Knowing your bible Part III
“How the bible equips us”
Synopsis of Bible Study 3/17/10
Today we want to talk about what the bible produces in us. It should push us to be better. 2 Timothy 2:15 says 15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.- Study to show yourself approved, because a servant needs not to be ashamed, because they can rightly divide the word of truth. The word equips us to perform ministry. The way we live out God’s will every day, the word of God helps equip us to do that.
2 Timothy 3:14-15 says 14But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.-You come to know Christ, the wisdom of the word of God.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 says 16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.-Perfect means mature. Thoroughly furnished means complete and equipped. It is important to know the importance of this. There are many people who do not find value in being complete in God’s word. It is like being on airplane and listening to the pilot on the intercom say that there is a crisis, but they will have to get back with you later when he figures out how to handle it. This would unnerve us, because you would think he would come over the public address system and say that he has everything under control, because they are completely equipped. After all, why would you put people at this high an altitude, put people’s lives in danger, and not be equipped to handle the crisis? Like this, God wants us to be completely equipped in this word so that we can handle our crisis. We have to know this word for ourselves
I. Equips us by building our faith
a. Different Areas of faith
1. Saving faith -2 Timothy 3:15 says 15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.- The bible shows us our condition, our condemnation, and it shows us how to obtain conversation. It shows that Jesus died for us regardless of our sin nature. It is based on our ability to come to God so that we might be saved. There are those that feel they don’t qualify to be with God. Know that there is nothing you can do where the grace of God can’t find you. Most of us have been at this same place where we think that we don’t qualify to be with God, but a word came into our life, we believed in that the word, and as a result we got saved. This is why the enemy doesn’t want us to know the word.
2. Serving faith-2 Timothy 2:15 says 15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.-study means to be diligent or labor. It suggests that when spend time in God’s word, we are able to rightly divide his word. Rightly dividing his word is like a surgeon being able to make a straight cut. As we study, we are motivated to study his word more and not relying on our Pastor as our only means of bible study. We want to go deeper, so we can rightly divide the word of God which means we want to be precise in our interpretation. If we rightly divide or study God’s word, then we are not ashamed when the enemy tries to confront us based on the word. Ex- How many people had a moment where they had someone who knew the bible, but was absolutely wrong on an issue? You knew they were wrong, though they were so convincing about it, yet you were so unlearned, you didn’t have the scriptures to come back and tell them how they were wrong. In that moment you were ashamed, because you could not rightly divide the word. Just knowing is not enough. You have to be able to rightly divide the word and be able to go through the word for yourself. If you don’t know that, all you have is a feeling. Ex- It has be more than saying something touched me from the crown of my head to the sole of my feet. This feeling could also be indigestion. Being able to rightly divide the word means I don’t have to run from people. I can stand flat footed and tell people why I believe what I believe.
i. Do you know it is possible to be in church for 20yrs and not know the bible? Ex- Some people came from churches where the preacher said turn to a scripture and by the time you got there, they were done preaching. The others that come to church and literally rely on what the preacher is going to preach on as their total bible study experience. As a result, they never know the word of God.
b. The word of God equip us for the fight
1. Ephesians 6:17 says 17And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: – The Sword of the spirit is word of God. The sword of the spirit comes from the Greek word rhema-It is a short roman sword, almost like a dagger. Roman soldiers would have it on their side as a tool to cut things up or to use as a dagger in a time of hand to hand combat. The word “logos” refers to “The whole word of God”. John 1:1 says 1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. – The word here means logos. Rhema refers to a specific word. Ex- Imagine the logos as an idea of armory or a big building filled with weapons. During war, the soldier walks into the armory to choose a weapon. The weapon he chooses is the rhema. It is a specific weapon for a specific battle. Logos is the armory, but we look for a specific rhema word or weapon for a specific battle. The whole logos is good, but we have to know what we need, when we need when we need it. When Jesus was being tempted in Matthew 4:1-11, he went to book of Deuteronomy to grab a rhema word. He kept saying, “It is written ““…” Jesus knew specifically what he needed. The truth is we really don’t come to church to get a word, because we are supposed to get a word at home. We come to church to get a rhema word. We need a specific word for what we are going through. Ex- If you lost your house, the scripture that says “…how beautiful and pleasant it is for us to join together in unity… “won’t be the word for you at that time. When the devil comes and tries to mess up your mind, you need to go into that armory (logos) and get you a rhema word so you can say, “Devil, I got a rhema now! “ We might need to grab the situation that says “He’ll keep me in perfect peace if I keep my mind stayed on him”. When the Devil messes with your money, you might need to grab a rhema word that says, “My God shall supply all of my needs…” When he messes with your health, you might need to grab a rhema word that says, “He was wounded for my transgressions and bruised for my iniquities and by his stripes, I am already healed.” Tell the Devil you know he is trying to convince you that you ain’t going to be nothing, but we got a rhema word that says we are wonderfully and fearfully made. We are the head and not the tail. We are a royal priesthood.” We have to know what to fight with. This is how you know that you are in the right church. Anyone can inspire you. Dr. Phil can inspire you, but when you come into House of God, there has to be such a connection to the anointing that every time the man or woman of God comes with the word, it should drop right into your situation. It has to be a word that makes you want to run on and see what the end is going to be. You are assured that you will get the victory, because you have a rhema word.
2. There is another term called logos-centric- It is the word that God’s word is the center of all we do. Ex- In the Mt Zion mission statement, there is s a line that says we are a word centered ministry.
II. It performs an enabling ministry
a. The word of God enables us to grow spiritually. 2 Timothy 3:15 says 15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.- We are told that the word of God makes us wise to teach us to have understanding. How many of you have done stuff in the past that you can’t believe now that you did? Growing in the word makes you make wise decisions. It has been said that reading the word of God for 30mins a day for 10yrs is equivalent to having a Doctor of Philosophy Degree. The word of God is a seed, God waters that seed, and it produces fruit and grows.
1. We are furnished in God’s word. 2 Timothy 3:17 says 17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.-We grow to go. God builds us up to enable us to operate in our area of ministry. When our children grow up and turn 18, we want them out the house as soon as possible. The reason is, when you’re grownup, its time to do something.
2. The word gives us the tools.
1. We understand God’s works- (In other words, what is God doing around us).
2. We understand God’s will (What he wants from us).
3. We understand God’s ways (How he accomplishes his will). We don’t get upset, because God is working on his will in our lives. Sometimes we might not understand. His ways might be contrary to what we thing. Isaiah 55 reminds us that his ways are not are ways and his thoughts are not our thoughts. Sometimes God is accomplishing his will by conflicting our ways.
1. They enable us to go spiritually
III. It performs an enlightening ministry
a. We are enlightened through their coaching ministry. Everything we know about God came from the word of God, like our doctrine for example. As a result when we found our self slipping, God’s word coaches us. It makes us do stuff we don’t want to do. A great cloud of witnesses encourages us is in there to encourage us.
b. We are enlightened through their chastising ministry. There ought to be something in us that convicts us. It should literally make us say ouch. Nobody likes to be put to the test. It shows us where we should be in relation to where we are. It reminds us of how short we are from the glory of God. James 1:23-25 says 23For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: 24For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. 25But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.-Whoever pays attention to the word of God continues it. You have to look at the word of God like a mirror. It reflects where you should be and where you are and as a result, it convicts you. We often think the word we receive is for someone else, but it is for us. The word of God is a convicting word. The word of God reproves. It comes from the word, evidence. Hebrews 11:1 says 1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. In both cases, it is like convincing evidence or a smoking gun. God will give a scripture and it will be like a smoking gun right where we are hurting. It is like medicine. It is amazing how one pill knows I have a headache and not a foot ache. The receptors are sending signals where the pain is. This lets the medicine know where to go. That is how God’s word is. It goes where your pain is. Don’t get mad at the preacher. He is just giving you the pill. It goes where the pain or your struggle is.
c. We are enlightened through their correcting ministry. It doesn’t just tell us what’s wrong; it teaches us how to fix what is wrong. Ex- Bishop Walker trains Pastors across the country. He tells the Pastor’s that they don’t have to tell people that they are wrong. They know they are wrong. It does no good to tell them they are going to hell. They know this. Bishop tells them that they need to tell them how not to go to hell. The word of God doesn’t just beat us down. It builds us up. Jesus came to reconcile. Jesus knew where we were spiritually and he came to build us up. Ex- We know cursing is wrong. What we need to know is how not to curse. The word of God restores us.
1. The whole idea of correction in the body of Christ is hard because we have a generation of repeat offenders. You know how some people seem to join the church every Sunday? What is their issue? Why do you want to get baptized every six months? Ex-A part of the health care profession benefits from your sickness. If they made pills to heal you, they would put themselves out of business. If they cure you, they won’t eat. What they do instead is make a pill with thousands of side effects. Ex- They give you a pill to stop your coughing, but it may cause you to have a rash, or high blood pressure, or some other ailment. It is like you have to keep paying the piper.
2. In the beginning was the word (logos). Logos was with God, logos was God, and then the scripture goes on to say … and the logos became flesh and dwelt among us. When the logos became flesh and it became rhema. Jesus was our rhema word. He was the word for every specific situation. That’s why everyone that came to Jesus looking of a healing got it. Nowhere in the bible do you see them coming back to be healed again. When they got healed, they were whole. You don’t see blind the man coming back because one of his eyes was getting faulty again. You don’t see the people with leprosy coming back saying they were itching again. When Jesus healed them the first time, it was done. In like manner, we get a word delivered by our Pastor, we get convicted, we get principle, we come out of church saying we going to be better, and 2 mins later we right back in the same mess. We have to understand the exchange of rhema. Jesus was the word made flesh, so that we could become flesh made the word. Everywhere we go, we are the word. We should be seeping the word. We should have so much word in us, it leaks out. It ought to be hard to backslide, because we are so full of the word. When you open up your mind and spirit to receive the word, you are good. Ex- This is what messes us up. When we grew up in some churches, we saw people in church for 20yrs and they were doing some crazy stuff. They would be outside smoking, cursing in church meetings, and raising their hands in worship in church, refusing to speak outside. Just because you are in church, it doesn’t mean you are in the word. The Devil goes to church too. You got to get in his God’s word.
d. We are enlightened through their commanding ministry. The more we read it, the more we believe it, and then we become more like him. We are not here to impress or be emotional. We are trying to get a rhema word. We want a word that teaches us not only to be good, but how to be good a husband or a good wife. At the end of the day, we want to leave church saying we have a command from God
e. We are enlightened by the conquering ministry-You can’t walk around with all this word with your lip stuck out and looking like that. Because of who we are and who we know, we are conquerors in everything we are.
f. Romans 8:35-36 says 35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.-All of these things mentioned in verse 35 are inevitable. They will come. Their objective is to separate us from Christ. Why is that important? It is because the only way to separate you from Christ is to separate you from his word. The word and the son are the same. Verse 36 says for Christ’ sake, we are killed all day long, because we are Christians. Know that as Christians, we are targets. People are not going to like us. We should expect people to be intimidated by us, because of whom we are and who we represent. All that going on in your life should be confirmation alone that God has his hand on you. Somebody is always going to be after us.
g. We are over comers. Romans 8:37-38: 37Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.38For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,-It doesn’t matter what happens in our life . Though there is demonic activity and negative stuff that comes your way, know there is still more is on the way, but we are sending a message to our future. Bring it on!
h. No matter how high God takes us, we are still going to be faithful. Romans 8:39: 39Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.- We are going to be faithful no matter what. Whether we lose our house or our job, we are still going to be here giving God the glory. If anyone comes into our life, we are not going to let them separate us from a Christ. We need God’s word too much! We are not going to let anyone separate us from the love of God. The devil is trying to make us separate ourselves from the word. Ex- How many times have you heard this question? “Where you been? I’ve just been going through.” This sounds like a person in need of a rhema word. God’s word comes to equip us. We thank God that no matter what comes in our life. Never let go of God’s word. Ex- Bishop Explains in 2005 he remembers standing in Baptist Hospital, contemplating on leaving God’s word. He remembers God’s word coming back to him such a powerful way. God said to him, “This word is the only thing that can keep you alive. It has sustained you in good days and it will sustain you in bad days!” The enemy was trying to separate him from the word of God. You got to believe God’s word. We will let nothing separate us from his word. Every time we go to that armory and find ourselves in battle, God always gives us a rhema word and we will come out better than when we went in!
- Dora on The Joshua Generation, “It’s time”, Sermon 08/01/10
- Dora on The Joshua Generation, “It’s time”, Sermon 08/01/10
- Dr Charles Jones on From Tears to a testimony, Sermon 3.19.17
- growintheword on Just a thought
- growintheword on Just a thought