Fullness of the Holy Spirit Part I
“The Full Gospel”
Synopsis of Bible Study 06/16/10
Delivered by Bishop Walker
It is important to understand that God’s desire for us is not just to be saved and on our way to heaven. God’s desire for us is to have power, authority, and victory in the earth realm. Remember in John 10:10, Jesus says 10The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. – Life mentioned here is that God kind of life. God wants for us to have life and provisions for our needs. He wants us to walk around in the earth realm with authority.
Many of us grew up hearing about Jesus dying on the cross. There was more to this story. When Jesus died on the cross, he got up with something. It was power and it was made available for us believers. Just to lay some ground work for this teaching, we want you to understand that when we talk about the fullness of the Holy Spirit, we are saying less of us and more of him. Many of us never tap into this fullness during salvation and we minimize the power of the Holy Spirit to some emotional reaction. When we see people reacting with emotionalism, we think that they are really full of the Holy Spirit. The truth is it might be a spirit, but it might not the Holy Spirit. Today we are assigned to help you understand that God desires for us to live spirit filled lives and he wants us to be filled with his sprit.
We are a Full Gospel Church (Mt Zion) and we believe in the fullness of the Spirit. As members of the Full Gospel and we embrace certain distinctives.
Full Gospel Distinctive
- We believe the Full Gospel includes the proclamation of both eternal power of Calvary and the potential power of Pentecost. We know that if it wasn’t for the cross, we wouldn’t be here today (speaking of Calvary). At the same time we recognize that something happened on the day of Pentecost. We further believe that what happened at Pentecost must be applied to our lives today.
- We believe in the baptizing power of Jesus Christ for salvation because of Calvary.
- We believe in filling and controlling power of the Holy Ghost for service and Holy and victorious living. We believe that we are filled to live victoriously. We are filled to live in service to him who has brought us out of darkness. We can’t fulfill our assignment in our flesh. We must do this in the spirit of God.
- Many of us say we are saved and on our way to glory. What good does it do to be saved and yet we allow the devil to run in out of our house? What good does it do to be saved and you turn around and depend on somebody to do what God equipped you to do for yourself? One thing Jesus came to do is deliver us from religion and into relationship. Religion will always embrace co-dependency on the Priest. Religion in the old days was dependant on the priest. The people were bringing their sacrifices to the Priest so that the Priest could offer up repentance for them. They could not ask for forgiveness for themselves. Only the priest could go behind the veil of the temple. After Jesus died, the veil ripped and we all gained access to God. We don’t need anyone to do for us what we can for ourselves.
- Jesus came to deliver us from religion. In other words we were relieved from the codependency on the Priest. Many of us think we can pray over our house or over ourselves. We think we can’t get a break thorough unless the Pastor does it. After the veil was ripped into, we have the same power that Jesus made available to us after his resurrection. Jesus said in John 14 that greater works than he will we do. So if we cannot get to our Pastor, Elder, or prayer partner, we can lay hands on our self. We can cast demons out of our own house, because we have this reservoir of power inside of us. Inside you resides the power of the Holy Spirit, which was given to us at salvation. When you got saved, you got a package deal (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost). Some people say we must tarry for the Holy Ghost, because of the book of Acts. This is a misconception, because the book of Acts is not a theology book. It is a historical book. It is simply the actions of the early church. In John 14, Jesus tells the disciples he will not leave us comfortless, but he will send a comforter who will come. In Acts 1:8, he turns to the same disciples and tells them to go to the upper room to wait or tarry for the Holy Ghost who would come that they would have power. He tells them that they would then be his witnesses in Judea and Jerusalem. Then 50 days later (50 is the number of Pentecost) on the day Pentecost in Acts 2:1, the bible says 1And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. – The Holy Spirit had come for the first time as promised in John 14. The Holy Spirit had not come until Acts chapter 2. They were waiting in Acts 1:8 for what was promised in John 14. Now that he has already come, we don’t have to wait for him, because he is already here. Where is he? The Holy Ghost dwells inside of us. Just because we don’t acknowledge his presence, does not mean he doesn’t dwell in us. The fullness of the Spirit says the only way for us to acknowledge his presence is by getting ourselves out of the way. This is why we have to say less of us and more of him. In other words, we have to get out of the way to experience him. With us out of the way, the Holy Ghost comes in and takes control. The reason you are not full of the Holy Spirit is because you are too full of yourself.
- Ephesians 5:18 says 18And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; – Paul says there is a similarity in the way one responds to alcohol and how one responds to the spirit. When you used to get tow up (from alcohol), the only way the liquor would have complete control is when your flesh quits fighting. Before you were saved, your flesh did not resist the alcohol. When you got filled with the alcohol, it took control of your mouth, mind, vision, talk, and your walk. It wasn’t you talking anymore. It was the Jack Daniels. When you are filled with wine everyone knows it. A drunken man can’t hide the fact that he is drunk. Your speech will give you away. You laugh at stuff that isn’t funny. You are under the influence at this point. Now imagine if you let the Holy Ghost have that kind of control over your life. It wouldn’t be you preaching, or teaching, or walking. or talking. It would be the Holy Ghost, because you would be under the influence of him. The hardest problem we have being filled with the Holy Spirit is we don’t want to let go of us. Our ego is easing God out. Our mind is so strong. Until you mind submits to the spirit, it won’t take control over you. Every day we have to say that we decrease. Take out everything that is blocking the Holy Spirit from working in us.
The Great Commission
- Matthew 28:18 says 18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. – Power comes from 2 words. It comes from the Greek words 1411. dunamis doo’-nam-is and 1849. exousia ex-oo-see’-ah. Exousia is the authority to do the thing and dunamis is the power to back it up. Ex-The police pull you over and this represents exousia (the authority). If you act a fool, they have their gun to back them up (example of dunamis).
- Matthew 28:19-20 says 19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.-Jesus wasn’t just taking the disciples on a field trip. They were in training. This was a didactic journey. Jesus wanted the Disciples to teach others what he taught them (The turning of the other cheek and everything).
- In the Matthew 28:20c Jesus says, and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”Jesus says all power in heaven and earth is given to him (Dunamis). Jesus reminds them that he would be with them even until the end of earth.
- We believe in the ongoing perpetual and continuous ecclesiastical (church) values of spiritual gifts. In other words we believe that spiritual gifts operate within the body of Christ for the edification of the Body of Christ, until Jesus comes back. We believe that there ought to be a manifestations flowing in the body of Christ. We believe that everything that God said would be available to us as a believer should be seen manifest in the house.
- Ephesians 4:11-13 says 11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ13Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: -: This suggests that every gift is for the edifying and the maturing of the Saints for the work of Ministry. They cannot be apart from the Holy Spirit. You cannot prophesy without being filled with the Holy Spirit. If you are prophesying without the Holy Spirit, there can be too much of you in there. This makes it hard for us to tell if you are proph-a-lying.
- Read 1cor 12-14 (in your spare time)
- Chapter 12- Paul talks about how we function as the body of Christ. He also talks about how spiritual gifts are distributed.
- Chapter 13- Talks about love. It takes the Holy Ghost to love. Without it, you sound like noise. It takes the Holy Ghost to love some people.
- Chapter 14-Talks about the gifts were operating in order. 1 Corinthians 14:40 says 40Let all things be done decently and in order. – Many may have been in churches and seen people operate in gifts, but it wasn’t done in order. God makes sure the gifts flow in a special order. He won’t let a gift flow out of order. Ex-The Holy Spirit will never let your Pastor preach and you get so emotional, you over shadow the word so that someone else can’t get a breakthrough. God won’t let you roll under a pew while you are in the Spirit and allow you to break your ankle. That is just out of order. This disorder, disillusions people. People see these weird manifestations of the Holy Spirit (out of order) and they become afraid of them. This is why they never tap into his power.
- We believe in the divine personhood of the Holy Spirit. He is a person. Never refer to the Holy Spirit as an “it”. He is a personality.
- We believe in his present day Ministry to the believers including the sovereign distribution of spiritual gifts. We believe God can give his gifts to whomever he wants. You can’t get mad a person if he gave God a gift to one person and you.
- 1 Corinthians 12:7 says 7But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. – The manifestation of the Holy Spirit was given to prophet beyond us. God didn’t give Bishop a preaching and pastoring gift to hold on to it for himself. The blessings that God blesses you with are bigger than you. When you realize this, you won’t take the attacks so personally. It is to bless others. The devil isn’t after you. He is after who is listening to you.
- 1 Corinthians 12:8-11 says 8For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.- All of these gifts were given by the same Spirit, to work together in unison.
- There are some revelations we get and come and we say they are good. There are others that stay with us all week long. Inside of you is an amazing reservoir of power. Just because you don’t experience HIM, doesn’t mean that he is not there. You see so much manufacturing of the Holy Spirit; it is hard to tell what is real. Inside you are a marvelous authority and revelation given to you at the time of Salvation. We can’t tap into it, until we move out of the way. He is there and from time to time, he reminds you that he there. You attribute it to some cognitive attribute. When you go someone where you know it doesn’t feel right, that is the Holy Spirit. When a job opportunity opens up and a voice speaks to you about taking or not taking the job, that was the Holy Spirit talking to you. When we say something is telling not to do this or that that was the Holy Spirit. What is so fascinating about the Holy Spirit is our body is temple of the Holy Ghost. If the Holy Spirit dwells in your temple, why do you have some doors in your temple locked? You won’t let him under the bed or in the closet. There are certain parts you won’t let him in, because you don’t want to let go of your control. You have to learn like it says in Proverbs 3:5-6, 5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. – He is in you and he bears witness. This is how he works.
- Because he is in you, let’s go back to Matthew 28:18-20 where it says 18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen. – He says all power is given and then he says go and teach them, but remember that I am with you wherever you go. When you roll over in your carnality and dry yourself off, this is the Holy Spirit saying “Are you ready to go yet?” When you come off your high and feel guilty, that is him. Your flesh is not going to argue about what you do. Your flesh is like, “that is fun!” You flesh won’t try to talk you out of it. It is him that dwells within you that tries to talk you out of it. The Lord says you need some help walking in integrity and the next time your issue invites you over, ask them what time do you want us to come. We are part of a package deal. People that are carnal will never understand us. Greater is he that is within us than he who lives within the world. That is what is going to wake you up at two in the morning. The next text you get, say “We can’t make it.” He walks with us and talks with us and tells us that we are his own.