Synopsis of Bible Study 08/28/10
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
7th Commandment – Thou shall not commit adultery
- This is simply a transgression of covenant in any form. When we look at marriage, we have to understand something about what God was doing in this area of covenant. When he put this commandment out there, Israel (God’s chosen people) was becoming a nation. Generational blessings were real important to them. God was concerned about the seed or the generations that would follow. This is why marriages were important. God wanted marriage to be healthy. He was protecting this covenant. 1 Corinthians 7:2 says 2Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. Hebrews 13:4 says 4Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge. – As we look at this, we have to think about what is the actual cause of adultery.
Causes of Adultery:
- Some people suggest that unhappy marriages can result in adultery. Clearly, lots of people can marry too soon. Some people marry for the wrong reason. Some people marry just to have some eye candy, but as you know, candy can set up and spoil just like anything else. Candy can get hard and change on you. You can’t marry someone, just because they are eye candy. You have to marry somebody, because they share values with you and have destiny with you. Sometimes when you don’t have understanding of what marriage is about, you don’t understand that it takes more than love to have a successful marriage.
- It takes more than love to be married. Wherever there are vulnerabilities, the devil pokes at it.
- Unhappiness in marriage can be from a lack of communication. Wherever there is a deficiency in the home that will be a point of attack and the devil uses adultery to come in. If you look at how the Devil attempts to get at Adam you will see the attack was on their marriage. Adam was not paying attention to Eve and Satan came in and had a conversation with her, without Adam even being aware of it.
Now here is the deal about adultery.
- Whoever it is that you are committing adultery with, know that they are not going to commit a future with you. The person may be unhappy in their marriage and you may feel like you got them, but understand at best, whatever you have with them has tenure.
- Cheating on a spouse tells you how this person deals with a situation they don’t like. This says that this person avoids dealing with unpleasant situations they don’t like. This tells us that this person avoids dealing with unpleasant situations head on. This should tell you that if the person is with you and they have a situation that they don’t want to deal with, they will resort to devious behavior. If you are the person having the affair, you are not the only one.
- Hiding is exhausting. Some of you are not even married and you are cheating too. It is hard to creep. You have to watch your phone; you have to have two or three email addresses, two phones, and etc… It just takes too much time to lie. You can’t even keep track of the lies you told. This wears you out!
- You are allowing that person to have their cake and eat it too. If the person has a legitimate marriage, it allows them to keep their public persona and then they have their illegitimate relationship with you. Ultimately one person serves as position and the other serves as function.
- Can you really love somebody that is disrespectful to their spouse? The existence of a relationship with a married person tells you how little they respect their spouse. They are lying to their spouse instead of being man/woman enough to tell them that they want out.
- Once they lose respect for you, it’s over.
- If you have an affair, you are not a home wrecker, you instead are an accomplice. You are willing participant of a person violating their vows and betraying the trust of their covenant. You are willing accomplice of disappointing their children and bringing shame on their family.
- You are kidding yourself. Despite the compliments that they give to you, you are kidding yourself.
- You got to be aware of the guilt boomerang. Many times people have difficulty accepting full responsibility for their actions. As a result, we like to send out blame to everyone else for our being in this situation. There are moments where you feel like you are entitled to do something crazy, so you start throwing guilt out to others. The problem is that same guilt will start coming back to you.
- Time is too precious to waste. Time passes fast so imagine the time you spend in foolish relationships. You could have used that time pursuing your destiny and probably walking into your destiny by now.
What is Adultery?
- Adultery is really a curse. Some would suggest that a lot of disease comes from adultery.
- It is when you are not at ease. Sometimes people (victims) make themselves the problem. They say that it wouldn’t have happened if maybe they had done a certain thing. This is not true. This would happen no matter what you have done. The person that is acting in the act of adultery is not at ease. If there is a disconnect in their relationship with God or themselves, it doesn’t matter who they are with, until they get into proper relationship with themselves or God, they are not going to be in proper relationship with you. The myth about marriage is people think they need to get married so they can start living right. You don’t realize that this will not happen. You got to get into proper relationship with God and yourself first. There is something that is not at ease in your life.
- Adultery has a bad effect on children. Adultery leads to divorce. There are more than 9 million children in this country alone who are in step-children situations. Social-ologist suggests it takes children up to 33 yrs just to get over a divorce. Parents may get over it quick, but the child has a harder time. They carry this hurt into other relationships and it shows up in how they interact with other people. When you come together, it has to be deeper than you. The enemy is after your children, not just you. This is why most men aren’t just fighting their own demons. They are fight demons of their Fathers.
- Effects your Devine Judgment. Proverbs 5:20-23 says 20And why wilt thou, my son, be ravished with a strange woman, and embrace the bosom of a stranger? 21For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and he pondereth all his goings. 22His own iniquities shall take the wicked himself, and he shall be holden with the cords of his sins. 23He shall die without instruction; and in the greatness of his folly he shall go astray. Proverbs 6:32-33 says 32But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul. 33A wound and dishonour shall he get; and his reproach shall not be wiped away. Proverbs 7:22-23 says 22He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks; 23Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird hasteth to the snare, and knoweth not that it is for his life. – He has no idea that when he is running after this, it affects his life. It is fun on the front and fatal at the finish.
Kinds of Adultery
- Physical Adultery-This is what David did in 2 Samuel 11 when he slept with Bathsheba. This is when you go with someone who is married and cross boundaries into having a relationship. Galatians 5:19 says 19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, – This scripture lists it as works of the flesh. Notice Adultery is listed as the very first work of the flesh.
- Mental Adultery – Matthew 5:27-28 says 27Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 28But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.- The lusting of another person is equated to adultery. You will be surprised at the stuff that goes on in people’s minds (some would say no they wouldn’t be surprised, because they know what goes on in their mind). How many of you have caught yourself, after seeing somebody that was married, yet handsome or cute, and you had to reel your mind back in? If you are human, many of us are guilty of this. Your flesh is always going to challenge you and push you out like that. It tries to push you from admiration to desire. 2 Peter 2:14 says 14Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:- You want what somebody else got and all of a sudden you end up with cursed children. You have been cursed because of your eyes and as a result, whatever you produce is cursed too. Ex- Daddy was a rolling stone and wherever he laid his hat was his home. Now his children are this way too.
- Spiritual Adultery – This is when you break covenant with God. There is no sin hierarchy. Solomon committed spiritual adultery. In 1 Kings 11:3-13 it says 3And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart.4For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father. 5For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites. 6And Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD, and went not fully after the LORD, as did David his father. 7Then did Solomon build an high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon. 8And likewise did he for all his strange wives, which burnt incense and sacrificed unto their gods. 9And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel, which had appeared unto him twice, 10And had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods: but he kept not that which the LORD commanded.11Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant. 12Notwithstanding in thy days I will not do it for David thy father’s sake: but I will rend it out of the hand of thy son. 13Howbeit I will not rend away all the kingdom; but will give one tribe to thy son for David my servant’s sake, and for Jerusalem’s sake which I have chosen. In Hosea, there is another example. Hosea is a book dramatizing the relationship between Israel and God. It is dramatized metaphorically as God being the husband and Gomer as Israel. Gomer represents Israel and Hosea the prophet represents God. Gomer breaks covenant with Hosea who represents God. Gomer keeps leaving and having affairs. She is a prostitute and Hosea keeps bringing her back. It is like Gomer is saying, this time I will be faithful in church and I am going to do what I am supposed to do and after a while, she quits coming to church. It is like being a Deacon and then to stop Deacon-ing so to speak. It is like being a choir member and then stop being a choir member. You make a covenant with God and then you break your end of the bargain. Hosea 4:15-19 says 15Though thou, Israel, play the harlot, yet let not Judah offend; and come not ye unto Gilgal, neither go ye up to Bethaven, nor swear, The LORD liveth. 16For Israel slideth back as a backsliding heifer: now the LORD will feed them as a lamb in a large place. 17Ephraim is joined to idols: let him alone. 18Their drink is sour: they have committed whoredom continually: her rulers with shame do love, Give ye. 19The wind hath bound her up in her wings, and they shall be ashamed because of their sacrifices. – Though we are like a heifer that resists, God says he will feed us like a lamb. We need to ask ourselves are we a spiritual adultery? When we promise the Lord we are going to do better and then we fall off, this is spiritual adultery.
How do we cure this?
- Watch your company. Proverbs 5:8 says 8Remove thy way far from her, and come not nigh the door of her house: – There are some people that you have to recognize that you just can’t hang around. They bring out all of your vulnerabilities. Some people have great influence over you and you have to be careful that you don’t put yourself into situations. If we feel something in you that shouldn’t be there when you are with someone, then we need to be careful how you interact with that person alone.
- Be careful with your eyes. Eyes represent focus and what you focus on. Job 31:1 says 1I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid? – Job was saying to himself, “I am tripping. I am focusing on something I shouldn’t be focusing on.’ He was at a place of vulnerability. Vulnerability leads to gullibility. The devil always attacks you when you are vulnerable. How many will be honest and say most of your attacks came when you were the most vulnerable and needed somebody to talk to. This is why you need to be careful with your conversation. 1 Corinthians 15:33 says 33Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. – Remember it was the devil that got Eve through talking. Delilah got Samson through talking. The devil tried to tempt Jesus in Matthew 4, by talking! It was by language and words. Addiction is the accumulation of diction. This is why people that are addicted say it talked to me. Some people have incredible influence when they talk to you. We call it swagger. Some people can talk you into anything. You start out saying no at the beginning of the conversation and you at least say you will think about it at the end of the conversation.
- Look after your heart. Proverbs 4:23 says 23Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. – This stuff can get into your heart and then into your spirit.
- Pay attention to your dress. Proverbs 7:10 says 10And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.- This woman knew she was going to meet him, she put what she wore on purpose, to come and tempt this man. – Nothing happens by coincidence. Ex: Them: “I didn’t know this was too short” Us: “yeah right!”. This person stood in the mirror for 30mins looking at how short this dress was before they came out with it on. Them: “Really, Is this too tight? – This person knows that they did this on purpose. We do this on purpose and then we get upset when people are drawn to it. We say, “I am more than my body”, yet it is hard to see your brain past your cleavage. Whatever you put out there is what people will be drawn to. Any man or woman of integrity is drawn to mystery. We are often like a flea market (all out in the open) instead of a boutique. Don’t be a flea market, be a boutique. Things are more expensive in a boutique.
- Avoid bad literature and pictures. You are putting things into your spirit. These magazines and pictures put stuff into your life. Pornography gets in your spirit and causes you to bring things home and you start expecting your mate to do what you saw. You have a wonderful relationship and then you start trying to change them into your porn image or fantasy. Nobody is going to do all that. You have to have a normal healthy relationship with somebody.
- Avoid idleness. When you don’t have anything to do or too much time on your hands, this is when you are in trouble. This is what happened to Sodom. God says to the prophet Ezekiel 16:49 says 49Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.- This is what happened to them. It was caused by the abundance of idleness. They had too much free time on their hands. Ask God for a Christ like love for your mate. Ephesians 5:25 says 25Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;- Ask the Lord every day, “Lord give me a passion and love for my spouse”. When we see the light dimming, ask the Lord to light the fire again. The grass might look greener on the other side of the fence and sometimes it is, but it is because of the manure that fertilized it. Get knee deep in that if you want to.
- You got to labor to get the fear of God in your heart. Proverbs 16:6 says 6By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil. – Sometimes you ought to fear God enough to say you can’t do that.
- Take delight in the word of God. Psalm 119:103 says 103How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth! – God’s word is sweeter than honey. When you get a chance tonight read Psalm 51:1-12 and pray this prayer in it. It will bless you
8th Commandment- Thou shall not steal.
- A thief is somebody that takes something that doesn’t belong to them. The cause of theft can sometimes be laziness. It can come from people who don’t want to work and just want to take (just lazy). There are 2 kinds of people in the world. They are givers and takers. Which are you? A thief thanks he can master the situation. Every thief thinks he is smarter than the system. Proverbs 26:16 says 16The sluggard is wiser in his own conceit than seven men that can render a reason. – The thief thinks he is bigger and better than the whole system. Proverbs 13:4 4The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat.- If you are lazy, you will not get anything out of life.
Things that will position us to be a person that steals
- Excessive Debt– Dept can bring on poverty which can drive you to be a thief. Everyone poor is not a thief, but debt can put you in want which can put you in a position to challenge your integrity. Romans 13:8 says 8Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. – It is a wonderful thing to desire to be debt free. When you are debt free, you can walk in a place and say, “Do you still accept cash?” This is a wonderful thing. Proverbs 30:9 says 9Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.- The bible says we don’t want to be so destitute that we start contemplating things beyond our convictions.
- Unbelief- This is not trusting God. Psalm 78:19 says 19Yea, they spake against God; they said, Can God furnish a table in the wilderness? – This is what we do. We question whether God can make a way in our situation. You got to know that God can do whatever he says he is going to do in our situaton. No matter what the dead line is, you got to walk by faith.
Kinds of Theft
a. We steal from our employers. – This is one of the most common types of theft. If you do not give your employer the amount of time that you have been contracted to give them, you are stealing. When you come to work late, take two hour lunch breaks, you are stealing. When you take off early and you come to church and tell that they are attacking you on the job, this is wrong. You are stealing. When you ask people to clock you in at work, when you are not there, this is stealing.
b. Employers steal from employees by not paying them when they supposed to be paid. Leviticus 19:11-13 says 11Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another. 12And ye shall not swear by my name falsely, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD. 13Thou shalt not defraud thy neighbour, neither rob him: the wages of him that is hired shall not abide with thee all night until the morning. – If somebody has a working relationship with you and you say that you will pay them on Friday, then they expect to be paid on Friday. Pay them when you say you are going to pay them. This is called integrity.
c. It is considered theft when you overcharge people for stuff. Leviticus 19:15 says 15Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honor the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour. – Do right by everybody. Don’t take advantage of people, because of their situation. Don’t over charge someone just because you think they can pay it.
d. Borrowing and forsaking payment. Psalm 37:21 says 21The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again: but the righteous sheweth mercy, and giveth. – How many people are owed money now? How many people are owed money and the recipients of that loan walk around you like they have amnesia? They owe you money and walk around you with new stuff on like they don’t owe anything. How many of you owe somebody? This text says just because somebody didn’t pay you back; it shouldn’t cause you not to be a gracious person in giving to somebody else. Ex- Bishop has a method. When you get credit and don’t pay it back, that is thievery. Even if situations, don’t just not answer the phone. Make payment arrangements. If you are loaning money to the same folk and the same folk is not paying you back, then you maybe you need to change the folk you are loaning money to. Bishop’s theory in life now is if he can’t give it to you, then he doesn’t have it. He doesn’t want to put you in the situation by you not being able to pay it back and thus being awkward around him. Your friendship means something too much him, so if he can’t afford to give it to you, he just doesn’t. Sometimes you have to tell people you don’t have it. It doesn’t mean you necessarily don’t have it physically. It just means that you do not have them in your budget this month.
a. Time – When you get home read, read Ecclesiastes 8:5-13.
b. How do we steal time? We steal time away from our family and our children. We have no balance. We sacrifice family to alter our careers. Do you know how many people work and work and work, yet their children are neglected? We even neglect our spouses in the name of work.
c. You can steal hearts. 2 Samuel 15:6 says 6And on this manner did Absalom to all Israel that came to the king for judgment: so Absalom stole the hearts of the men of Israel. – Absalom turned their heart away from God. We do the same. We turn people away from the church and from God, by the things that we do. If you are going to leave, because of what happened to you at church, just leave. Don’t leave and take 20 people with you! We try to turn people away from God and we will have to answer for this. We have to get to a point where we recognize that our witness matters.
d. Stealing credit and honor away from God. How many times do you see people of God taking credit for success and victories that God gave? Ex- Acts 12:20-23 says 20And Herod was highly displeased with them of Tyre and Sidon: but they came with one accord to him, and, having made Blastus the king’s chamberlain their friend, desired peace; because their country was nourished by the king’s country. 21And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them. 22And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man. 23And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost. – God will not share his glory with anyone.
e. In Tithe an offerings. Ex-We have been meeting with our security team at Mt Zion, because on Sundays we keep getting robbed. With all the cameras and security, we can’t figure it out. Why do we keep getting robed every Sunday? Security says the answer is found in Malachi 3:8 where it says 8Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. – You pay your tithe and you ask isn’t it enough. The answer is no it is not. Tithe is what you owe and offering is what you sow. Everyone knows that everything you have, God gave it to you. If you know this and God just asks for 10% of what he gave you initially, then you have robbed God. At least the burglar has the decency to wait until you are gone to burglarize your stuff. A robber comes to your face with a gun with the intent of causing bodily harm if you don’t give it up. This is like what it is on Sunday. You are saying stick em up God! When a person doesn’t tithe, they inflict bodily harm.
What are the results of stealing
- It puts you in position to be hated by society. Zechariah 5:3 says 3Then said he unto me, This is the curse that goeth forth over the face of the whole earth: for every one that stealeth shall be cut off as on this side according to it; and every one that sweareth shall be cut off as on that side according to it. – A thief lives in fear wondering when they are going to be caught. Fear is a great tormentor. 1 John 4:18 says 18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. – Fear has great torment. Joshua 7:25 says 25And Joshua said, Why hast thou troubled us? the LORD shall trouble thee this day. And all Israel stoned him with stones, and burned them with fire, after they had stoned them with stones. –Judgment came to him for what he had done.
How do we avoid stealing?
- We must live in our calling. Ephesians 4:28 says 28Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.- God gave you all these resources inside of you. Even when you hit rock bottom, there ought to be some ingenuity inside of you that makes you not have to resort to stealing. We can write books, hustle, and everything else to get by. When you in purpose, you gifts will make room for you. You ought to desire not to have to work for somebody, or if you do have to work for somebody, you have something on the side that your gifts allow you to do just incase they trip.
Stealing is about:
1. Stealing is like when you don’t report all your income on your tax return.
2. Stealing is when somebody under charges you and you don’t call it to the merchants attention. This is stealing.
3. Circumstances will put you in situations where you contemplate things you never thought you would. Ex- You are in a place like Wal-Mart at 10pm. You are getting some toiletries, and then rent due, and you are laid off. In the corner by the trash can, you see a wallet on the way out. You look in it and it has 12- $100 bills in it and no one is around. If you are thinking right now that you are not sure what you would do in that situation, then you may have a little thievery in you. Even if you say, I am not sure I would give it all back; you have a little thievery in you. Ex- Bishop says he was in Los Angeles CA and something like this happened. Coming down the escalator he saw something shining. It was a ring. He asked one of the cashiers if they had a lost and found in the store. The lady he asked said do you know what this is? She said it was a flawless diamond. It was about an 80-100,000 dollar ring. Now Bishop said Rev Walker found that ring, not Joseph Walker. When she said how much it was worth, he said had second thoughts. He took the ring and turned it in and they took his information. A month later he got a letter from the family that owned the ring and they sent him a check with some money. They explained the history of the ring and how it was passed down and etc… That gave him a better feeling about turning the ring in. On another note, that ring could have had a serial number in it and a hidden camera and instead of preaching to us today, he could have been hemmed up somewhere. You have to be careful with the decisions with you make.
4. Be content with the estate God has given to you. Hebrews 13:5 says 5Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.- Stop trying to compete with others and wanting what they have. Be happy with what God gave you. We might not have but two pair of pants, but time we rotate our shirts out, people won’t know it. It will be like having 50 outfits. God allows us to go through sometimes as a test of our integrity. Philippians 4:11-13 says 11Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. 12I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.- If we are in the mountain or valley, we are good, because we have learned to be content. If we lost everything, we won’t resort to stealing. We can create meal with what we have. We will stack crackers with peanut butter, fry bologna, and do whatever it takes to make it. We have learned how to make it and we have learned the art of driving to with the gas light on. We can drive until we only have 75 cents worth of gas left. Tell someone you can make it! We can do all things through Christ that strengthens us!