Believe God for your healing Part I
Synopsis of Bible Study 1/5/11
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
This is a critical area here, because many of us know someone who is sick or someone who is struggling with illness. It is important for us to know illness should never be allowed to be Lord over our lives. We must take authority over this area and come to the point where we trust God in this area. If you are not getting word regarding this area, then you won’t have the faith to stand against it.
We must make this simple declaration. “I am not the sick trying to get well, but I am the healed that is resisting sickness and disease”.
I. Where does sickness come from?
1. Let’s go back to beginning, the law of primary beginnings, but first let’s examine this scripture. When you get a word from God, you believe God for it. Luke 5:17 17And it came to pass on a certain day, as he was teaching, that there were Pharisees and doctors of the law sitting by, which were come out of every town of Galilee, and Judaea, and Jerusalem: and the power of the Lord was present to heal them. – What was Jesus doing? He was teaching? While he was teaching, we can assume faith was being built up (in those listening). It created an environment conclusive for God to heal. We as believers can create an environment that sets the stage for healing. There is a place of faith that you can get to, while being around people of like faith, which can make it possible to just walk in a place and healing take place. Jesus says these signs shall follow them that believe. These signs ought to be following us. Where are the miracles of feeling in the house of God today?
2. The primary reference of sickness:
3. On the sixth day, God finished his work and looked back at it and congratulated himself. Genesis 1:31 says 31And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. – God said everything was whole and in proper alignment and it was good. When God made Adam and Eve, there was no sickness, disease, or disorder. Everything was in order. If there had been sickness in Adam and Eve when God said it was good, then sickness would have been good, but he didn’t.
4. God never intended for us to have sickness. He wanted us physically and spiritually well (also our soul). 1 Thessalonians 5:23 says 23And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.- This is total healing. It includes our soul, our spirit, and our body.
5. God’s desire is that we wouldn’t be broke, and sick, and then turn around and miss heaven. The devil desire is for us to be broke, sick, and then die and go to hell. God’s desire is for us to be blessed in every area of our life. – 3 John 1:2 says 2Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.
II. How does sickness come into the world?
1. Death passed through sin and passed onto man. Romans 5:12 says 12Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
2. God tells Adam and Eve that they are in proper alignment, they have everlasting life, and all was good, but they were not supposed to touch the tree in the midst of the Garden. God told them that if they did, they would surely die. Romans 5:13-14 says (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam’s transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
Genesis 2:17 says 17But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
3. Adam and Eve ate of the tree and now everything is cursed. The day that Adam and Eve ate of the fruit, they didn’t die right away, but sin came in and death was shortly after it. Genesis 3:17 says 17And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; – They didn’t die right away, but later death would follow.
4. Satan was kicked out of heaven and is mad. Now the devil is running around the earth with the keys to death and hell. This is someone (the devil) with carnal condos in hell and he is trying to fill them. He has no occupants for the condos. Now he has to ask himself “How do you move someone (Adam and Eve) with everlasting life to death?” Something needs to ferry them there. That ferry would be sin. All sin eventually leads to death. Every sin you engage in eventually leads to death.
5. The devil sometimes uses sickness to lead us to death. You might get sick, but take you must take authority over it. The devil brings sickness, to bring sin, to end in death.
6. Every sin we comment will employ sickness that brings us to death. Ex – We might start drinking, then we turn into an alcoholic, and eventually it leads to death. If you keep doing meth, you will lose your mind, and eventually you will die. Keep smoking weed, it will kill your brain cells, and eventually you will die. Keep sleeping around, you’ll end up catching something, and then you will end up with the luggage that you have to carry around for life. The devil says to himself, “If he can just get you in the realm outside of God’s will, he can take you where he wants you.”
III. Jesus undid at Calvary the deeds of the destroyer (Satan)
1. By one man, sin came into the world, but by another man, sin was taken out. 1 John 3:8 says 8He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
2. The devil had the keys to death, but Jesus took them back when he died at Calvary. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord. If you are in relationship with him who died and was raised, though the wages of sin is death, the gift of God is eternal life. Eternal life starts now! We should live our best life now and live again when we go to heaven. We go from life to life. God says you can live the life here, by taking authority over sin, and then in heaven you can live eternally as well. Jesus came that we might have life and have it more abundantly. We ought to want to get our rehearsal in now. We want to be blessed here, because we know we will be there.
3. The same faith you have for salvation is the same faith you have to have for healing. Do you know for a fact you are saved? Then what are saved from? You are saved from the penalty of sin which is death. Death is sin and sin rides death. If God can save our soul, then he can save us from our sickness.
4. At the moment Jesus died, we were healed. This is why we declare we are healed yet resisting sickness and disease. Isaiah 53:5 says 5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
5. There is an idea in scripture where physical healness is associated with sin. This is not our issue. There are a variety of reasons people are sick. There is however a relationship between forgiveness of sins, healing, and deliverance. Psalm 103:3 says 3Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; – We tell people all the time that no matter what they’ve done, Jesus can save them. We tell them that Jesus can turn their lives around. Do we really believe this? Then why can’t we say, “We don’t care what the doctor says about your condition, if it is his will, he can heal you?”
6. Look at relationship between sin and sickness. James 5:15 says 15And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
IV. Requirements of healing:
1. We must have a desire to be healed. Some people are guilty of embracing their sicknesses. Ex- We ask someone “How you doing?” and they respond, “Good except this old blood pressure” or “Good except these old migraines.” No matter what, this person is always sick. It has become part of who they are. It is part of their language. As a result, they begin to be labeled by their sickness. Ex: Remember the woman with the issue of blood or perhaps you remember the lepers. They were labeled by their illness.
2. They heard Jesus passing by and cried out though people kept telling them to be quiet. Matthew 20:30 says 30And, behold, two blind men sitting by the way side, when they heard that Jesus passed by, cried out, saying, Have mercy on us, O Lord, thou son of David. In the next scripture, the blind man kept crying out though people said be quiet. Mark 10:46-48 says 46And they came to Jericho: and as he went out of Jericho with his disciples and a great number of people, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat by the highway side begging. 47And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out, and say, Jesus, thou son of David, have mercy on me. 48And many charged him that he should hold his peace: but he cried the more a great deal, Thou son of David, have mercy on me.-He cried out even more when people told him he should be quiet. When you know where the answer is, you don’t let people discourage you from getting your healing. You can have so much faith, in the midst of protocol; you won’t let anything stop you from getting your healing.
3. We must believe that God is able to heal. Matthew 8:10-13 says 10When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel. 11And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. 12But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 13And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour. -They brought him to Jesus because they believed he was able to do it. Hebrews 11:6 says 6But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. , Luke 17:19 says 19And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole. -It is really about our faith. Do we believe God is able to heal? Be mindful that the devil specializes in getting you isolated so he can interrogate you and make you think God is not able.
4. Healing is based on condition and based on obedience. Read Leviticus 26, Deuteronomy 28 and you will discover that if you will obey what I ask you to do, he will heal them and do a lot of amazing things. – Isaiah 58:8 says 8Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy reward. – God says he told them what kind of fast he requires and he goes on to say if they fast like that, their healing would spring forth speedily.
V. 7 things to do when standing for your healing
1. Decide not to fear- God hasn’t given us the spirit of fear. Fear is really rooted in imagination. The devil will have you seeing your funeral when you just got a cold.
2. Don’t become frustrated. Like Job’s wife, she wasn’t even sick, but she got frustrated. Job said I got questions, but I’m not crazy. He wasn’t going to curse God and die like she suggested. When frustrated, you pull away, from the church, and the word.
3. Do not become desperate – Desperation will have you doing foolish stuff. It will even make us resort to fortune tellers.
4. Do not lose your confidence – Hang on to what God promised you.
5. Keep listening to God’s word on healing – If you have sickness attacking you, get as much word on the subject as you can.
6. Act like the word is so – By his stripes you are healed. Walk on your job like you know you are healed. Ex- Bishop explains he has gone to comfort some people in the hospital that was sick and before it was over, they start encouraging him.
7. Praise your way through it – Praise God for your healing, regardless to how you feel. Some days you can’t be in denial, but you can’t stay there.
VI. Great story of healing
1. They were waiting for the angel to come and trouble water. John 5:1-3 1After this there was a feast of the Jews; and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 2Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches. 3In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water. – Each person who needed healing would go and wait by the pool for an angel to come trouble the water.
2. Whoever stepped in first would be healed. John 5:4 says 4For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had. – Everyone is waiting in a place for a healing to happen. When the angel came down, only one person would get it. Have you ever been at a place where you were trying to be jealous, because you have been faithful day in and day out (trying to wait your turn), yet everyone is getting their healing before you?
3. Jesus saw this man even though all those people there. John 5:5-6 says 5And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years. 6When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole. – What made Jesus see him? It was because the man had been there for 38 yrs, yet he kept coming back. Jesus knew he had been in that state that for a long time. Jesus knows what you are going through. He raised the question to the man; do you want to be made well? Seems like an odd question for the man. After all, the man has been there 38 yrs.
4. Jesus asks, “Do you want to be made well?” John 5:7 says 7The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me. – Like this, Jesus asks us if we want to be made well and we keep giving him excuses why it can’t happen. Ex- Instead of believing God can heal us, we accept our disease because we read that 30% of the people that get this, don’t make it through. Jesus isn’t asking for statistics or excuses from us. Jesus says he is the life. Jesus simply wants to know do you want it to be healed? Stop trying to figure out how he is going to do it. If he asks, you know he has the answer. Jesus doesn’t even address this man’s excuse when he says he has no one to put him in the water. He goes right to the answer found in verse 8.
5. John 5:8 says 8Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk. – When you been in sickness that long, you start looking like the sickness. Jesus says rise, take up your bed and walk. Get up and take authority over what’s been disabling you, and walk out of here better than you rolled in here. Like the man by the pool, you might have been carried in, but you coming out walking. You became codependent on people and allowed them to help you, but you are leaving dependant on God. Take up you bed and walk. Hold what has been holding you.
6. He took his bed up and walked. John 5:9 says 9And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath. The man is lying on the bed by the pool. For 38 yrs, others got into the pool before him. Jesus notices the man is laying there. Jesus told the man rise and take up his bed and walk. The moment Jesus said this, the man was healed. The only thing the man needs to do is get up and walk in what Jesus had already spoken. Some of you don’t realize that you are already healed. You just need to get up! How long you going to wallow in the mess? Get up! Once the word went forth, he was already healed.