Angels and Demons Part IX
How we ought to live in victory
Synopsis of Bible Study 11/17/10
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
As a believer, every Christian should be aware that you are subject to demonic attacks. Because we have these attacks, we have angelic interventions that occur to try and keep things from happening to us. It is important for you to know that God’s desire for us to live in victory.
The Christians victory
James 4:7 says 7Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
1. The bible says submit. This means to be under authority, so in other words, we must be under the authority of the Lord.
2. What does that mean? To understand this, we must see God here as triune (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost). In other words we must see God as 3 in 1. This means we must submit to his Lordship, his revelation, and the power of the Holy Spirit.
a. Submit to his Lordship– We realize that God is over us.
b. Submit to his word-Revelation of God’s word is in our context.
c. Submitting to the power of the Holy Spirit – Ephesians 5:13 says 13But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
3. The reason some of us can’t resist the devil is because we are not completely submitting. Partial submission is not an option. We must submit totally to God’s Lordship, his word, and the power of the Holy Spirit and then we will have the wherewithal to resist the devil, causing him run from us.
4. Many of us spend most of our time submitting to the devil. If we have total submission, the devil should be running from us. It should not be the other way around. Ex- Remember the Atari game back in the day called PacMan? The whole concept of the game was PacMan would go through the maze eating pellets while trying to avoid the ghost who were trying to eat him. PacMan runs from the ghosts that are trying to get him. PacMan eventually runs into bigger pellets that allow him to become something bigger than he is. As a result of being empowered by the bigger pellets, PacMan chases what was chasing him (the ghost). In like manner, when we submit to God’s Lordship, his word, and the power of the Holy Spirit, we have eaten a bigger pellet and we are empowered. The devil looks at us and says, that is too much power.
5. If we are going to get the victory, we have to know how the Devil Works.
Christian conduct towards Satan
1 Peter 5:8 says 8Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
1. Sober in this scripture means don’t be under influence of anything that can make your mind go one way or another. Be alert and be vigilant, so you can be aware of Satan.
2. Take a look at the metaphor. The scripture says Satan is like a roaring lion. Ex – Bishop explains that he watches Animal Diary. On this show, they explain how a lions hunt. You have a herd of gazelle on one hand and on the other hand, you have this den of lions that may have 7 females to every one male. The males don’t hunt. They just eat and make babies. The females do the hunting. The female lions scan the herd and lock in on one gazelle. The lionesses have examined the herd and locked in on the weakest link. The Alpha lioness begins to stalk the herd. As she steps out, her other lionesses step out with her but in other directions. The other lionesses are waiting for her queue (alpha female). When the time right, the alpha lioness charges the herd. Her responsibility is to make the prey (the weakest one) fearful enough to run and separate from the herd. As this gazelle runs trying to avoid the alpha lioness, it runs right into the other hunters/lionesses. The gazelle has run right into an ambush. What does this have to do with us you might ask? Satan hunts us in like manner. The devil knows our weaknesses and searches us out. He has demons around us waiting for us to run into an ambush. We can end up in a messed up situation and be left wondering how we got there. Satan’s purpose is to separate us from God. This is why you shouldn’t give the devil a place.
3. A Scripture to remember. Ephesians 4:27 says 27Neither give place to the devil. – Don’t give the devil a place. What does that mean? What the devil is looking for is an opportunity or an opening. Remember the acronym we learned called HALT. The H-stands for Hunger, the A -stands for angry, the L – stands for Lonely, and the T – stands for Tired. The devil gets into us when we are at any of these states. This is when you contemplate participating in the” that will do ministry”. When you are hungry, anger, lonely, or tired all your defenses are not up. The devil got a place with Eve, because she didn’t tell Adam the snake was there.
1. Write down the top 3 things that gave the devil a place in your life
2. Under each one of them, write down what it cost you?
3. In what areas did you give a place to Devil (named in the top 3) that is still open (put a check mark by it)? Does the Devil still have access to those places?
4. Demonstration of previous question :
There is an imaginary door. We go through the door and close the door behind us.
a. Phase one – We are peeping out at the thing that we closed the door on.
b. Phase two – We jump in and out the door. In other words, we are jumping in and out of the thing we say we have closed the door on.
c. Phase three – We jump all the way out the door. We have decided to stay in the thing that we say we closed the door on.
5. When you think about the thing that gave place to the devil and what it cost you, does it upset you?
6. God gave us this amazing promise. No matter what snare we get caught in, we can get out of it. 2 Timothy 2:26 says 26And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will. – Even though I might be in a trap or a snare from the devil, it isn’t over for us. We can still get out of it. No matter what was on your list (mentioned above), you can still get of it.
How do we get out of our snare?
7. When Gabriel blows his trumpet, the dead in Christ shall rise. 1 Corinthians 15:5151Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, – Remember the 2 realms we talked about? The law in spirit overrides the laws in the physical realm. Sleep in this scripture means just that. Everyone is not going to die. Some of us will be caught up in the rapture. When Gabriel blows the trumpet, the dead in Christ will rise. Those who died in Lord and went to the spiritual realm are no longer corrupted. When they comeback, they will come back in corrupted. They are where there is no sickness or disease. Those caught up will be changed and will not look the same.
8. Mortality must put on immortality. 1 Corinthians 15:53 53For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
9. Death will be swallowed up in victory. – 1 Corinthians 15:57 54So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. 55O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? 56The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. 57But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. – Examples: You have life on the right and death on left. The devil is trying to rob you. Life is eternal life. The wages of sin is death. The gift of God is eternal life. Watch what Satan is trying to do. In the beginning, in the Garden of Eden, when God made Adam and Eve, they were designed to have eternal life. They were designed to live forever. Satan comes in (they weren’t supposed to eat of a certain tree in the midst of the garden) and they ate of the forbidden tree. God had told them if they ate of this tree, they would surely die. When they ate of the tree, they didn’t die right away, but they turned towards death. They were headed into that direction. In other words, we are born dying. Physic logically, you are getting closer to death every day you live. Because of sin, we are born into sin, so we are always moving towards death. We have a natural evolution towards death because of sin. How does God bypass this natural evolution towards death? God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosever believes him shall not perish, but have everlasting life. The moment we accepted Christ, we turned from death and headed towards eternal life. We are now back on track at this point.
10. Death where is thou victory? The sting of death is sin. The only way death can get us is sin. The Devil then has to use his demons to bring sin to us.
a. Sin means to miss the mark. What mark? It is forgetting those things which are behind us and pressing towards the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. The devil knows he can’t get you to death if he tells you what he is up to, so he packages himself to look like life. This way he can catch you slipping. He wants you to think your life is boring so you will kick it and have a good time not knowing that it leads to death. John 10:10 says 10The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. – Just because you are saved it doesn’t mean you can’t have life down here on earth. You must realize that you can have life without death. There is a way that seems like life but at the ends is death. This is a trap of the Devil (a snare). Ex- Bishop Walker explains that he saw something he had never seen before in his 20+ yrs of preaching. Jesus is on the cross, one thief says, “If you be Christ save us and yourself!” The other thief says “Remember me when you get into your kingdom. “ It was dramatized on the cross for us to make us understand we have a choice between life and death.
11. Doing good might seem hard. This is why sin is fun. Everything bad for you feels so good. Until you change your lifestyle, doing good seems hard. Ex2- Bishop explains how he never thought he could start living life without eating what he was eating. He never thought there would come a day where egg whites and oatmeal would be alright with him. Now the diet has become a lifestyle and since it is a lifestyle, it is not a strain any longer. These things are only a strain before your lifestyle changes. Your appetite changes when your lifestyle changes.
12. It is important that you do not blame Satan for what your flesh does. We know what we are doing wrong, but we need somebody to tell us how not to do wrong. Romans 7:15 15For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. 16If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. 17Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. 19For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
13. We opened up saying the devil is looking for place or access into us. Remember the Lion is looking for something vulnerable. Romans 7:20 – 25 20Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 21I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. 22For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: 23But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. – Ex- Satan knows you don’t have a drug problem, so he won’t offer you any. He knows that might not be your issue. What Satan will do is send something to you that is your issue.
14. The point is the Devil is a coward so he specializes in setting traps, like we set cheese out for rats. Satan knows your issue. He knows all he has to do and lay it in front of you and go away and that which is within you will make you go and get it. Satan lays what your issue is right in front of you. Ex – The devil was not the one puff-puff passing. It was your flesh. The devil sets back and listens for his traps to go off “Pow, pow, pow.” Real deliverance is not the alcoholic that doesn’t drink when he is not around liquor. Real deliverance is not wanting alcohol when you are around liquor.
15. Every day you wake up you are confronted with choices. Choices lead to decisions and decisions lead to consequences. The more you grow the more choices you get.
16. Choices lead to decisions. Decisions lead to consequences. God says he lays before you life or death (our choices). Ex – Bishop explains that he had a mentor 4 yrs ago that was asked how do you deal with choices when you are hit with things on every hand? The mentor explained, “Treat everything like a demonic setup and you will make it.” Ex2- Paul would always make a distinction when he spoke. Some things he would say, God told him to say and some things he would say God gave him permission to say them. In like manner, Bishop says by permission that he used to let people come into his life and start at a 100%. Through the friendship cycle, they would maintain the 100% or chip away with it. Now Bishop says he gives everyone a 0% starting out and they have to work their way up. This way, he is never disappointed. The devil is cunning and conniving, but we have decided to choose life.