I’m in a better place
Synopsis of Sermon 9/26/10
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Romans 5:1-5 1Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 2By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 4And patience, experience; and experience, hope: 5And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
Anyone that has had an authentic relationship with Jesus will tell you that there is power in transformation. Transformation is validation that your conviction was real. There is no way to experience a relationship with Jesus and no experience change. God will come into your life and change your life circumstances and view on life. Many of us come with a variety of backgrounds and experience, but God saved us. He looked beyond our faults and supplied all our needs. Whatever God has blessed you with; you ought to thank him that he saved you beyond all of your mess.
When you look at this letter in Romans, you see an amazing revelation. It is really a chronicle of the human condition. We need to first go back through and see what the books of Romans reveals to us.
a. In Romans 1- Paul gives a Salutation. In other words, Paul greets them.
b. In Romans 2 we see investigation. God looks at life of the people.
c. In Romans 3 we have adjudication. God explains that no man can judge you. He is the righteous judge.
d. In Romans 4 we have Justification. It clears of us of stuff in our life.
e. Romans 5 give us Motivation. Those that received justification now has motivation.
f. Romans 6 is about Obligation. We are obligated to represent God in the earth realm.
g. Romans 7 is about Situation. Paul explains that he is in a situation. That he doesn’t want to do, he finds himself doing…
h. Romans 8 talks about condemnation. There is no condemnation who walks after the spirit of God.
i. Romans 9 talks about God’s determination. Gods desire to save us
j. Romans 10 reminds us of our salvation. If we confess with our mouth believe and believe in our hearts, we shall be saved.
k. Romans 11 is about restoration. God won’t leave anyone out. He wants to restore those that have been lost.
l. Romans 12 talks about consecration. God wants to clean us ourselves up.
m. Romans 13 talks about expectation. We live expecting God to at anytime, step in our situation.
n. Romans 14 talks about liberation or being free in Christ. We have been set free of our sin.
o. Romans 15 reminds us of our affiliation. Be careful the crowd you hang around.
p. Romans 16 talks about conservation. This deal with the way we talk and deal with people should be in love.
As we walk through this, Paul deals with salvation and being justified by faith. This means that we are saved meaning we are turning from old ways and turning towards God, then we are sanctified, and then we are positioned then for glory.
Some people are beginning to count the cost their past and they can see what their past has cost them. People are looking at you as a victim. Sometime people will try and make you remember where you been, but you can declare that you are truly in a better place now, than ever before. Now you probably couldn’t say this a month ago, a yr ago, or even 2 yrs ago. God has shifted you and you are in another place. Things that used to break you can’t break you any longer. You are in another place. Your response has gotten greater because you in a greater place. It is your response to what God has done in our life.
I. Peace with your past
Romans 5: 1 says 1Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
1. Only through this relationship will we have peace. When the promise of God is on your life, the devil will assign people to bring up your past constantly. These people can recall everybody’s past but their own. The devil is so stupid he doesn’t understand that you have peace about the very thing he is trying to call attention to. When you got saved, God dropped the charges and made it as if you never done it. That is what justified means. God abolished it out of our record.
2. Be careful being around people are always talking about others. You can be sure that they are talking about you when you aren’t round. As the song writer says, “Sweep around your own front door before you try and sweep around mines.” This is why some are not elevated. Their hate-ration is stopping their elevation
3. Those that have peace with God, don’t trip about their past. While other people are worried about our yesterday, we are looking at our tomorrow. We have a new relationship with Christ.
4. We are not in denial about our past:
A. We own it. Most of the stuff the enemy tries to bring up about us is true, but we own it. We don’t deny, but we are past it. That was my drunk, high, or sleeping around it, but we are past it.
B. Oppressed by it – At one time we were oppressed by our past. It had a hold on us. It was taking control of our life. Some people may wonder how we can be in church if we own it. What gives us the right do we have to speak of righteousness and bring someone else to Christ? It is because of the next point. We overcame it!
C. Overcame it– We are over it now. We are over-comers! God has allowed us to have some mess in our lives, but it gave us awesome testimonies. Some of us build testimonies on others with cookie cutter build a bear testimonies. For example “Bridge over troubled water” and “Shelter in the time of the storm.” We need to be able to tell our real testimony. We don’t look like half of our testimony. You can deal with a person’s past if you want, but know they have peace about it. Good took your past and put it in the sea of forgetfulness and then he posted a no fishing sign.
II. Provisions in his presence.
Romans 5:2 says 2By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
1. We have the awesome opportunity to get stuff because we know it is available, even though we don’t deserve it (that’s grace), because we are in relationship with Christ. When Christ comes into our life we have access to certain things.
2. God can’t be separated from what he gives.
3. The transition is difficult. This is because we have been depending on others. We don’t depend on people for this, because we have access. We have access to the grace we stand in. We have that access through faith. For years, people didn’t know what they had. We understand that he has all that we need, but more than that, he can’t be separated from what he gives us. We can be separated from what we give, but God can’t. Whatever God gives, he can’t be separated from. For example, he don’t just give joy, he is joy. He doesn’t just give peace, God is peace.
4. We didn’t realize what we had. Paul says we have access by faith. Ex-Bishop explains that he had a connecting flight in Dallas Texas. He learned that he was going to have 2 – 4 hr layover. Sitting there he was kind of agitated. There were babies crying, he was hungry, and it was crowded. It is 5:30 in the morning and somebody was talking real loud on the phone. Who on earth could you be talking to on the phone at 5:30 in the morning? All of the sudden, Bishop looks up and he see some seats and something is flashing upstairs. All of a sudden it hit him. It was a priority club and he remembered that he had received a card for a membership to this club in the mail, because he flies so much. In other words, he had access to the club level. Bishop didn’t know what he really had in the card, so he pulled out his laptop to see what all he really had in the card. After viewing the information on the web, he realized he could go to the priority club and get orange juice, food, drinks and sit back and relax and watch TV. They would even wake him up tell when flight is about to take off if he falls asleep. Bishop took his bags and went up elevator like he was really somebody. What he really was doing was leaving a level of confusion and mess to go to another level. We have to walk in our access.
5. When you have the spirit of expectation, you actually get on peoples nerves, because you are always expecting something to happen.
6. By going to another level, we get:
a. Retreat-We get a retreat from the drama in our lives.
b. Refreshments – We get the opportunity to be refreshed from our situation.
c. Rest-This is kind of access is by faith. Like Bishop having the card, these people didn’t know what they had. God gave you access. You don’t have to hang with drama. Come on up a little higher. Tap into your access. Paul says we have hope and this is called expectation. The amazing thing about this is we are rejoicing before God shows up in verse 2. Some are going into another situation and leaving others behind. You have to always go through looking like something is going to happen. Be expecting something to happen. We believe God is going to show up in our situation and at any moment and turn things around.
III. Praise him through your problems
Romans 5:3 says 3And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
1. We act a fool, because even in trouble, we know something. Tribulation works patience and patience is dependence on God.
2. Our portfolio is being expanded through our experience. Romans 5:4 says 4And patience, experience; and experience, hope:- It is because of this experience, we have hope.
3. Hope makes us not ashamed. Romans 5:5 says 5And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
4. We know how to handle adversity. The devil doesn’t understand that adversity makes us better. It is because we have learned how to praise God through it. If you knew what we did in our past, you would act like we act. The trial came to make us dependent on God. We are at a point where we are totally dependent on him
5. Many of us have the demon of worry. It will keep you all night long watching reruns of Gunsmoke. You got to understand, God will put you in situation where nothing else works, and then we have no choice but to go to him. God wants to see how long it will take for you to see that only he can work it out.
6. Tribulation works patience. Patience works experience. The next time you say you have Christian Experience, you need to check yourself. Christian experience is the stuff you have gone through. You got the scars to prove it. Some of you, experienced are so varied; it is amazing you are in your right mind. Ex – Imagine God telling one of the angels, come down and interview you for a promotion. Based on what we have gone through, you are able to say you are still in your right mind. God promotes you because you pass test, not because of tenure. Experience brings hope. God gives you a new attitude.
7. Hope makes us not ashamed. What sustains us is the hope that we have. Romans 5:5 says 5And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is, the Holy Spirit reminds us how much God love us, regardless of what we go through. – Without the Holy Spirit reminding us how much God loves us, we would think God hates us. Because we are saved, the Holy Ghost keeps reminding us so we don’t think God is punishing us for what we did in our past. The Holy Spirit reminds us that no matter what we go through, God still loves us. Ex- Bishop went to the dentist a couple yrs ago. You got to be true teeth or they will be false to you. Bishop had extensive dental work done. Like most men, Bishop can’t take pain like women can. Bishop has phobias about the dentist. Bishop got anxiety about this needle situation. When he finally gets to the dentist, they lay me back, turn the music on sooth him The dental assistant came to give him a shot in the gums. Bishop’s toes start tightening up. She said you going to feel a little pinch. She gives him the shot in his gums. She said we done and few moments later Bishop noticed his mouth feeling funny. In that area it was is numb. Dentist comes in with dental assistant and they have all these drills and stuff. This is stuff that he knows that will cause more pain. The Dentist got him in position, because the prep work had been done. Bishop noticed that when the dentist used the tools that was supposed to hurt, he could hardly feel it. The reason he couldn’t feel it is because the dental assistant gave him a shot in area that they were going to work on. They numbed it enough so when the Dentist came to work in the area it would not hurt. The area was prepared. What God allowed you to go through a few yrs. Ago was a little pinch that prepared you for what you are going through now. You are not hurting while you are going through, because what you have gone through, numbed that area.