When God moves the hedge Part IV
Synopsis of Sermon 07/25/10
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Anchor Text: Job 42:10; 12 says 10And the LORD turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before. 12So the LORD blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning: for he had fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she asses.
All month we have been studying about Job in this series when God moves he hedge. We have learned from his discernment and motivated by his accomplishments. In Job 42, we see the true testimony of Job’s life. Job had his life all planned out and out of nowhere God moved the hedge and all hell broke out in his life. Many of us have the same story. Things started out pretty rough for us, but the truth is, when life starts out like this, you wonder if life is even salvageable. You need know that no matter how it looks on the front end, it’s going to look better on the back end. Chapter 42 of Job is a sermon in and of itself. There is a chapter 42 in all of our lives. You might be in chapter 1 right now, but if you can just make it to chapter 42, God’s going to make everything you went through make sense to you. Know that for every tear you cry, God will make it make sense when you get to your chapter 42. God will not let the devil have the last word. Many times we thought it was over and God stepped in and let everyone know he was still in control. We need to understand that after every story is a manifestation of glory. This is why we can’t hate on people who are blessed. You don’t know what they went through before they got there. God is about to do something in your life that is going to blow everyone’s mind. For God to trust you to go through what you did, he must have something on the other side of your trail. Give God the glory for the storm, because you can see the end approaching!
There is a process which we must follow in order to experience the full manifestation of the blessings of the Lord. Note: You need to spend time reading the whole book of Job to really appreciate this revelation. A lot of this lesson deals with Job’s inter and intra-personal issues that you might not be privy to.
I. Repentance of Job
Job 42:1-6 says 1Then Job answered the LORD, and said, 2I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee. 3Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not. 4Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. 5I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. 6Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.
- In verse 1-6, Job has dialogue with God. There were some things that Job knew he should have done, that he did not do. Job said he was talking about stuff he did not understand. Job also said there was some thing he knew about God before, but he see could see them clearer now. Job also realized in these verses that he allowed himself to drift away. No matter how deep or how holy we think we are, we have allowed circumstances make us drift away from where we should be in God. Our body is here, but mind is on other side of town. Somebody knows what it is like to drift from God.
- When we find ourselves drifting from God:
- We allow ourselves to be anxious – We wonder if our situation is ever going to turn around. The bible says be anxious for nothing, but we can’t help but to worry if our situation is ever going to turn around.
- We have to be honest – We have had angry moments. We are holy, but we still get angry. It is hard not being angry
- We have to come to a point of acknowledgement – This means we own where we are. We are at a point where we need to reconnect with God. Job’s faithfulness got God’s attention, but Job is now ready to go to another level in his relationship with God. Just like Job, we should be striving for greater devotion. You need to know that there is another level where we can be committed greater to God. On this level, we got off course in our purpose, but we decided to re-commit and repent. We repent for not coming to church, praying, and studying God’s word like we once did. We want to get back on course. Anybody want to reconnect with God? It is never too late to reconnect with God.
- When we come to our Chapter 42 season and we decide to get relationships right, the first one has to be with God.
- Next we need to get the relationships around us straight.
II. Rebuke of Jobs friends
Job 42:7-8 says 7And it was so, that after the LORD had spoken these words unto Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath. 8Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you after your folly, in that ye have not spoken of me the thing which is right, like my servant Job.
- It was Job’s friends that decided to give Job advice. Be careful who you listen to in this season.
- Job’s friends have been operating in disobedience, speaking where God didn’t command them speak. There are a lot of people that mean well, but not in line with what God told them to say. Lots of folk are prophelying to us and into our life as well. Ex- Sometimes when you show up and a person is in an acute crisis (happening right now), the best thing is to show up and be quiet. Don’t try to reconcile it on the spot. Sometimes you can cause more damage when you open your mouth without God’s permission.
- God disciplined them. God disciplined Job’s friends for speaking bad things to him about his situation and speaking bad things about what God was doing in Job’s life, but how did he discipline them?
- Job’s friends were part of his problem.
- God says let God speak to your problem. – God spoke to Job’s friends. Job didn’t have to. You got enough to deal with, without having all these crazy folk speaking stuff to you that isn’t right. Let God speak to your problem. God can handle it much better than we can.
- The problem must sacrifice in your presence- God will make people that thought something was wrong with you, make a sacrifice in your presence. God told Job’s friends to offer a sacrifice up in Job’s presence. Your blessing is connected to and tied to where Job is.
- Their survival is in your prayers – They offered on offering it up, but God is not hearing them. God is only hearing Job. Remember the prayers of the righteous avails much in heaven. Be careful how you treat folk. Sometimes your survival is hinged on their prayers. Many of us can’t be blessed because we try to handle things on our own.
- Letting God handle your problems is the whole point of this second point. Our problem is above our friend’s ability to understand.
III. Restoration of Job
Job 42:9-10 says 9So Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went, and did according as the LORD commanded them: the LORD also accepted Job. 10And the LORD turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before.
- God is a restorer. The only one that appreciates this to the fullest is the ones that lost stuff. God is a restorer. There is nothing the enemy can do that God can’t restore.
- You have to be delivered from the stuff in you, before God can get stuff to you. Before restoration, there has to be a release. Job is already reconciled spiritually. Socially he is reconciled with God. Nobody wants to deal with the psychology of Job. If you mess with the physiological, sociology, or the psychology of someone, then your theology can be messed up. Imagine the impact of what Job went through and look at what we go through. Though you prayed about it, there is still some stuff in you left from what happened to you. Ex-When we got through stuff and we say, “I have moved on” yet we say “, but they going to get theirs!”, then we have not Got over it. God is trying to get something to us, but first he’s got to get some stuff out of us. You have to lay aside every sin and every weight that so easily besets you. Forget those things that are behind us and press towards the mark of the high calling. We got to get to a place where we release some stuff. It is tainting your spirituality. You got to come to place where Job did.
- In verse 10, God changed his circumstance. Job 42: 10 says 10And the LORD turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before. – It is the point when you can forgive them that the Lord will step in. Release it! What is in store for you greater than what they did to you! It was when Job prayed, that God gave him, twice as much as he had before. If you can hold on and see what the end is going to be, God has double for your trouble. It might have started out one way, but God says he is about to release an anointing of double over your life. When you release what has hurt you, everything you touch, will be double. He will restore what the locust has eaten up in your life. What is ahead is better than what been. God says since the double is coming, you got walk in double; give in double, because if you thought our first praise was something, you ought to see our double praise.
- God said tell you Job’s life was nothing but simple arithmetic.
- Job started out as a bless man which makes, because if you seek his kingdom first and his righteousness, God will add all things unto you. This is addition.
- God allowed the devil to come in and he took. This is subtraction. Job said even though the Lord gave (addition) and the Lord taketh away (that subtraction) I will still bless the name of the Lord. We have been through addition and subtraction. That was just a set up for multiplication.
- God is about to multiply everything we have been through! This is why we ought to open up our mouth and give God glory for everything we went through. God is about to multiply! It is going to end better than it started.