The Power of a made up mind Part I
Laying a foundation for Greatness
Synopsis of Bible Study 03/02/11
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Greatness often times is understood by experience. Some people view greatness based on their exposure. You can think you are the greatest of all time in your own zip code until your travel the world and realize that there is something greater than you. Lots of times vision has to do with our perception of what greatness really is. What is important for us to understand is whatever season God is moving us into (which we believe he is moving us into a new season), it is very important not to bring the residue from past situations into the new season. It is critical right now that you are able to deal with the pain and the issues of the past, so that you do not taint this incredible season that God wants to move you into. There is a great thing that God is getting ready to do. Isaiah 42:9 says 9Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them.-God says there are some amazing things that are getting ready to happen, but he needs us to properly deal with those things in our past. They are over. Get ready, because God is going to tell you things before they happen. He is going to tell you what he is getting ready to do in your life.
I have to be ready to move forward into another season
- What does this mean? Philippians 3:13-14 says 13Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. – In this scripture, Paul is saying that he recognizes that you had a past, but he doesn’t want you to allow what has happened to you to influence the present to the point that it cripples what God is about to do in your life. God doesn’t want you to have amnesia and act like it never happened, but he wants you to recognize that you must properly deal with those issues of the past so that they don’t paralyze the promise of God over your life.
- Paul says you must reach forward to those things which are ahead. You got to stretch for it. What are we stretching for? It means we are pressing towards a goal.
- What is the goal? It is this thing that God has promised you. This is the thing that God has ahead of you. It is something God wants to do in your life. This is something that God wants to manifest.
- You are in a place, this place is not the goal, but you clearly understand the goal. Between you and the goal, there will always be resistance. As long as the goal is of God, the devil will cause resistance between you and the goal. Rather than getting upset, because of the resistance, you should thank God for the resistance, because the resistance would not come if the goal was not of God.
- Therefore Paul says what I want you to do is press towards the goal. Press is where we get the word pressure, which means the resistance is pressure aimed at resisting you and preventing you from getting to the goal. Now your pressure is greater than the resistance coming at you.
- Pressure: Now you have the goal, the resistance, and where you are. Many of us don’t deal well with pressure. We want to know why this is happening to us.
The power of pressure
- Press towards the goal. We have an amazing future. There is something God wants to do in our lives, so we are pressing towards this goal.
- We can’t press in our flesh. We must press in the spirit. 2 Corinthians 4:16 says 16For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. – The outward man is the flesh and the inward man is the Spirit of God. What happens is, now that we have this goal, we must recognize that the attack or resistance is always on our flesh.
- What is between us and the goal is resistance that is getting at our flesh. There is no such thing as people who are going after a goal and don’t get frustrated in their flesh. No matter how deep you think you are, there are things that run your pressure up and gets on your nerves. This is the season where you ask the Lord what is going on, because it is getting at your flesh.
- What do we need to do? We have to recognize that we cannot get to the goal in our flesh. When our outward man perishes or is worn down, we must recognize the power of the Holy Spirit.
- The way to achieve the goal is through the Spirit of God. It is the Holy Spirit’s Ministry to push us towards the goal. Isaiah 43:18-19 says 18Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. 19Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert. -The prophet says do not be influenced by what has been. You are making a shift from what has been to what shall be.
- Stop considering the systems and the way and methodologies of old. This is a new system now. It is a brand new season. God says behold, he is going to do a new thing in your life.
- When is this going to happen? It will happen now!
- How will it happen? It will spring forth!
- How do things spring forth? Things spring forth through resistance. You need resistance for something to spring. Ex- Remember the toy “The Jack –n- the box”? There was a little clown attached to a box that always had a little smile. Jack in the box is in the box and box represents confinement. Where is jack? He is in the box. This box represents confinement. There is no light in the box and the box is dark. What is jack doing in the box? He is smiling because his smile is not affected by the box or its conditions. He is in a confined situation in darkness and he can’t get out. There is a crank outside the box. Somebody outside the box cranks the box and they are putting pressure inside the box. Jack inside the box is receiving the pressure, but he is not complaining. He is still smiling, because he knows when the pressure gets to the right point, his now is going to come. When his now comes, Jack n the box is going to elevate out of the box. He is going to come out higher, because of the pressure applied to the box! So rather than complaining about the pressure you are going through, and rather than being upset because you are in a confined situation and you can’t see how you are going to come out, just thank God for the pressure. You ought to go on your job and look at the folk who is causing pressure in your life and say, “Thank you for the pressure”, because when your “now” comes, you will be elevated higher. It shall spring forth!
- God doesn’t want you to give him statistics. He doesn’t want you to give him things like no one is hiring or I am too late to apply. Verse 19 says he will make a road in the wilderness. God says stop telling him how many trees are in the way. When he gets ready to cut down trees and make a road, he will do it. Stop telling God what you need (things like: “I don’t have the money to pay for it”), because he will bring water in a dry place. God will make a way when it seems there is no way!
We have to work on us
- Let go of your past. God has given us a clean slate, but we continually torture ourselves. 2 Corinthians 5:17 says 17Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. – All things have become new.
- Stop beating yourselves up over things that you have repented for. Psalm 103:12 says 12As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. – God will forgive you. We dwell on the past and we are still dwelling on it. This is like are moving air through a dirty filter. Even though something new and fresh is coming through the filter, it still comes out dirty, because of the filth it has to flow through.
- Stop letting people make you feel guilty about your past. Romans 8:1says 1There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. – We will do this after the spirit. We walk after the spirit. We are pursuing greatness. There is a goal, not in my flesh, but in the spirit. Ex- A hip-hop artist talked about his success once. They asked him how he obtained his success. They wanted to know what made him different from anyone else. He responded by saying that he was hungry for it. This is important to know, because you must be hungry for it.
- You must have a hunger and thirst for it. What separates you from mediocrity is being hungry for it. You live it and it is a part of who you are.
- The goal in which we pursue, we do so in our spirit and not our flesh. Matthew 5:6 says 6Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. -This means I walk in integrity towards the goal. If we walk in integrity, this means we are walking right or walking justly towards the goal. If we walk fleshly, we are willing to cut deals and do anything to get there. If we walk righteously before God, then he is glorified in the process.
- When you are hungry, you are self motivated. There are 2 kinds of people that get up in the morning. They are those who get up and those who rollover. Those who rollover are people that have nothing to get up for. They are not aimed at anything.
- Your flesh is always telling you to hit the snooze button on things. Your flesh wants you to do things like skip class or to take off from work. It is not pushing you to a goal. The spirit on the other hand is always pushing you. You are self motivated.
- When you are hungry, you always know because you are always around people who are hungry. Ex – Ever been out to eat with someone in the natural and they didn’t eat? Wasn’t it awkward? You order and they don’t and you want to know why they are even there. It is awkward eating around people who aren’t hungry and don’t eat. In the spirit it is awkward being around people who ain’t hungry too. You got a passion and you around people that don’t have the same hunger or thirst. We get frustrated because we are around people who are not hungry, because they don’t understand our passion and they are not after what we are after.
- How does this work? Purpose gives birth to passion. Once you have a purpose you are passionate about that purpose. If there isn’t any passion, you won’t have purpose. Passion causes us to make preparation. If we are passionate about it, we want to prepare and get sharper at it. The moment we start making an investment in it, make preparations, and get passionate about it, then the devil gets the memo and he starts making preparations for our life. This is when the headaches come, but because we are spiritual, we don’t respond in our flesh. Instead we respond in our spirit. Therefore, we have the proper perspective. Now we see the goal and not the drama. We see where we are going and we recognize that this resistance is all necessary. As a result of our perspective, we prevail and the fruit of us prevailing is that we are always productive.
- Now let’s recap. We have purpose that spawns passion which causes me to prepare. We have problems, but we have proper perspective. We prevail and consequently, we are productive.
- Isn’t it amazing that most of your haters hate your productivity. Ex- Bishop explains that there are people that have never met him, never had one conversation with him, but they hate on him because of his productivity. You walk into a room and people just start hating on you. They hate on you because you have a degree. They have no idea that before you got productive, you had to prevail over some problems. Bishop explains that if they only knew the problems he went through, the times he didn’t know where his next meal was coming from, or the times he was up at night while they were out kicking it, they would think differently. Passion made Bishop step out when folk thought he was crazy, because God had shown him something. Don’t hate on our productivity if you do not know our purpose, our passion, our preparation, our problem, our perspective, and how we prevailed. The problem is you tried to mimic our productivity by taking the elevator when we took the stairs. You can’t get this by taking the elevator. You have to get this by the stairs.
- There are some things we need to do in order to work on ourselves
- Don’t be attached to your identity. Psalm 51:10 says 10Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.-God will continually change your identity, the more you are conformed to his image. Ex- Bishop explains that when our church was growing, and we moved to the World Baptist Center, and people thought we were going to be swallowed up in it. We only had 3000 members and people just thought we would be swallowed up. Bishop says to the Lord, “You are doing it for a little preacher like me” and the Lord said to him “You are insignificant to the process.” Once you understand the process, you will stop wrapping your identity around what he is doing. At the end of the day, he will do it without you if need be. This is why he says less of us and more of him. He wants you to decrease, so that he may increase. Realize that we are just a conduit by which God uses, because we made ourselves available. One challenge of churches all around the world that grow like this one has is trying to get members of these kind of churches to not be personality driven. In other words, people can come to bible study, even if Bishop Walker is not preaching. People attach greatness to identity. It is not about the Pastor, it is about what God is doing in a house. There is such anointing in this house that whoever God puts up here to preach, you will get an anointed breakthrough every time.
- Ask what the Lord wants from you
i. It takes a restored vision.
ii. It requires strength. There is no way you will accomplish this without strength. Just because you are spiritual, doesn’t’ mean you don’t get tired. Isaiah 40:31says 31But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Ex- Have you paid attention to an eagle. Why does God use the eagle to tell us to be like?
1. Eagles fly alone. They are not like turkeys or chickens that flock together. They fly alone. You will never reach the level of greatness that God is getting ready to take you to until you get comfortable navigating in seasons by yourself. The higher God takes you, the thinner the air is going to be and the fewer people you will have in your inner circle. Jesus started with 12 disciples, but when he came into his glory, most of them fled. So if you are a person who needs a crowd and needs people to validate you all of the time or if you are a person who needs somebody to stroke you all the time and tell you it’s going to be alright, you going to be right here! If you are the person that says I can fly alone and I don’t need constant affirmation, because I know who I am, you are an eagle.
2. Eagles stir their nest. Mother eagle builds her nest high up in the tree and she puts twigs in it that are sticky. At a certain season called “Now”, she comes in and spreads her wings in the nest to trouble the eaglets. It almost looks sad to see. The eaglets way up in the top of this tree has never flown before, but mother eagle knows that in order for the eaglets to have long survival, they must learn to fly. She made the nest uncomfortable so that they could never become comfortable in certain spots. When they try to get comfortable, they would be stuck. When the time is right, the mother eagle flutters her wings and she pushes the baby eagles out of the nest. They then have two options. They are to fly or die. This is what God does at a certain season in our life. He says if he allows us to stay in this comfort zone, we will die anyway, because we won’t be able to take care of ourselves. We will go through life waiting on momma (in this case God) to come and feed us. You an eagle and God says like the momma eagle, he has to get us out of this nest (our place of comfort) and between the top of the tree and the ground, you will figure out how to fly. There are some of you that figured it out just before you hit the bottom!
3. Eagles fly towards storms. Unlike other birds, mother eagle does not run for cover when a storm comes. She looks for the storm and then she takes flight towards the storm. Why is she flying towards the storm? When she takes off, she is flying into pressure. Where there are storms, there is pressure in the atmosphere. When she flies into the storm, it is the same aerodynamic principle that an airplane uses to take off on a runway. The plane is designed to fly into oncoming wind. When you stick your hand out the door of a moving car, watch what your hand does. When the wind catches it, the wind makes it go up. There is an elevation that goes on when you fly into the wind. The eagle knows that if she flies into the wind (pressure), then her wings will automatically elevate her and she will have strength to get elevation. The pressure will make her go higher and higher. This is what we who are like real eagles do. When we wait on the Lord, we know we shall be renewed. God says he will put enough pressure in our life to see if we will run like a turkey or chicken or will we embrace the storm and be stronger after we have gone through it. For many of us, we would testify that we wouldn’t pray like we do, if we hadn’t been through so many storms. We wouldn’t be reading this or going to bible study in the middle of the week if it wasn’t for the storms in our lives.
4 ways to get greatness
- Rely on Holy Spirit to help you and to keep you. Colossians 1:29 says 29Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.- Mighty here means miraculous power or miracle itself. What is inside you that is at work is this miraculous power. It is a miracle that some of you have been able to endure some of the things that you have endured to get to goal. It is a miracle that some of you are still here today after all you have been through. It is the miracle of the Holy Spirit working inside of you. Romans 8:11 says 11But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
- Must build on past successes and learn from past failures- Failures are only temporary test to prepare you for permanent trials. Philippians 3:16 says 16Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.- People of God, everybody has failed at something. It is how you deal with failure that determines how you get motivated. Are you motivated by your failure? Does failure send you into the abyss and cause you to say I will never try it again or are you motivated by your failure? It is said that a successful person fails every 2 out of 5 times. It says an unsuccessful person fails 3 out of 5 times. What is the difference?
- Think of the goal as a target. Find how you missed mark. Think of a goal is a target. The bull’s-eye is the area with the most points is in the middle of the target. It is 100points. You aim at the 100, but sometimes you may hit 80 or 20. If you don’t aim for 100, you will hit 0 every time. Every time you get up, you ought to be aiming at a 100. Never allow yourself to think you are only worth the 20. Even in relationships, aim for 100%. You are worth 100. If you don’t aim for the 100, you may end up with 0.
- Set new goals. Proverbs 29:18 says 18Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he. – What is vision? Have you ever had something revealed to you in the spirit and you felt that nobody around you would understand it? How many of you reading this think that telling this would make people around you think that you were crazy? Ever saw something in the spirit and didn’t have the money for it.? All of this is vision. Keep believing it and seeing it.
When you see vision and set goals:
- Make a list of the areas you want victory in.
- Make a list of every area you want to be diligent in.
- Make list of new areas and experiences you want to come into. Greatness is about exposure. You have to see and be exposed to more.
- Make a list of new areas that you want to recommit yourselves to. There are things that we have to recommit to or commit to, in order to get better.
- Make a list of what God wants to do in your family. Whatever God wants to do, is going to require you to think about family. Whatever you are going to do, think about how God wants this to relate to your family.
- Become accountable to someone in the area you are looking for change and newness. That is a big way of saying, get a mentor. Have somebody in your life that you can tell you the truth. This is a prayerful thing. It is a relationship. You don’t need to pick somebody that you won’t listen to. Ex- 5 people go out and at least one has on something on that they shouldn’t have on. At least one of the other folk should have said something in a loving way to this person. We need a mentor, not someone that will cosign our foolishness. Philemon 1:6 says 6That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus. – You need somebody to share your faith and struggles with.
- Expect the Holy Spirit to bring forth new beginnings. Expect greatness to happen.
- Must have confidence. Philippians 1:6 says 6Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: -We are not walking around with low self esteem and our head down thinking that we don’t know anybody. We know we have been shown something called a goal. We are confident. You can call it arrogance if you want to. We speak to people and we are very nice, but we are just confident. You need to learn how to walk in your godly confidence. Don’t allow people to dictate to you how you feel. You have to say that you are confident of this one thing. Know that God is working something in your life. God is working and it will happen in your life.
You got to go through 3 seasons
- Season of development- Everything that happened in your life, is development. God says he has to work on you. It is about training. Stop despising it and just go through it. Some people ask for prayer in their situation, but sometimes God don’t want you delivered from what he is developing you in. Embrace the development.
- Season of disclosure-That’s when God shows it to you. He can show it to you if you are not mentally and spiritually in a place to receive it. If he shows you something great, you will reject it. Once you’ve been developed, he can show you this great thing. When he shows it to you, it gets on you. When it gets on you, others see it on you. That’s when they start saying; there is something different about you. They know you are not like everybody. When it’s on you, it’s on you. Even the devil knows it’s on you. God can’t show it to you unless you are mentally and spiritually in a place to receive it.
- Season of delivery- Now it is about to jump off or spring forth. It is about to happen. This thing is about to manifest in your life. People that are in development don’t hate on people that are in the season of disclosure. Your season is coming. Just hang in there!
There are some of you that God is about to deliver it on right now. You have been developed and seeing it so long, it’s got to happen any day now. You got to get ready, because it is so awesome, but it won’t happen until you discover the power of laying a foundation for greatness. It is about your mind being right to receive it. It is not about you, but it is about him.
Lord thank you for showing me that thing you put before me. When I get out the bed in the morning, I am getting out of the bed fresh and new.
Please know that it is a brand new day and know that there is greatness on you.