Fullness of the Holy Spirit II
Bible Study 06/23/10
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
1 Corinthians 4:20 says 20For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power – To understand fully this you have to tear this scripture apart. The kingdom means God’s way of doing things. God’s way of doing things is not in word only. It is in power too. This sounds like a contradiction, because when God created the world, he spoke it and it was done. He set things in motion by the word. Remember in the beginning the Spirit of the Lord moved upon the face of the water. John the Baptist was sent to announce the coming of Jesus Christ. In the wilderness he cried out, “Repent because the Kingdom of God is at hand.” When Jesus comes, he makes a declaration about his purpose. When he talks about what he is going to do in Luke 4:18, he says 18The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, – In other words Jesus explains that the Spirit of the Lord was upon him and had anointed him to do what he was about to do. On another occasion, Jesus says, “When you pray, pray our Father who art in heaven… let your will be done as it is in heaven … let your kingdom come, thou will be done in earth as it is in heaven. “ It is all about the kingdom. The kingdom of God suffers violence, but the violent taketh by force.
Now just to clarify things, the concept of the Kingdom of God is not found in the word. It is found in power. This says to us, the Kingdom of God (God’s way of doing things) is not just in word. You come to church and operate in a relationship with Jesus Christ. The fact that there are two kingdoms is indicated in the life of Jesus Christ. Jesus says his kingdom is not of this world. So when we enter a relationship with Jesus Christ, we change citizenship. We live under Kingdom principles. The Kingdom of God contradicts the Kingdom of Darkness. The kingdom we are in is not in word only, it is in power. Many come in and get a word, and they gain faith, because conceptually they understand the word. We believe that what we heard is possible. Now we have the word, we have the key chains with spiritual slogans; we have the license plates, mugs, and etc… So as you can see, having the word is not our problem. The problem is after all that word; we keep making the same bone headed mistakes. You can come to church all day long and believe what you heard, but you don’t have victory over the shortcomings, because you don’t have power. The kingdom doesn’t operate on the word. It takes power to get to the Kingdom. Remember even the kingdom of darkness has the word. The devil will quote the word right back at you. This is why Jesus refuted the devil with word in the garden. It is clear, since Satan kept using the word to tempt Jesus; the kingdom of darkness has the word too. The missing element is they don’t have power.
I. How do we move from this to actually attaining the victory?
- We have to decrease so he can increase so that we might have the power to overcome what is trying to trip us up. How many of you believe that God wants our best? Lots of times we rationalize things by saying none of us are perfect which is true, but God desires us to live an abundant life. John 10:10 says 10The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.- The thief is going to come, but Jesus came that we might have life more abundantly (the God kind of life). Jesus came that we might have victory over what the enemy is trying to do. Jesus came that we might not become permanent victims. Jesus came that we might be able to fulfill the promises in his word.
- The truth is God doesn’t want our best. This might be a shocker to most of you. Let’s think about it on another dimension. Maybe God wants you to have faith in his best. Your best is limited at best. You don’t know the potential you have inside of you so when you. This is evident, because when you reach your threshold, you say you are at your best, but God pushes you to give more, because he knows your real best. You didn’t even realize that you had this inside you until God pushed you. The truth is God wants you to have faith at his best (his standard), because your best is subjective. Ex-As a parent you go to child’s room after you told them to clean it and you see that stuff is not right. He/she says they did their best, but you make them do it over again. The reason for this is their best is not defined by the child, it is defined by the parent. Go to your school professor and turn in your paper while saying you did your best and your professor may say it doesn’t reach their expectation for you. As a result, you do better the next time, because you got a B on what you thought was your best. You do better. Until you can believe that you can conquer a thing or until you have faith to believe it possible or until you are challenged, you will not give your best. If you don’t have faith to do better, you will simply say it is your best. It is this easy to fall off your best if you don’t live in the spirit. It is easy to say that the Lord knows your heart which again is true, but this is why God left someone inside you to help you do what you can’t do.
- Positive side – Romans 8:4 says 4That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.-The righteousness of God cannot be lived out in your flesh. God’s standard is not possible in our flesh. It is only possible in the spirit.
- Negative side – Romans 8:13 says 13For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. – The spirit will put to death the deeds of the body. The Holy Spirit will put to death the deeds, because your body will conspire and conjure up things your flesh wants to do. The Holy Spirit will say, “You ain’t going to do that!” You need someone to say that you are not going to do that and the Holy Spirit is the only one that you will listen too.
II. The Person of the Holy Spirit (his personality)
- Being the least understood of the God head, a lot of people deny the very presence of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit occurs 89 times in the New Testament. This doesn’t even include the times when the New Testament refers to him as “Spirit”. There are others times he is referred to has the Spirit of the Lord (i.e. … the Spirit of the Lord is upon me).
- His Attributes:
- He has Intellect – He is intelligent. He has a mind. He thinks, he searches, and he teaches. 1 Corinthians 2:10-13 says 10But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. 11For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.12Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. 13Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. – We have to see how the Spirit of God is at work in our life. The Spirit of God searches all things. He knows the deep things of God. Even when we pray, the Holy Spirit is able to give us revelation about the deeper things of God. He knows what God is up to.
- He has emotions – Ephesians 4:30 says 30And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. – How do we grieve the Holy Spirit? He is inside you ready to assist you and ready to help you get the victory and you keep ignoring. You conceptually understand the word you got, you believe it is possible, and you ignore the Holy Spirit and his ability to help you do what you need to do and as a result, he is aggrieved. When you put something crazy in your body, you grieve the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit wonders why he has to coexist with your foolishness. When you curse somebody out, it grieves him, because he could have helped you with it. Can you imagine that the Holy Spirit is grieving over your ignoring him?
- He has a will – 1 Corinthians 12:11 says 11But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.- He distributes gifts according to his own will.
III. 8 things the Holy Spirit does
- He teaches– John 14:26 says 26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. – First, Comforter used in this scripture also means advocate. The Holy Spirit will teach you all things. The Holy Spirit will speak to your Pastor and take everything you are dealing with and place it on your Pastor. This will inspire him to write a sermon just for your situation. It is clear this is the work of the Holy Spirit, because your Pastor doesn’t have time to interview each and every person in the church to make this happen. The Holy Spirit deposits our issues on the Pastor so that he or she may release a word to us. Every time your Pastor gets up to preach, you shouldn’t see him. Instead you should see the Holy Spirit speaking to you. Each of you can end up hearing the same sermon a different way. Everyone is hearing it where they are. It is like medicine to your bones. Your body has receptors for pain. When you take medicicine it goes to those receptors. This is how the medicine knows it is a headache rather than a foot ache. In like manner, the word we receive goes where we are hurting. This is why you should not look at folk strange when the word hits them and not you. You don’t know where they are hurting. You might also receive a word and think it is not for you, but a year later the Holy Spirit will bring this word back to your remembrance.
- He testifies and bears witness of himself. John 15:26 says 26But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: – He will always confirm that this is of Jesus. All week you will be talking about and issue, you come to church on Sunday, and the same issue you have been talking about will come out in the sermon. The Holy Spirit will confirm and testify of Jesus Christ. He verifies things and will bear witness God’s word.
- He guides or leads- Romans 8:14 says 14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. – All who are led by God are the sons of God. Every day when you wake up, the Holy Spirit is trying to tell you where to go. We are so stubborn; we want to go out on our own way. Every day the Holy Spirit is trying to tell us where to go. The spirit is saying just follow me. Ex- Bishop demonstrates how we react to the Holy Spirit trying to direct us. Bishop randomly asks a guy to get up and follow him. This guy is a husband, a grown man, has children, and a CEO of a company. Why is this guy following Bishop? It is because he respects Bishop’s spiritual authority and he submits. He has confidence in Bishop’s leadership. Everywhere Bishop goes, the man follows. This guy didn’t even question why Bishop wanted him to follow. He just jumped up and followed him. This makes us ask the question, why then do we question the Holy Spirit? Further in the demonstration, the guy is instructed to go his own way. Soon he goes far enough to lose sight of Bishop Walker. Just like this, people lose sight of the Holy Spirit by trying to go their own way. The Holy Spirit tries to tell us to follow and we want to go our own way. This is what your Pastor is doing every Sunday at our churches. He is trying to get us to follow the Holy Spirit. Get in line with Holy Spirit, because he is trying to guide you! Inside of you is this amazing navigational system (the Holy Spirit). Ex-It’s sort of like your GPS system. Once you put a destiny in, you can even get detracted if you want to. This system is so committed she will get on line and say rerouting if you make a wrong turn. She has factored in your foolishness. She just keeps on talking regardless to what you do. She will not turn off until you get to your destination. She will not stop talking until she is able to say that you have arrived at your destination. The next time you act a fool and hear the phrase rerouting or make a U-turn, think about that. This is the same dedication the Holy Spirit has to guiding you to your destiny.
- He performs miracles– When Phillip the Evangelist meets Ethiopian Eunuch, he came to him out of the water and the Spirit of the Lord snatched him away. The eunuch did not see him anymore. Acts 8:38-39 says 38And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.39And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.- Phillip got baptized or saved and was just snatched away. It was like a miracle. Miracles are often the work of the Holy Spirit. Many of us are objective people. This simple means we believe it is this way or that way. There is no gray area. Then there are subjective people that believe things can vary. When you look at how miracles happen, the doctor says you have this illness, by faith you come to a person of faith and say pray for me. You believe Gods word so you go through the act which is exercising the word. You also know there is power inside of you. You pray and you wonder how the tumor shrinked. It is t he power inside you that miraculously did the work that amazed the physicians. The same power that can remove a tumor can heal a mind. He is a miracle worker.
- He convinces. John 16:7-8 says 7Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: – Reprove means he will prove the world wrong. The world’s kingdom has its own idea about sin, judgment, and righteousness. Bishop states he is not fundamentalists which takes everything literal. He is not a liberalist either, which is someone that says anything goes. He classifies himself as being right in the middle. Sometimes it is amusing. There is a place between amusing and nausea. The world we live-in have to dilute sin. So it renames stuff to minimize it. They have to be politically correct. They dilute it so much; it doesn’t seem like sin anymore. You have to say it so it fits in a social construct so that it doesn’t offend anyone. They dilute it so much; it doesn’t seem like sin more. What the Holy Spirit does is convince the world what sin is. He will convince them of what rightness and judgment is. Only the Holy Spirit can speak to this wicked generation and convince them that they are wrong. You can go all day long arguing with someone about what is right or wrong or what the word says, but only when the Holy Spirit convinces them will they change. Some of us were stubborn, we were set in our ways and it was the Holy Spirit that convinced us to check ourself. It is hard to submit to the Spirit. You will create your own righteousness. This is what the world has done.
- He restrains.2 Thessalonians 2:6-7 says 6And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. 7For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. – Paul says there is a hidden power at work. If you let that power run, it will run all through your life. It is called iniquity. You have an authory in you that can restrain it. Every time Jesus showed up, he didn’t have to negotiate with demons. They automatically said when he showed up, “What do we have to do with thee?” This is why you can’t be a punk Christian. Even on the job. There comes a time that you have to walk in authority and say, “This house isn’t big enough for the both of us. You will not have my children, my destiny, or anything else. “You got to walk in the room and cause devils to go running! You don’t have to peep around corners! Walk in your authority. Ex-Bishop was somewhere and his hotel was by the French Quarter. Bishop decided to take a walk and the guy at the front desk told him that he needed to be careful. He says that they have witches, warlocks, and voodoo. Bishop responded to him, “No they need to be careful” Why does God’s people have to be careful? We need to walk in our authority.
- He commands and directs people Acts 8:29 says 29Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot. – There was a specific time that the Holy Spirit had revealed for Phillip to go over and talk to the eunuch. The Holy Spirit will release you at the right time. We are gifted and got vision, but you are too anxious. Exhibit A is this, you got the vision and you envisioned these people to help you, so you make calls. They tell you no. You automatically think since everyone said no, then you must have missed what God wanted you to do with the vision. The truth is you should have waited until the Holy Spirit released you. The Holy Spirit knows exactly when to tell you to go to somebody. You got to be released into the right season. When the Spirit of God sends someone to you, he is going to let you know that they are coming. Beware of people who come into your life telling you God told them to. Even UPS has the courtesy to tell you that you have a package on the way. The Holy Spirit will tip you off when God is sending something or someone your way. He might not tell you the whole thing, but he will tip you off.
- Intercedes in prayer. There are moments where we are in trauma. We are in acute pain, when life just hurts. Out of your belly there is nothing but pain and out of your mouth are fragments of disconnected emotions. There are things that just don’t make sense to anybody. In those moments of ugghhh…, because we know it doesn’t always come out as, “Father in the name of Jesus… “Romans 8:26 says 26Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. – The Spirit of God softens the blow of the pain. There is some stuff that we went through that we would have lost our mind, but he softened the blow. We don’t even know how to pray. He stands between earth and heaven and interprets for us. The Holy Spirit will take our tears, put it in a heaven beacon, and send it express to heavens laboratory. They will put it under a microscope and look at the tear and know the very cause of it. Then heaven will prescribe a word for you, package it up, and send it to your man of God (your Pastor). Out of your Pastor’s mouth will then come healing for your body. He will heal you right where you are hurting. Thank God for the Holy Ghost.