell them to turn to the book Job and they think Job is the word job (as in work). You learn everything you want to learn, so we can learn about how to serve God. Everything you learned, you stayed with it. You put the time in. Take advantage of all opportunities to learn more about God. Bishop Walker wants to pastor a smart church. We got to do better. Let’s do an exercise. Turn to the book of Hezekiah. Did you find it? This is not a book of the bible. This is one example of why we need to learn more about the God we serve.
- Must engage in evangelism – Make sure you take to opportunity to tell people about God. We all have a responsibility to add to the church and lead people back to God, while at the same time introducing him to those who don’t know him.