Believe God for your healing Part IV
The covenant of healing
Synopsis of Bible Study 1/26/11
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
It is important for us to understand that those of us who are saved are truly under a covenant. By this we mean you don’t have to accept anything beneath what God has promised you. Now what is a covenant? It is an agreement between two parties. It is always dependent upon two and it is not unilateral, which means there is a responsibility on the part of each party in the covenant. For example one person says I will do this and the other says I will do that and as a result things manifest. It is no doubt that God keeps his end of the bargain. He always keeps his covenant with us. It is never in question. What is in question however; is our willingness to keep covenant with God. Our lack of covenant is what often times prevents us from seeing full manifestation of what God has for our lives.
When we look at the covenant of healing, we have to recognize that we are dealing with two different ways in which God spoke. We are talking about the Old and the New. When we refer to the Old Testament we are talking about the Old Covenant and when we talk about the New Testament, we talk about the New Covenant. Israel was God’s chosen people as you know and God told Moses to tell Pharaoh to let his people (his chosen people) go.
Healing under the Old Covenant
- Exodus 15:26 says 26And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee. – The children of Israel were under the task master of Egypt (under Pharaoh) and as a result, when God prepares to bring them out of bondage, God declares,”I am the one who heals you…:” This basically says if they did what God commands them to do (obey the commandments), then God says that none of the diseases that came upon their oppressors (the Egyptians) would come upon them.
Healing in the New Testament
Matthew 8:16-17 says 16When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick: 17That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses. – God’s desire or will for those of us who are in relationship with him, is that we will walk under this covenant of healing. Somebody declare this over your life, “I live, under a covenant of healing”. Why is this important? Remember we make a declaration “I am not the sick trying to get well, but I am the healed resisting sickness and disease.”
- How then do we walk in this covenant? We walk in this covenant, because we believe by faith. Hebrews 11:6 says 6But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.- What we are dealing with is that we don’t go to God accept we believe that God is.
- The idea that “he is” is not about the existence of God. We know God exists, but do we really understand the totality of what God has once we approach him? The fact that we approach God suggests that God has what we need and he is who we need at the same time.
- What does that mean? This means that we believe that God is what he is and is the rewarder of those who diligently seek him.
- When I know God’s word on healing, it provides a solid foundation for my faith, so I receive the healing based on that particular word of faith.
Historical example of the Passover, the exodus, and the healing
- Remember in Exodus, we are dealing with one of the most prolific stories told among the children of Israel. This scripture tells us that every man of a household, on the 10th day of the month, was supposed to take a lamb for every man of the house. – Exodus 12:3-4 says 3Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house: 4And if the household be too little for the lamb, let him and his neighbour next unto his house take it according to the number of the souls; every man according to his eating shall make your count for the lamb.
- This lamb must be without spot or blemish. They were supposed to take a lamb in and on the 14th day, kill it at twilight. –Exodus 12:5-6 says 5Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats: 6And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.
The covenant of healing
- 1 Corinthians 5:7says 7Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: – Paul shares that he forgot about the old. You are supposed to become something new.
- Remember the night that Israel came out of Israel? They were supposed to take the lamb without blemish, kill it at twilight, and spread the blood on the door posts. God declared that the death angel was going to ride through Egypt that night. This was the last plague that was placed on the Egyptians. God was going to let the death angel kill the first born son of every family in this plague. The death angel was released and comes through Egypt that night. Wherever the death angel saw the blood over the door post, guess what the death angel did? He passed over it.
- So Israel was supposed to take a lamb, kill it at twilight and spread the blood over the door post. When the death angel comes, the death angel bypasses over where the blood is. God sent his son who was Jesus Christ. Jesus became the Lamb of God. Jesus goes to the cross and sheds his blood on behalf of us. You and I then came into relationship by his blood. Now by being relationship with Him, and now that we are recovered in the blood (Jesus’ blood), we have eternal life, which means the death angel must Passover us. The same covenant that they were under in the Old Testament, we are under in the New Testament which means we can declare to sickness and death that they have to Passover us, because of the blood.
- The children of Israel were given specific instructions on even how to eat it. In Exodus 12:11 says 11And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is the LORD’s passover. – When they took that lamb in, it was for the nation of Israel. The Passover lamb was for the healing of the nation of Israel.
- When they came out of Egypt, Psalm 105:37 says 37He brought them forth also with silver and gold: and there was not one feeble person among their tribes. – The children of Israel were under a Pharaoh who did not know Joseph. In Genesis it was Joseph, one of the Israelites who saved Egypt from famine. Because of this, he got favorable with the current Pharaoh and received favor as a result of it. Now that this Pharaoh died (Ramesses II) a new Pharaoh rose up next and this Pharaoh did not know Joseph. The children of Israel who came in as welcomed guest were now subject to a life of servitude and bondage meaning they were taken into slavery. This Pharaoh saw how they were multiplying and was threatened by it. He was afraid that they were going to overtake them. For 400 yrs, they were in bondage. They were forced to make brick without straw (necessary to make a stronger brick). This Pharaoh tried to make it hard as possible.
- When God allowed them to come out, he brought them out with the silver and the gold and none of them were feeble. They were slaves and they worked in harsh conditions, but when they came out, they did not come out empty handed and no one came out sick. Doesn’t that sound like 3 John 1:2 where it says 2Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth? – In other words God’s desire is when he brings us out; we will better than when you went in and the covenant on your life is that God won’t allow what they did to us cause us to come out feeble. We are coming out stronger than you went in!
- If you think the Old Covenant was something, look at what you got in the New Covenant. Hebrews 8:6 says 6But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. – God made a covenant with them in the Old Testament saying he was the Lord thou God that heals them. Exodus 15:26 says 26And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.- The word Lord here means JEHOVAH-ROPHE: “The Lord Who Heals” or the Lord our physician.
- In Hebrews 11:6 says 6But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. – He is… The “he is” is God being Jehovah Jireh our provider orJehovah Rophe our physician and our healer. This means that now we must apply who he is when we go to God. When we go to a Physician, we believe that they can somehow help us with our situation. In other words we wouldn’t go to the doctor, unless we had faith to believe that when we left, we would leave with a pill, advice, or something to help heal our situation. Why else would we go unless we thought they could help? You go because you have faith that they are going to make it better? Ex- Bishop explains he was on a plane one day and he states that when he travels, he does so as Dr. Joseph Walker. He says somebody got sick on the plane. The flight attendant came to him and said Doctor we have somebody in the back sick. Bishop told her, “no maam, you need a physian.” You got to know where to go, so if you understand that God is a healer, then when you go to him, you can claim who he is over your situation. The reason you are going to him is because you know he is bigger than our problem. We don’t go to God wondering if he can do it. We go to God knowing that he can do it and when we get through praying, we find that he is a rewarder, because we came to him. He is like our physician who says, “I am so glad you came to see me. “This is the same thing God says. He is so glad we came to him.
- The name of God reveals the redemptive privileges that are necessary to be healed. When we say his name, all of his redemptive names are tied into his name. His names that deliver such as JEHOVAH-JIREH: “The Lord will Provide.” and EL SHADDAI: God Almighty or “God All Sufficient.”shows it is all in his name. Peter and John in Acts 3, were on their way to a gate called beautiful and they see a man that had been lame since his mother’s womb and the man is asking for alms. As a result, they say look on us. They say silver and gold have they none, but such as they had, in the name of Jesus of Nazareth, rise up and walk. And the man got up and walked and left leaping. He got up in the name of Jesus. In Jesus’ name were all the redemptive names. In his name is packaged neatly every redemptive name that you need. That is why when you say his name; there is power in his name. That’s why demons tremble at the name of Jesus. Every strong hold and every sickness the devil tries to put on you, demons know they got to let go, when you declare his name. They can’t control where his name is.
- The covenant of God was made with the children of Israel crossing the Red Sea. The same idea or word for salvation is the same word for healing or deliverance. It is a Greek word 4982. sozo sode’-zo and 4991. soteria so-tay-ree’-ah where we get the word soteriology which is the study of salvation history or the understanding of salvation. These are words for salvation. Part of their salvation deliverance from the Passover lamb was healing which means if I believe God for healing or for salvation and then I also believe God for healing. God doesn’t just save us from sin, he saves us from sickness. He doesn’t just save us from sin, he saves us from sickness.
- Remember the Passover lamb? Now what did they do? They took the Passover lamb, they killed it, and they ate the flesh, and put the blood over the door post. Well let’s look at communion. Matthew 26:26-28 says 26And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. 27And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; 28For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.– Jesus took the cup and gave thanks. Remember in the Old Testament, when they ate of the lamb they were supposed to put on a belt, put on sandals, and supposed to have their staff and all of this right?
- Look at the conditions and promise of healing in the covenant
Remember we said underline he is. Now let’s see who He is
o When you take communion, it is not just a ritualistic thing that you do. – Corinthians 11:29-30 says 29For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. 30For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
o What is communion? When we take communion, we remember the price that Jesus paid for us. Jesus sat with his disciples, but remember that this was a remembrance supper. It was a Passover supper. Jesus said this is my body that was given for you. Now who was he? He was the Lamb of God. They ate the body of the lamb in the Old Testament and that lamb was for the healing of the Nation of Israel. Jesus said, “If you are eating of my body, guess what I am doing? I am giving you healing. And when you remember the blood, the blood is giving you covering. Healing and covering. This is why you can’t take communion with envy and bitterness and jealousy and hatred in your heart. You have to examine yourself and take communion right, because if you don’t, you will eat and drink judgment or damnation unto yourself. This is why so many people are sick and sleep among you (according to scripture), because we don’t come to that moment of understanding the totality of what Jesus did at Calvary. This was all tied to a New Covenant. This is why sometimes we sing, “Now behold the Lamb” when we have communion. It is because he is the Lamb of God. So we don’t just rush through communion. It really is an insult to miss communion. Who would bypass, healing and covering? We should never be too busy for healing and covering.
o It was so amazing that David stood between both covenants. Not that he lived in the New Testament, but David understood something. Jesus came from the lineage of David. It is almost like a prophetic word in the Psalms. In Psalm 103:2 says 2Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: – The reason I praise him like I do is because I got benefits. Benefits are a result of covenant. Where there is no covenant, there can be no benefits. Ex- When you go on a full time job, you sign a contract. It says you work this many hours (that’s what you will do) and we will pay you (that’s what the employer will do). This is covenant. As a result of this being fulltime employment, you then are entitled to benefits. If it is not full time, they can’t promise you, but if it is fulltime, they are obligated to give you benefits. Likewise God said he can’t handle us part-time believers. This is why you have to be all the way with him, if you want benefits. You got to be all the way in this thing if you are expecting benefits.
o God forgives all of our iniquities. We are not perfect, we are just forgiven.
o Benefits of forgiveness:
a. He heals all of our diseases
b. He redeems our life from destruction – We should have been dead, but got saved us.
c. He crowns us with love – You don’t have to love me, because God loves me
d. He gives us grace and mercy – He holds back what should have gotten us. Why would you pass all of this up? With a relationship with God, you have benefits.
9 reasons why people don’t receive their healing
1. Lack of faith– It takes faith to receive healing. Your faith has to not be fickle like described in Acts 14:9-10 where it says 9The same heard Paul speak: who stedfastly beholding him, and perceiving that he had faith to be healed, 10Said with a loud voice, Stand upright on thy feet. And he leaped and walked. – Paul saw his faith. People ought to see faith on us just as they can see fear on us. Even if you are going to the Doctor for a checkup, you ought to go in declaring “I am not the sick trying to get well. I am the healed resisting sickness and disease.
2. Unconfessed and unrepeated sin – Walking around not confessing and not repenting our sins can prevent healing. Isaiah 59:2 says 2But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. – This scripture declares sin will separate us from God. Psalm 66:18 says 18If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:-If you think you can’t pray or don’t know how to pray, you can start with your repentance. This can be 30 minutes of prayer right there.
3. Being double minded or doubting– This is simply not being not convinced. James 1:6-8 says 6But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. 8A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. – This scripture says a double-minded man is unstable in all his ways. You won’t get anything from God when you are unstable.
4. Self indulgent – This is selfish prayers. James 4:3 says 3Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. – Your motivation for asking is so that you can enjoy yourself in it. This is like preemptive prayer. You know you about to do something wrong and you pray for the Lord’s forgiveness before you do it.
5. Having indifference towards God and his purpose – God has purpose and plan for life, but you have that whatever spirit. Proverbs 1:28-30 says 28Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me: 29For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD: 30They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.- These are those who can’t handle wise counsel. The Word of God comes forth and tells them what they ought to do, but they totally rebel against it.
6. Disobedience spirit– This is when you have a disobedient sprit towards God and established authority. 1 Samuel 15:22 says 22And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams., 1 John 3:22 says 22And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.- When we do what is pleasing in his sight, you have to live this stuff out.
7. Build your faith on experience and circumstance rather than the Word of God– You have more faith in your doubt and more faith in your fear. Romans 10:17 says 17So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. – Faith comes by hearing over and over again. You got to have the faith that says “I am standing on God’s word and what he has for my life.”
8. Having a pattern of negative confessions that are not in agreement with the word of God– 2 Corinthians 4:13 says 13We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak; – This is when you have negative confessions like, “My grandmother had this, so I guess it is my turn” or You get the flu and you start planning your funeral.
9. Not happy or committed to healthy lifestyle – 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says 19What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s. – Some people come and believe God for something. You come to your Pastor and ask them to pray for you and you believe God is going to heal you. Then after they pray for you and your clogged arteries or high blood pressure, you go home that same night and you invite the family over to eat fried pork chops, mac and cheese, lemon cake, blueberry ice-cream, and sweet tea. The problem is this, as a spiritual leader, we try to help people understand practical things as well as spiritual things. Sometimes we can over spiritualize things. For example, we say “I am claiming my weight to be lost” and mean while you gain 30 more pounds. Well you don’t have to claim it, because it is claiming you.
- Bishop explains how he is fascinated by bible code books. As a result, when he reads scripture, he often finds himself trying to get the hidden messages between the verses. There are things that God is saying to us in scripture and if we really pay attention, there are subliminal codes in scripture. If you exhaustingly look at scripture, you would see these hidden things even if they are not saying it out loud. For example, the Old Covenant was a lamb. The lamb was slain and blood was on the door post. Jesus was our lamb under the New Covenant.
- Now let’s illustrate Jerusalem and Calvary. Let’s give you a concept of the distance. Imagine that we are at Mt Zion on Old Hickory Blvd (represents Jerusalem). Imagine that we are going from Mt Zion (Old Hickory Blvd) to Briley Pkwy off of 24 walking. Imagine at the age of 33, we had been beaten 39 times at Mt Zion. Our backs looks like ground beef. Imagine that we have been beaten with whips laced with nails a metal and it has torn or back 39 times. We have a crown of thorns on our head and those thorns have punctured our temple and. It is not just in our skin, it has penetrated our skull. Now the cross has been given to us at Mt Zion at Old Hickory and we’ve got to go to Briley Pkwy and this cross is 2 or 3 times of or weight. We have to carry it uphill. We finally make it to Briley (Calvary) and they lay us down and they put nails in our hands and our feet and they raise us up. Now we are in a position where we die slowly. After all that journey and exhaustion, we are put on a cross in a way where we can’t even exhale. All we can really do is inhale. In the position we are in, our lungs won’t expand and in the midst of that we have the energy to say 7 words loud enough for all to hear it. What was the subliminal message at that Jesus teaches us at the cross at this age of 33? The subliminal message is that there was no way we could have finished this assignment, if we weren’t in shape. Some of us couldn’t even have taken the cross down the aisle of our church without wheezing. Nobody thinks about this. God said if any many desires to follow me, let him deny himself, take up his cross and follow me. Your cross is your assignment. Jesus’ assignment was to take up that cross and die on it. Your assignement might be the fulfillment of you purpose and you will never fulfill the totally of that purpose if you don’t have the health and energy to do it. Do you think Bishop Walker can preach 4 times on Sunday and 3 times on Wednesday in my assignment if he wasn’t healthy or in shape? We ask God to enlarge our territory and God says, “I don’t’ know if you got the energy to do what I am ready for you to do.” So don’t just glorify God in your spirit. Glorify him in your body. You can’ just do your assignment in your spirit. Whatever assignment you have to do, you have to do it in your body, just like Jesus had to come down in a body. We go to work in a body and we have to fulfill our assignment in our body. You can’t glorify God in your body if you have this stuff tainting your body, because it is holding up your assignment. All this stuff you doing is holding up your assignment. You got to learn that a healthy lifestyle is helping yourself get away. How many of you reading this would ever commit suicide? When you don’t eat right, you are committing suicide on the installment plan. Your commitment is not just believing God for a healing; It is what you are willing to do. Faith without exercise or works is dead.