Just to be close to you
Synopsis of sermon 06/13/10
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Having an authentic relationship is to try and grow closer together although most of the time, we do just the opposite. In relationships, we often grow further away from each other. In the text today, David desired to get closer to God. When you desire to get close to God, you decide to focus on him, rather than things around you. Our experiences have pushed us into wanting to get closer to God. Because of what we’ve gone through, we pray more, we go to church more, we read about him more, and etc… Whatever has happened to us has made us realize that we needed to be closer to God. Know that it takes more than just coming to church. Paul said on Mars Hill that you can’t dwell in a temple made by man’s hands. You can have church anywhere. We can think ourselves happy, just thinking of all God has done for us. Somebody reading this came with a desire to be closer to God. You really desire an intimate relationship with God. You are tired of playing games. Some people desire so much to get closer to God, they can see and hear more than ever before. Your desire is not to miss God.
Text: Psalm 27:4: 4One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.
I. Right Priorities
One thing that I have desired … (Psalm 27:4a).
- We must make it clear what our desire is. Mark 6:33: 33And the people saw them departing, and many knew him, and ran afoot thither out of all cities, and outwent them, and came together unto him.- Desire: a feeling that accompanies a unsatisfied state. – When you become unsatisfied with the things in your life, then you begin to desire more. You begin to see that relationships, drugs, and alcohol have left you empty. Now your desire for God has become greater.
- What are you longing for? An authentic relationship with God. We have become determined to find the Lord. When a child of God’s mind is made up, you will:
- Seek – When you look for something, you will change direction. You will devalue everyone and everything around you. What you are looking for becomes more valuable. There are many things we place greater value on than God. It is not until our back is against the wall that we seek God.
- Sacrifice-Suggests we will remove everything that keeps us from his presence. Hebrews 12:1-2: 1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. – Because of all we have gone though, we find ourselves pursuing God.
- Steadfast – We are at a point where we refuse to be uprooted simply because people don’t like us. For many of us, if we are a member of a church 15 yrs, we are doing well. Our grandparents stayed at churches they belonged to for 30yrs or longer. Once they were rooted in a place, they very seldom left. Now we are constantly seeking to get a relevant word.
II. Reside in his presence
- David’s desires are so big for God, because he knew he could not get his desires fulfilled anywhere else. On one hand, he talks about dwelling in the physical temple. David says he loves the church, being around the saints, and etc… The truth is, there has to be something in us that just loves the church. When we were in the world there were certain things that we just loved. Bishop explains that he still has frat brothers that walk around with their gold boots. There are some people that just love the mall and some others that love the clubs. They can’t explain it, but they just love it. It is a apart of who they are. Church going ought to be the same for us. We don’t know why we love it so much. We just do! It is a part of us.
- 7 reasons why come to church
- It is an act of obedience to God Hebrews 10:24-25 says 24And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: 25Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.-It is a command of God. Exodus 20:8 says 8Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. -God establish with the intent of us fellowshipping.
- It is an expression of our love for God. It shows people publically that we love God. If you love someone in the world, you are at their house all night long. God just needs a couple hours from us. Psalm 22:22 says 22I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
- Builds me up spiritually– Jeremiah 3:15 says 15And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding. – You have to come to the restaurant to get the meal.
- Brings a special visitation of God’s presence. Psalm 22:3says 3But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.-God inhabits our praises. Everything in heaven gives God glory, so why shouldn’t we? Matthew 18:20 says 20For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. – We need God’s presence.
- Provides fellowship with other Christians. You can’t be island to yourself. You need people. The devil uses your isolation to intimidate you. Psalm 133:2 says 2It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron’s beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments; 1 John 1:7 says 7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
- Provides accountability to spiritual leadership. He is not looking at you, trying to figure your spirit. Hebrews 13:17 says 17Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you. – It is so important that you are accountability.
- Combines our spiritual strength in prayer. We need each other’s prayers. Matthew 18:19 says 19Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. – You got to be around other people that can be prayer warriors with you. Leviticus 26:8 says 8And five of you shall chase an hundred, and an hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight: and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword. – 5 of us can chase five hundred enemies.
- We love his presence. We want to get so used to God’s presence; we realize God is not interested in a one night stand with us.
- When it comes to coming to church, where do you fall on this list?
- Are you coerced? Coercion basically is saying, “Because you made me.” Ex- When you were made to go to church when you were younger, you rebelled when you first got independent.
- Are you Consequential? – We fear what will happen if we don’t. – Know that God doesn’t have feared based relationships
- Are you Casual – You come only when you feel like it. What do you do when you don’t feel like is the problem. There are going to be some days that you don’t feel like it.
- Are you committed – I want to want to go. – We are at a point when the job has us traveling and we actually have withdrawals from not going to church. If you don’t have this kind of passion, you ought to ask the Lord to put it in us. This way, we will want to be there. How can you love the Lord like you say you do and miss hearing the word missing and miss seeing the saints? We have to get to a place that no matter what, no gas, no money, no car; we have that desire to make it into the house of the Lord.
III. Righteous perspective
…behold the beauty of the Lords Psalm 27:4c
- Once perspective changes everything around me changes. When we get a revelation from God, we know that nothing happens that God can’t fix. If it is crooked, God will straighten it. If it is broke, God will fix it.
- Beauty is in God’s:
- Providence – The devil tries to keep you from God, so you will doubt he is still working. God has the power to turn a bad thing into a good thing and restore the yrs the locust ate up. When people look at us, they are looking at the power of God on display.
- Power – God’s power does for us, what we can’t do.
- Provides – God doesn’t say there you go. When he gets ready to bless, he gives it to you like a parent. We often wants God to bless us from afar. God doesn’t bless outside of proximity. God blesses you in his presence. If you don’t get it in his presence, you will forget about him. In his presence, you will be wrapped and tied up in him. You will know where your blessing comes from.
- Because we have gotten closer to God, we have seen and know things about him that we have never noticed before. Some people have just about given up, but God has got them! No matter how old you get, you remember that one person that gave you the blues. Ex-For Bishop, it was the Blues family. With this family, if you fought one of them, you had to fight them all. Bishop explained how one time, one member of this family crossed him the wrong way and the fight was on. They were in elementary school at this time and Bishop’s friend gassed him up to try to keep the intentions of fighting going. When the afternoon came, the Blue’s family was coming down the street. Bishop said he started talking stuff to them, because his friends had gassed him up so much, he believed he could win. They kept getting closer and closer and all of a sudden they turned and walked away. Bishop thought “Wow!” he had scared them away. All of a sudden, Bishop’s Dad patted him on the shoulder. It was because of Bishop’s Dad that they turned and walked away. You can swell up if you want to and think you are bad, but know that your Daddy above has your back. The times you think your enemies left you alone because of you was really a direct result of your Daddy!