Fullness of the Holy Spirit Part V
“How the Holy Spirit manifests himself”
Synopsis of Bible Study 7/28/10
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
The Holy Spirit strengthens us as believers. Like toys need batteries to function, we need a power source in order to function. Batteries often are included in the packaging. In this same way, when we got saved, a power source was included in the package. The ultimate aim of the Holy Spirit is so we have victorious lives. God wants us to have victory in every area of our lives.
A. God wants us to accomplish great things.
• Paul’s prayer is for us to be strengthened in the inner man. Ephesians 3:14-16 says 14For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 16That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; – Often we go through life depending on worldly things. Though those things may be important to us, there are things we go through that are more important.
• The Holy Spirit inside of us is refreshed and empowered every day. 2 Corinthians 4:16 says 16For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. – We get agitated and frustrated daily. The question is how do we get through this? Sometimes your mind and body is too tired for this. There is a power inside you to give you strength to accomplish great things. Whatever you put your hands to, the Holy Spirit will allow you to accomplish.
• How does this power work in your life? Things happen that trigger a response. The Holy Spirit intercepts the response and gives us a response that is consistent to God’s word. Ex-The Holy Ghost gives a reaction that is consistent to what God wants us to do. This confuses the enemy.
• Trouble will come. 2 Corinthians 4:8-9 says 8We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; 9Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; – The natural response is for us to be distressed about what is happening to us. The supernatural response is for us not to be distressed. Through the help of the Holy Spirit, your response has intercepted your response and as a result, you don’t look like you supposed to look according to world standards. You have just learned how to listen to the Holy Spirit. Only the Holy Spirit can do this.
B. The Holy Spirit helps us to win at spiritual warfare. • This thing called warfare is real. The Holy Spirit gives us the ability to fight against demonic forces. 2 Corinthians 10:3-4 says 3For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: 4(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) – Strongholds are also referred to as fortresses. The devil puts up fortresses or camps with the intent on staying. The devil just came into your life and brought luggage. Satan will protect this fortress at any cost. You need to understand that you can’t defeat this fortress in your own flesh. You will never out curse or out do the devil in your attempt to get even. Knowing this, we need to know that we need to take the warfare to another level. We must raise the level. Ex – On one occasion, a poisonous viper got loose on an airplane. The people in the first cabin noticed it and you can only imagine the chaos inside the plane. There was a poisonous snake on the plane and the passengers were afraid someone would get bit. Some people thought the pilots were going to turn the plane around, but the pilots kept on going up. Pretty soon, the passengers saw the snake uncoil and then a few moments later, they saw the snake stretch out. When they got to a certain altitude, the snake rolled over and died. The pilots realized that snakes couldn’t survive at a certain altitude. This is why they kept going up, instead of stopping the plane. Just like this, if you just raise your level, Satan and his helpers can’t survive. The reason you have snakes in your life is, because you are low down with them. Our weapons are mighty through God and not carnal. We have 66 rounds (book of the bible) that we can use, but we don’t know how to use it.
• We have to bring our thoughts into captivity. 2 Corinthians 10:5 says 5Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; – In other words the scripture is saying we are captive to the obedience of Christ. 90% of what we go through is in our head. The devil is making you think something is happening that really isn’t. Ex-The doctor calls you in to discuss something he or she found and you are already seeing your funeral. You see these images that Satan plants, but you have to learn to arrest them. You have to be like a police officer. Pull it over and take it in, because it has broken the law. By that we mean if it doesn’t line up with what the word says. We don’t put our thoughts on parole; we give them a life sentence. This is why our thoughts keep coming back up. We keep putting it on parole. Every thought, cast it down. There are things you just think, that don’t make sense. Ex- Often we say people don’t like us, because we think they are looking at us. This is in our mind. Most of the time, they are not even aware of us.
C. The Holy Spirit helps us to cope with burdens.• People came here with some heavy stuff. They are reading this, because they want answers. The problem is, we think we can handle our problems on our own. Listen to what Jesus says, “Come unto to me all who are heaven laden and I will give you rest” The Holy Spirit bears these heavy burdens for us.
• We have got the Holy Spirit to abide and dwell with us forever. John 14:16 says 16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
• We must commune with the Holy Spirit. 2 Corinthians 13:14 says 14The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen. – Paul said let this be a communion, a constant engagement with the Holy Spirit. Ex – There was a man that went into the hospital to lose weight. He had gotten down to 300 pounds, but he still wasn’t where he wanted to be. This small nurse came in to take him for a walk and she didn’t even weigh 100 pounds. This man wasn’t sure that she could hold him up. The small nurse told him to just lean on her, but the man still wasn’t sure. Finally the nurse told him that she has been doing this for a long time and had never dropped anyone. In like manner, God has been at this for a long time and has never dropped one person. He has never let anyone down.
D. He gives us the power to overcome sin.
• The reality is, the Holy Spirit inside of us is the only way we can overcome sin. Galatians 5:16 says 16But I say,(A) walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify(B) the desires of the flesh. – The keyword here is desires. The church doesn’t want to deal with this. Ex- This guy on one occasion asked his Pastor to take away his desire to lust after women. The Pastor responded to him by saying, “I will pray, but when you get married, do you want me to pray that you get the desire back?” There is nothing wrong with the desire, but there is something wrong with what you do with that desire. The Holy Spirit says it will overcome that desire, but we have to let him take over.
The only way we can overcome sin is through the Holy Spirit. Lots of people become dogmatic as they look at sin. Ex – People older look at people struggling with a sin and they forget that they once had problems with that same sin. They were not always saved. They forget they had a process to go though to get where they are today. It is the Holy Spirit that gives us the power to overcome our mess. Your flesh is in cahoots with the sin and will not try to avoid it. We need the Holy Spirit to help us overcome this.
E. The Holy Spirit teaches us how to evangelize the lost.
• We must reproduce. Acts 1:8 says 8But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.- What is a witness? It is one that testifies to what they have seen and heard. When Jesus worked his ministry, he was reproducing himself. He took ordinary men and made them extraordinary. He reproduced himself.
John 14:12 says 12Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. – The disciples ultimately became Apostles. When they got to Antioch, they were first called Christian’s, because they looked like Jesus. As Christians, we are supposed to be like Christ. If we are not a full duplication of him, what does that make us? It is important to understand it is about duplication. In the book of Acts when 3000 souls were added to the church, this was about duplication. Ex – How many people reading this remember that before they were saved, they invited people to do things before that they wouldn’t invite them to do today? What changed? With the same energy and passion that you had to tell people to do things that didn’t add value to their lives, the Holy Spirit gives you the same energy and passion to tell people to do the things that will add value to their lives.
• If our churches were more spirit filled, we would not have these ego problems in our church. Ex- We talk about church now days like they are gangs. For example one may say, “I go to Mt Zion” or “I am down with Lake Providence” or “I roll with Temple”. We forget that we are on the same team. We act like there is something wrong with going to a big church or a small church. Do the math. There is over a million people living in Nashville so to speak. At least 25,000 of them don’t go to anybody’s church. The point is there is enough unsaved people in Nashville alone for all churches big and small to be busting out at the seams.
F. Holy Spirit establishes proper relationships.
• As you look around, there is dysfunction around this area in the church when it comes to relationships. Ex- Bishop Walker explained how he and the First Lady Stephanie had been watching TV and they were amazed at the amount of shows that were reality TV shows. What is more amazing is at the chore of most of these we were dysfunction of relationships. Bishop says he saw one show where two people were dating and each of them gave the other person permission to date someone else outside the relationship and bring them home with them. Now two guys lived to there and each brought one in their house to stay. In this generation, this is what our young people see every day. The world presents them this dysfunction and this becomes a reality to them and then they come to church and see our dysfunction and the dysfunction of the church. This makes them not know what to do. Like the reality shows, we are trying to make relationships work without the Holy Spirit.
• Ephesians 5:22 says 22Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. 6:9 says 9And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him. – These relationships are only possible by the help of the Holy Spirit. Only the Holy Spirit will make a woman submit to her husband. If he is following the leadership of God, the man is the head of the household. Husband, you have to love your wife in such a way that if you roll over in your sleep, you it should seep out of you how much you love her. This makes the wife not mind submitting. Children, you don’t pay for nothing. You eat and sleep for free. Behave with your bad self! If you rise up against your parents, they will rise up against you! Employees, do your job with integrity and respect. Don’t ask people to clock in for you. Employers treat your employee to with dignity and respect not slaves. They add value to your company. This can only be achieved with the Holy Spirit. Scarcely if the righteous is saved, where will the ungodly be. God can barley love us with the Holy Spirit, so how can we imagine doing anything without the Holy Spirit.
G. To maintain hope-the devil is after your hope.
• The Holy Spirit is what keeps our hope alive. Romans 15:13 says 13Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.- Faith is by product of the word. Faith says it is possible and hope says we will hope until it comes to pass. The devil is at our hope hoping that he can stop it from coming to pass so that we will turn on ourselves. The Holy Spirit brings us hope back to remembrance when we find ourselves in a hopeless state.
H. Holy Spirit wants us to serve God.
• Serving God is the ability to do God’s will. Ephesians 3:20 says 20Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, – There are a lot that we can do with our own mind and training. In other words, we have a skill set. We can lawyer, dentist, teach and etc … By ourselves, based on our skill set, we start putting out projections. When you say or start saying to God, “Thank you for giving me this skill set”, then you open yourselves up to the process of the Lord doing things through you. Ex- Bishop explains that when he first became Pastor, Mt Zion had a project called “Project 2000”. Bishop explained that we were going to build a church across the street from our original Jefferson St location. It was going to be 3 million dollar project. Everyone had been hired from the person who drew the blueprints, to the builders. Bishop asked the Holy Spirit to breathe on this project and the next thing you know, the church growth exploded. This is how Mt Zion came to be where it is today. People often ask Bishop, “Did you know Mt Zion was going to be this big?” The answer is no! That would have blown his mind.
I. The Holy Spirit wants us to praise God.
• The Holy Spirit empowers us to praise God. Ephesians 5:18-19 says 18And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; 19Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; -Praise serves a 3 fold purpose. It is to build us up, to encourage those around us, and to trigger something in the supernatural. Sometimes you find yourself in contexts that rob you of your strength and determination. These are pretty negative contexts to be in. Now to praise God means you have to will yourself to that place. The truth is sometimes you just don’t feel like praising God. Sometimes you have a week where things have gotten so bad, you just want to be mad. The Holy Spirit wills you out of that to a place of praise. Your praise has to encourage others like it is found in Acts. Ex – Acts 16:25 says 25And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them. – When Paul and Silas praised God, the people in the same situation heard them praising God. Their praise was at such a level, people in the same context were able to see the goodness of God. When you praise like this, you are saying that you speak of the goodness of God no matter what your situation looks like. You are saying you are willing to will yourself to a place where you are praising God not just for you, but for someone else.
Acts 16:26 says 26And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one’s bands were loosed.-Some people get upset when people are standing up praising God all through church. They wonder if that person will ever sit down. They don’t understand that their praise can set blessings up for everything around them. Our praise can set everything around us free. Our praise is not some emotional reaction. This praise is rooted in what we know about God. This praise is rooted into the revelation into what we are believing God for. The Holy Spirit is bringing word back to us and telling us that we got to keep holding on and trusting God. No matter what our situation looks like, we will try and will ourselves and praise his name any how. When we praise we do so to build ourselves up, encourage others, and trigger something in heaven. We will ourselves to a better place!