He knew exactly where I was
Synopsis of Sermon 04/25/10
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Passage John 5:1-9 says 1After this there was a feast of the Jews; and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 2Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches. 3In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water. 4For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had. 5And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years. 6When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole? 7The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me. 8Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk. 9And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath.
All of us can agree, no matter your plight or situation, that God is keenly aware of what is going on in your life. Regardless of your fatigue or frustration, it is good to know that God has your circumstances on his radar. He is working behind the scenes to bring your deliverance to pass. Many of us think God has turned a deaf ear, because it is taking so long. Our problem is we don’t like to wait. We are an instant society. We want everything right now. We have instant everything now. Grandma would say is not worth having unless it is worth waiting on. We must realize that God will let us sit in a circumstance so long; it will push us to the peripheral of our faith. We find ourselves thinking that it seems like he would have come by now.
In the text, we are by a pool called Bethesda. There is a man that has been there 38 yrs. He is there with others that have come. Why is he there? Why have they gathered at Bethesda? Bethesda means house of mercy. It is a place that has 5 porches. People would come and wait at this pool called Bethesda, because the angels would come down in the certain seasons and trouble water. When the troubling of the water occurred, the first one in the pool at that time would be healed of their infirmities. You can imagine with all that was at stake there, it was like a dog fight there. No one there had any manners. It was like every man for himself. Here at this moment in the text, here was an impotent man in his circumstances that had been taken to this pool. He was hoping each day that this would be his moment for a breakthrough. He was disappointed, because every time, somebody beat him in getting into the pool. This story is a testimony for us to know that God knows exactly where where we are. Ask yourself where you were 38 yrs ago? What were you doing 38 yrs ago? Some people were not even born. Can you think back to what was happening 38yrs ago in 1972? To put it in a relevant context the first episode of “The Price is Right” aired. In the same yr the sitcom “Sanford and Son “aired. This gives you a better idea of how long this is. For most of us, we wouldn’t have given up long before 38rys.
We have to know that God is aware of where we are spiritually, emotionally, physically, and mentally. God says you will not leave here today in the same place you were when you first start reading this. God ordered your steps to tell you that he is going to rearrange your life completely. This will be the last you will be frustrated over this. Say good-bye to the pool. God is about to expand our situation into something greater.
The bible says the man with the condition was there 38 yrs. To understand his you have to first look at the context of the man’s conditions and frustrations.
I. The Context of the conditions and frustration
John 5:3: 3In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water.
- They were all waiting for the same thing to happen (a miracle or healing). There is something wrong with all of us. Don’t let the devil make you think you are the only one. The person sitting around you might think they have it together, but trust me; we are all at the house of mercy (meaning waiting on some kind of healing).
- God has our circumstances on his radar.
- The people waiting at the pool all have some kind of sickness:
- Desolation in producing – This is when you can’t seem to make things happen. The more you try, the more impotent you find out you are.
- b. Darkness in your perspective- The scripture says that some of the people were blind. With no vision people perish.
- Disable in progress– Some of the people at the pool could not walk. It took them longer to get there than other people. Just like these people that could not walk, there are some things in our life that we should have had done by now. The problem is there is a paralysis in us that was caused by our problems.
- Deterioration in private– The bible says they were withering. It means we can look good on outside, but inside we are suffering deterioration. These are people that feel like they are dying slowly because of what they have gone through. They wondered if it will ever stop.
- For experiences-Sometimes we have to be in our situation to learn about ourselves. Sometime you can stay in your situation so long, you allow bitterness step in. If you don’t celebrate other people’s breakthrough, you can hinder your own breakthrough. Know that every time a person steps out of the blessing line, we move up in that line. What is real friendship? It is being able to celebrate other peoples happiness whether it involves us or not
- To keep us from being enabled -In the text, people brought the impotent man to the pool for 38yrs. Somebody took it upon themselves to drop this man off every day for 38yrs. How many folk will you let enable you to stay in your rut? How many people will you allow to accommodate your issue?
- Expectation – You have to come to a place where you say that you are expecting something different. No longer will you depend on the system for your breakthrough.
- They were all depending on the pool to get them well. The pool represents the dream or hope of expectation. When you can’t count on the system, know that you can count on God. Your level of dependency is getting ready to shift. No longer will you put your destiny in the hands of people. Your destiny is going to shift to the hands of God.
- Why should God let us stay in our situation so long?
II. Crisis that can challenge your faith
John 5:4: 4For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.
- That thing you are about to go through, know that it is about your faith. When Jesus shows up, it is about your faith.
- It s hard being at the place, but not in the place. The man in the text wants to be in the pool, not at the pool.
- It doesn’t matter how many people are at the pool. 5And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years. 6When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole? – When we give God the glory, he knows what is going on with us. No matter how many people are at the pool sick, know that God is watching out for us.
- Jesus asks a question in verse 6. He says to the man, “Will thou be made whole?” The certain man started having a lamentation over his problem
- Problem– God will not allow us wallow in the problem and he will not allow us to be paralyzed by what has happened. All he wants to know is are we wanting to be made whole. The question is do you want something better? Ex- You know these kinds of people. You try to offer solutions, but they keep talking about the problem and are not open to solution. You don’t smoke, but they make you think about smoking when you talk to them. These people keep talking about their problem, because their problem has got them paralyzed.
- Paralyzed-You can’t get out of it, because the problem has got you paralyzed. In scripture, when people referred to Jesus, they usually call him Rabbi or Teacher. John 5:7 says 7The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me. – In verse 7, they referred to Jesus as “Sir”. Sir can mean you have a problem, just like when somebody cuts in front of you. You say, “Sir” as if to say, “What’s up”. In this context the address using the word “Sir” is like the certain man was saying, “You know I want to be made whole!”
- Potential– Jesus was not concerned with the man’s problem. He was concerned about his potential. The man’s frustrated spirit is an example of spirit of discouragement that is running throughout the whole body of Christ. Your faith must propel you to place of faith. You can be discouraged, but you can’t wallow there. Job said though he (God) slay me, yet will he trust him. Jeremiah penned a time where he almost got discouraged. Through it all, he penned the words … great is thou faithfulness. God will put you in a situation to challenge your faith, but we must refuse to look like what we are going through.
III. Christ who can change your future
John 5:6-8 – 6When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole? 7The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me. 8Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk.
- Jesus asks in verse 6, do you want to be made whole? All the water or the pool can do is heal you. The certain man was waiting. In verse 6, Jesus says he came to make him whole. He was not offering healing (like the pool offers). Jesus was offering wholeness. Like the man at the pool, we are after more than healing. We are after wholeness.
- Deliverance will come when you stop talking about your problem. We have to:
- Receptive to revelation-Don’t worry about what happens.
- Rise out of your rut. – Know that it is your time now.
- Rein over your restraints– The thing that has been holding us, we are now over it. If it has been controlling us, know that we now control it. We give God glory, that destiny is in his hands. It is not about how we start out, but how we end up.
- God is saying your turn around is about to happen. Imagine the line at the pool. You are in line trying to figure out how you are going to make it up to the pool. Just like being in the line at the pool, we keep coming to church wondering when our turn will come. Know that no matter what, your turn is next. No matter what, when God shows up, he changes the rules of the game. He asks do you want to be made whole. God says he is going to do something in your life. Verse 3 says there was multitude of people. Verse 6 says Jesus saw him. Jesus must have turned that thing around (the order of the line). Know that the last shall be first and first shall be last. God says if the people who are called by their name, will humble themselves, seek my face, turn from their wicked ways, and pray then he will heal the land. If you turn around, God will turn your situation around. Turnaround from that crazy system and from those crazy people and turn to him and God will move you to the front of the line! We are depending on this and that! Just turn to him! He will give you wholeness, peace of mind, and the ability to go to bed at night. We are after wholeness.