Know your bible Part II
Synopsis 3/10/10 Bible Study
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Study in biblical inspiration
1. The bible was written over a period 1500 yrs.
2. The bible was written by 40 authors. Among them were kings, military leaders, peasants, and etc.
3. The bible was written in many different places at many different times and places. – When Jesus was crucified in Rome, know that this was not the only thing going on that time. Many things happen in parallel to what’s going on in the text you are reading.
4. The bible was written on 3 continents: Asia, Africa, and Europe
5. The bible was written in 3 different languages: Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic
6. The bible is written in many different literary styles: Prose, Poetry, Historical Narrative, Romance, Law, biography, parable, allegory, and prophecy.
a. Prose & Poetry are the Psalms & Proverbs.
b. Historical- 1&2 Chronicles, 1&2 Kings, Acts,
c. Romance- Songs of Solomon
d. Law- Leviticus, Deuteronomy
e. Biography- Ruth
f. Parable- Jesus spoke many parables. Found in the gospel books.
g. Allegory- Revelations, Songs of Solomon
h. Prophesy-Old Testament
7. The bible addresses hundreds of difficult issues without contradiction.
8. The main character of the bible is God himself, made known through the person of his son, the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
I. The process of biblical inspiration
1. How did the bible get into the hearts of man?
a. Through Revelation-the process whereby a man hears from the Lord just what the Lord wants written down. – God spoke revelation in various places and at various times.
2. Ways God spoke revelation:
a. He spoke through angels. Genesis 18 & 19, Luke 1-2, Matthew 28
b. He spoke in audible voice. Genesis 3:9-19, Genesis 6:13-21, Exodus 12:1-3, Exodus 20:1-17, Joshua 1:1-9, 1 Kings 17:2-4.
c. He spoke in a still small voice-1 Kings 19:11-12 – An example of this is when the light turned green, something said wait and then you saw someone run a red light. That was God speaking in a still small voice.
d. He spoke through nature. -Psalms 19
e. He spoke through animals- Numbers 22:28
f. He spoke through dreams – Genesis 28:12, Matthew 1-2, Matthew 2:19-22
g. He spoke through visions.- Isaiah 6:1-6- Daniel 7, Daniel 8, Daniel 10 Acts 16 & 18
h. God spoke through Christophanies. This is the appearance of Jesus in a human form which happened in the Old Testament.- Lots of people debate about whether there really were Christophanies, because they were called other things. They were other manifestations of God.
Some of these manifestations are as follows.
i. God spoke through Theophanies. This is the appearance of God.
ii. God spoke Angelophanies. This is the appearance of angels.
Christophany is the appearance of Jesus in human form, which happens in the Old Testament. Ex: When Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were thrown in the fiery furnace and the king said he saw a 4th person in the fiery furnace that looked like the son of God.
Post Resurrection Christophanies are appearances of Jesus after his resurrection. Ex- One example is when Jesus appeared to the disciples and they wanted to see the nail prints in his hand. Ex2-The Apostle Paul had to defend his Apostleship; because being an Apostle means that you both walked with and saw Jesus Christ. Remember the Disciples became Apostles, because Jesus trained them and they walked with Jesus. Paul calls himself an Apostle, be he wasn’t there when Jesus walked the earth. Paul defends his Apostleship in Acts 9, by saying he was on Damascus Road and a light came from heaven, then the voice of Jesus asks him why he was persecuting him. This was the voice of Jesus though this was after Jesus crucifixion, so to Paul, he had seen Jesus. This was a Christophany. Acts 9:3-6 (KJV) 3And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:4And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? 5And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. 6And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do. Ex3-Many people have claimed to have had Angelophanies, because there has been a person that bought them a message and never saw them again. The bible says be aware of entertaining strangers, because many have entertained angels unaware.
1. Inspiration- man writing on paper what God has told him to say. -This is how God breathed on the word all through bible. 2 Timothy 3:17 17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
2 Peter 1:20-21 20Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 21For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
Areas of false teachings
a. Natural Inspiration -This is the theory that there was nothing supernatural involved in writing the bible. They believed that men were inspired in the same fashion as Shakespeare, Milton, Dante, and etc…
b. Spiritual Illumination – The belief that the bible and its words were inspired, but also having the belief that any Christian can be inspired to write more scriptures. – Can you imagine what the scripture would look like if we wrote it? We would write in around the things that we are not willing to let go of.
c. Partial Inspiration -This view says that only the elements in the bible related to faith are inspired. They feel that there may be scientific or historical error found, but God has preserved the message of salvation – In other words this view believes science proves that some of the stuff in the bible is not true. The bible can stand up against scientific test. Ex- There are miracles that the bible records that if they happened today, they would be simply be viewed as medical procedures such as: A person used to wear glasses, had laser surgery, and now they can see better than they ever did with the glasses. Know that historical scientific data can be in error, but it doesn’t mean it is wrong. Ex2- The way the Red Sea was made geographically, the floor of the Red Sea was significantly lower than the land the children of Israel were standing on. This means that in order for them to cross the Red Sea, they not only would have to cross a muddy sea bottom, they would have to go downhill through a valley and back up again (like a sine wave shape). There is a theory among scientist where they believe that it was possible that the children of Israel crossed in another area called the Sea of Reeds (also called the Reed Sea). This is a marsh like body of water. Scientist try to say that this is more and likely where they crossed, trying to minimize the miracle of the Red Sea crossing. The truth of the matter is, it really doesn’t minimize the miracle. If God could drown Pharaoh and his whole army in that small a body of water, then that miracle is more spectacular than the one that is recorded.
d. Conceptual Inspiration – The concepts of scripture and not words are inspired. This is the idea says that God just gave a man an idea and man wrote what he thought about that particular topic.
e. Divine Dictation – This is the belief of automations in the hand of God. This is the belief that God came upon man and overrode them. This is the total belief that God moved the pen and merely used man’s body as a vehicle to write his own words. – In a sense it is the belief that man was like a robot being controlled by God. This is not true, because God would never take away a person’s personality, because we see the personality of the biblical writings coming through their writings.
f. Verbal Plenary Inspiration – Verbal Plenary is the belief that all the bible was inspired (every last word). Plenary means all. Verbal means words. We believe that all of the words of the bible were inspired, untainted by man’s opinion.
g. Illumination – The process by which God uses the inspired written record of his revelation to speak to the hearts of individual people –This is an example of how Bishop or your Pastor can preach the same text many times and every time, you will hear something different. The thing is that we will receive it where we are, based on our individual situation. Ex- When God say through your Pastor, “God is about to bring you out”, for one person they may feel God is saying their financial situation is about to turn around. For another person, they may feel God is saying that the person that they have been trying to get out of their house is about to leave.
i. There is a theory in seminary school about the apologetics. It is like a defense. You have to be able to have a defense. Can the bible stand up against certain tests? The enemy is going to come in and try you. We should be able to defend the bible, because it can stand up to test.
III. The bible can stand sociological and historical test
1. People laughed at the bible for a long time. They the bible was just an allegory and thought some of the places in it never existed. They even thought the bible never existed, until archeology and history caught up with it.
2. Here are some examples (Biblical proofs of inspiration):
a. For years they thought Ur of the Caribbean’s never existed and then proof was discovered to show that it really did.
b. History recorded Josephs reign in Egypt. Some doubted if Joseph really was as powerful as is recorded. Not many years ago, in Yemen, there was found an inscription in a wealthy woman’s house a transaction of bread being brought in Egypt and that bread was brought from Joseph. A tablet that archeologist found dated back in the time where Joseph lived. Imagine that.
c. Archeologist actually found the makeup saucers of Jezebel.
d. Even in Egypt now, archeologist have found brick that was made without straw. Remember the bible tells us that there was a period of time where Pharaoh made them make brick without straw as a punishment.
e. The death of Jesus is a historical fact. Records show that Jesus was really here on earth and punished under Roman execution. His tomb is still here and you can go and see it.
3. The bible passes the scientific test.
a. The bible says the earth was sphere. Isaiah 40:22 says 22It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:
b. The bible says the Earth was suspended in space.-Job 26:7 says 7He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.
c. The bible says the stars were innumerable. Genesis 15:5 says 5And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.
d. Embalming is found in the bible. Isaiah 40:22 says 22It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:
4. The bible passes the prophecy test
a. The bible will stand the test of prophecy. The test of prophecy says what was prophesied in the Old Testament, absolutely came to pass.
b. Here is a test of filled with stuff we may have read, but not paid attention to.
Let’s see how you do on this test (answers below)
1. Who is this scripture referring to? Micah 5:2 says 2But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
2. Who is this scripture referring to? Isaiah 40:3 says 3 Listen! It’s the voice of someone shouting, “Clear the way through the wilderness for the Lord! Make a straight highway through the wasteland for our God!
3. Who is this scripture referring to? Zechariah 9:9 says 9Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.
4. Who is this scripture referring to? Psalm 41:9 says 9Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.
5. Who is this scripture referring to? Zechariah 11:12 says 12And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver.
6. Who is this scripture referring to? Psalm 34:20 says 20He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken.
7. Who is this scripture referring to? Amos 8:9 says 9And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord GOD, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day:
9. Answer 1: This is referring to Jesus. Micah prophesied of Jesus thousands of years before he was born. He would be born in Bethlehem.
10. Answer 2: John the Baptist
11. Answer 3: Jesus when he came in on Palm Sunday.
12. Answer 4: Judas. He would be betrayed by a friend.
13. Answer 5: Judas. He would be betrayed for 30 pieces of silver.
14. Answer 6: Referring to Jesus. It was customary for them to break the bones of those being crucified, but not a bone in Jesus’ body would be broken.
15. Answer 7: At noon the sun refused to shine. Darkness covered the earth. Amos prophesied the exact time this would happen years in advance.
5. Imagine what the people did when these prophesies were made. Know that God’s word will come to pass. If all this has come to pass, there is still some that hadn’t come to pass yet. Ex- The same way you saw him leave, he is coming back for example. Earthquakes and floods you see them happening in different places. Children rising up against their parents. We are so causal in our lives, that we will miss the most powerful things that God will do in this age.
6. What are the odds of all of these prophesies coming to pass having been made thousands of years ahead of time?
7. Astrologers were looking for the star when Jesus was born, because it was prophesied of the star. Just like this, the last time we saw Jesus as a people, he was going up into heaven. We need to be looking up expecting at any moment Jesus is going to break through the clouds to come back.
8. We have allowed the world to interpret our reality. God gave the word for us to interpret from a spiritual perspective. If you interpret like the world, then what is the point of being a Christian? The world looks at what’s happening in Hatti, in Chile, in Turkey, and the potential of it happening in Tennessee (because of the fault line) as stuff that just happens. Spiritually, you have to say God show me what you are trying to show through all this happening? We know that there has to be something that God is trying to show us through all of this. You have to wonder why now.
Three things to remember about this bible
1. This bible is infallible. Every promise God made, will never fail. If he promised it, believe it will come to pass. If God says there is a real hell, believe that there is. After death comes judgment. There is no purgatory.
2. The bible is inerrant. it is not subject to error. It is implicitly true. The interpretation of man might error, but his word is not in error. His word is true.
3. The bible is complete. When John finished writing revelation, he put his pen down after writing amen, and the bible was complete.
We learn this term called Sola scriptura. It means the scripture alone is all we need. Out of all the books you shall read, remember that there isn’t any book more powerful or full of life as God’s word. There is no adding to it or taking away. His word is the same. The point is, we shout on God promised us a job and we believe it is coming, we shout on the fact that God promised us a house or a promotion and we believe by faith it is going to happen, but we need to believe that one day in the twinkling of an eye, the trumpet is going to sound and the dead in Christ shall rise and those of us who remain will be caught up to meet the Lord in the air. There we will reign with him and we can’t crown him Lord of lords until will all get there. Every knee will bow and every tongue will have to confess the he is Lord of lords and King of kings. This is no play thing. The bible is real and blessed is he that handles it correctly and whoa to him who handles it lightly.