Angels and Demons Part X
Taking authority over the devil and his demons
Synopsis of Bible study 12/1/10
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
As children of God, we have been given authority. This came when God gave Peter the keys to heaven and he said whatever he bound on earth shall be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. This was power between two dimensions. This was power in the earth realm, over principalities, over demon attacks we experience, and power in the heavenly realm.
To get authority:
1. We have to understand that Satan appears as an angel of light. Fallen angels try to appear as ministers of righteousness.
2. Paul warns how false prophets show up. 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 says 13For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. 14And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 15Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works. –There are people who operate in the office of Minister or Apostle, but are actually ministers of Satan. They specialize in looking righteous, but they are not. As children of God, we have to know that everything that looks sound is not sound. Everything that proclaims to be called by God may be called, but not called by God.
3. Satan is trying to get you to buy into doctrines of devils 1 Timothy 4:1-2 says 1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; -Why is this important? Doctrines of devils suggest that there is a way to exist while living beneath God’s word. Satan wants to tell you that living God’s way is unrealistic. Satan wants you to accept the fact that you can live beneath God’s word, this way another reality is created. What used to be up is now down. As a result, people start attaching stuff to sin, so we can live with it. As a result, it creates another culture that says we are crazy trying to live by this word, because it is impossible and out of date.
4. Satan is trying to get an advantage over you. You can’t let him get the advantage. We are not ignorant of Satan’s devices. At the end of the day, we are keenly aware that Satan is trying to set snares. The Holy Spirit in us is a great discerner of this.
5. Satan tries to set snares. 1 Timothy 3:6 says 6Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.-You can’t put people new to the faith into leadership positions. Verse 7 says 7Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. – Everyday we wake up, the devil is setting a snare to try and capture our destiny.
How do we ward off these snares or traps?
1. Remember the circles we drew. We equated the heart as the essence of a person. Psalm 119:11 11Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. –Logos– This is the Greek word for the word “word.” We get the word logic from this Greek word logos. This means to us that Gods word is his logic.
2. Remember that diagram that we drew (at the beginning of this series)? The word you get every week on Sunday morning is a word we try to understand. We first receive it in our intellect which is part of our outer realm. This is the same realm where your ear gate and your eye gate are located. Now the intent of the word is for it to get into our spirit. If it stays in your head, it will collide with your logic and our logic will override God’s word. This is why some people think tithing is not logic. In their mind they are trying to process the word logically. Ex- Remember the 2 fish and 5 loaves of bread? Logically it doesn’t make sense. This is why the bible reminds us of what God says when he says, “My ways are not your ways and my thoughts are not your thoughts.” This means this word has to make it past our mind and into your spirit. Once the word makes it into your spirit, the Holy Spirit breathes on it and pushes it back out to our flesh. Then our flesh comes under submission and we begin to live out what the word says to do. We have belief, but we ask the Lord to help our unbelief. If your flesh never corresponds with what is in your spirit, then you act out in your flesh, contrary to what you know you should do. When you allow God’s word to get into your spirit, you logic becomes God’s logic.
Six things to think about (how to avoid giving place to the devil)
1. You have to avoid or flee from all forms of witchcraft and cults including books about witchcraft, sorcery, fortune telling, trances, hypnosis, horoscopes, séance, astrology, casting spells, and etc. Leviticus 19:31 says 31Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God. – All of these open the door in allowing the devil to get a foothold into your life. When you exercise in any of these, you authorize somebody who doesn’t even have a right to be in your life (the devil), an opportunity to come in. We are giving given the devil access in this area when we operate in these areas.
2. Beware of your music. It is a powerful tool either for good or evil. Seducing sprits thrive in the arena, because music lulls you to sleep, sedates a person’s spiritual sensitivity. The rock beat, in particular, is known to call up evil spirits and satanic rituals. Are we saying only to listen to gospel music only? The answer is no. Any music that speaks of love and relational edification is good. What we do want you to understand is you need to pay attention to what you are listening to. Don’t listen to stuff that will turn your spirit away and lull you to sleep in the spirit. Ex- There is a difference between listening to a love songs and a song that says, “I’ll die for her!” What do think person listens to on their way to rob a bank? – If you fool with any of these, you give the devil access. What do you do listen to when you go out creeping? I am sure it is not “I will trust you in the Lord”. The answer is we normally put on something that sedates our sensitivity and moves us far away from being spiritual. Ex- Pay attention to this. Do you remember Lucifer (the Devil)? In heaven was over music. The reason he got cast out of heaven along with a 3rd of the angels, is because he was sick of the glory going to God. God cast him and his angels out as a result of his rebellion. Now just because Satan got cast out of heaven, doesn’t mean he stopped music. Since God got glory in heaven Satan figures that maybe he should get the glory down here on the earth. As a result, he got into our music. Imagine the manipulative paradox, social and spiritual illusion, and conflicted reality of this moment played out in the drama of music in this realm. Ex- An artist can sing while calling you a B and a Wh, tell you to kiss his A, and say F you, then he will get up and say , “Thank God for his award.” We are not judging, but imagine how disillusioning this could be to someone that is trying to figure this out. Music can mess up your head. Imagine songs like “You will always be mines”. This is a stalker song. What about, “I knocked the window out your car”? You might think you are mature enough to think it won’t bother you, but in this case Satan is not after you. If he can’t get you through music, he will turn his attack on your children. You are listening to it, but you kids suffer the attack. Ex –Your son hears the negative things in a song and begins to think that this is the way he has to act to be a man. Pay attention to what you are feeding to your spirit.
3. Realize that the television is a common vehicle for allowing every kind of evil spirit imaginable into your home. It’s governed by the prince of the power of the air (the Devil). This is why reality TV is so popular. – The devil is trying to create a whole new reality, so another generation will think this is normal. 5 or 10 yrs from now, what we know as traditional marriage won’t exist. Our kids will think it is normal to live in a house with more than one wife.
4. Understand that knowingly practicing sin gives Satan a legal right in your life. 1 John 5:18 says 18We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. – Satan has no right to touch a child of God who is not sinning. Cleanse your home of any possessions that displeases the Lord such as Books, Magazine, statues, etc… All of these open a door to the enemy.
5. Break ancestral curses by the Holy Spirit. Evil spirits will continue their maladies down the family line until the cycle is broken by the power of God.
6. Submit yourself to God. When you resist the Devil he will flee from you. James 4:7 says 7Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 1 Corinthians 10:21 says 21Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord’s table, and of the table of devils. -You cannot do what God wants you to do and do what the devil wants at the same time. You cannot be in church and shouting and then do that afterwards (going out into the world and doing something that represents the exact opposite.)
1. Your “this and that” consists of at least 3 things. By this we mean what are 3 things that you do that are completely opposite of the things you do that represent God? Write them down.
2. You got to choose who you will serve this day. Joshua 24:15 says 15And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
3. Daniel saw a lot of visions. In Daniel 10:13 says 13But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia. – He saw the kingdom of Persia. What we see Daniel saying is there was an attempt to prevent what God was trying to do, but God sent an angel to protect him.
4. You have angelic help to help you with what is on that list. Daniel 10:3 says3I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled. – Why can’t you then stop doing what is on your list (written down on #1). How many of you wrote down something down on your list at #1 yet you really love the Lord and you feel that you are really saved? The issue is what is on the list. You won’t overcome the things that are on your list in the flesh. If you could, you would have done it by now. You have to allow the word to come into your spirit and bring your flesh to be under submission. This is why when some things can only be dealt with by prayer and fasting.
Demons should be afraid of us
1. Historically, the Devil ran from Jesus. Matthew 8:29 says 29And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time? – The devil historically has run from Jesus. In John 14 Jesus proclaimed that greater works than him would we do. If this is true, why aren’t demons running from us? It is because we are afraid of the devil. We are not supposed to run from devil he is supposed to run from us. Ex- Dogs for example sense fear. If a Chihuahua (chiwawa) senses that you are afraid, that dog believes he or she is 10 ft tall. That dog will run you. Why do you think dogs bark at cars? It is because they think the cars are running from them. The truth is dog is really barking at something that could potentially kill it. Like the dog, the devil is barking at you knowing that you could turn around and put this to death, but if you run, you give the devil more power than he really has.
2. How did we overcome this? We overcame by the blood of the lamb. Revelation 12:11 says 11And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
How do we take authority over attacks? We plead the blood. We are dealing with laws and principalities in two realms. Now a plea is a statement of conviction. When a person is standing in the court room hearing the charges that are raised against them, they make a plea. They are saying regardless to what they have against me, they plead this because they are convicted about what they believe is right or wrong. When you plead the blood, it is rooted in a conviction about the power of the blood. When you understand in Genesis where Adam and Eve sinned after being beguiled by the serpent, you realize that this is when sin entered the world. The wages of this sin was death. Men throughout the Old Testament had to deal with their sin issues. They had to bring sacrifices (lambs and bullocks) to be killed and their blood sprinkled at the altar. Once the blood was shed, the priest would go behind the veil and make statements of forgiveness on behalf of those who brought sacrifices. There become a time where there was more sin than lambs and bullocks to cover these sins. When the blood lambs and bullocks it wasn’t’ enough, God would send his son to be the ultimate sacrifice. Jesus shed his blood. He even shed it before the cross. He was whipped 39 times. It was part of a prophetic utterance prophesied by Isaiah. Isaiah said “Jesus would be wounded for our transgressions and bruised by our iniquities. The chastisement of our peace was upon him and by his stripes we would be healed”. Jesus was bleeding when they put him on the cross. As Jesus blood was shed as he was nailed to the cross, his blood was transforming power. His blood would do what lambs and bullocks couldn’t do. His blood would blot out sins for many generations. Sin was brought in with one man (Adam) and it would be taken out by another man (Jesus). When Jesus said it is finished, the veil was rent into. There was no more need for a priestly confession. Watch this typology (where you see something in earlier scripture that will happen later), in Exodus, when the death angel rolled through Egypt. The Israelites were told to blood on the door post. When the death angel came by and saw this blood, he would pass over their house. The death angel killed the first born of the Egyptians, but passed over the children of Israel. Wherefore the blood is, the death angel must pass over. When Jesus said it is finished, he gained the authority over death, sin, and the grave. Paul wrote to the church at Corinth, “Oh death, where is thou sting. Oh grave where is thou victory. The sting of death is sin, power of sin is the law, but thanks to God who gave us the victory through Jesus Christ. The bible says be yea steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in work of the Lord, because your work is not in vain. Now Satan is a defeated foe. He knows, but since he is a sore loser. If there is a loser, there has to be a victor, this why we have to choose what side we are going to be on. Will you be on the winners or losers side? If Satan is a loser, he wants you to be a loser. He is trying to make you lose your mind, your family, your money, and your career! He doesn’t know that if you know what you know, you can speak to him from a place of authority. When you plead the blood, you remind him of what happened at Calvary. He does not have authority over your life and has to therefore pass over you. You need to plead the blood over your house, finances, and every situation! The song writer says it is the blood thaaat reaches to the highest mountain and flows to the lowest valley… It will never loose its power! Plead the blood!