We need your glory
Synopsis of Sermon 02/02/10
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Text 2 Chronicles 7:1-11
There is powerful thing we carry within us as children of God. It is expectation. Expectation is that which propels us away from our current reality and causes us to hope for something greater. Expectation literally declares that we may be in process, but we recognize that God has something else on the other side of our journey. What is interesting is, when you are expecting something, it is often times demonstrated through your language, your vernacular, and your posture. When you have expectation, there is victory in your vernacular. There is spirituality in your syntax. There is a sense of anticipation that bubbles over so much that even when people sit around you, they wonder why you are so antsy. Well the answer is, because you are expecting something.
In our text today, as we look at the temple being built, in Solomon’s day, we are encouraged to see an incredible move of God. The people were expecting for the completion of the temple to take place. The bible declares that when Solomon made it to the end of his prayer, fire from heaven came down and consumed the burnt offering. People had lain on the altar what they had to offer, but God sent down fire and it consumes it. The bible declares shortly after that, the glory of the Lord filled the house.
Let’s take a minute to understand the glory of the Lord. Remember in Exodus 40:35 says 35And Moses was not able to enter into the tent of the congregation, because the cloud abode thereon, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle. – We are acquainted with what happened when Moses was not allowed to enter the tent, because the cloud was there and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. The cloud was the glory, the presence of the God, a divine interruption, a supernatural intervention into the affairs of a child of God’s life. Whenever the glory of God comes, it will interrupt protocol. The glory of God will come and rearrange your little program. You can have it all written out, but when the glory of God comes, you have to stand back and reverence the glory of God, because when he shows up, he shows up to show out. We believe those who come through the snow to hear this message in person didn’t come here for business as usual. You didn’t press your way through all that ice, just to have another service. Somebody was desperate for an encounter with the very glory of God. Many of us have some things that we are expecting for God to do this year. Somebody is expecting a healing, somebody’s expecting God to restore a broken relationship, and somebody’s expecting God to open a door that has been closed all your life. All of those things are going to happen. Matthew 6:33 says 33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. – The kingdom of God is God’s way of doing things, God’s order, and God’s domination coming down into the earth realm. We need a divine intervention. There are some things we have been working on and we have become weary trying to complete it, but we want God to finish what we can’t finish. We need the power of the glory of God. Lord send your glory! Lord send your glory so that every that is crooked will get straight! Send your glory so that people that are sick will get healed! Send your glory, so that every unemployed person gets employed! Send your glory so that every broken relationship becomes restored! Send your glory so that everything the devil tries to take from us will be given back! Lord send your glory so that we may experience your power and your presence like never before! Is there anybody reading this that wants the presence and the power of God to fall fresh on their life?
In the text we notice why the people are yet building, they are working on something.
I. Work on something
2 Chronicles 7:1-2: 1Now when Solomon had made an end of praying, the fire came down from heaven, and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices; and the glory of the LORD filled the house. 2And the priests could not enter into the house of the LORD, because the glory of the LORD had filled the LORD’s house.
1. Like this, many of us are working and building on something in our lives. Many of us had to rebuild, because of stuff that happened last year (in the recession). God says we really need to understand that when God’s glory comes, he comes to fill the house, not just a particular room. God’s glory comes to take over. It comes to take total dominion over everything in your life.
2. Solomon had prayed and the scripture says when he finished praying, fire from heaven came down and the glory of God came in. In verses 1-3, we see the glory of his presence. – Make no mistake; regardless of your position or title, when God comes into your life, you have to respect his reverence. The bible declares that everyone began to worship God. God will not share his glory with anyone. We have to get ourselves out of the way. Understand that worship intels submission.
3. The bible says that when they saw the fire come down and they saw the glory of the Lord, they began to worship God. Many of us don’t worship, because we don’t’ see anything, but whenever you see God moving in your midst, you see a power moving that is greater than yourself. It will create within you a sense of worship and authenticity that says that God don’t have to necessarily do anything. We just reverence him for who he is. When we look back at where God has brought us from, we are willing to just bask in his glory. Can you imagine what that feels like, to be in a relationship with God and know that he doesn’t have to move in any capacity in order to please us? All he has to do is just be present. His presence in our midst is enough to make us raise our hands and give God the praise. Real worshippers are people who can worship God in spirit and in truth. When you worship God, it is not only something that you do, it something you are. It is how you treat people. You can’t be nice in here and curse people outside. It is about your willingness to worship him. In worship, you don’t need the organ or drums or somebody to say stand to your feet to pump you up. Every day you recognize that you are blessed to be alive and you thank God for the things money can’t buy. The reaction to God’s glory is worship.
4. What is interesting is how they move from worship to praise.
II. Move from worship to praise
1. Many of us have been taught and rightly so, that praise leads to worship. We are taught that it is our praise that breaks through the fallow ground. It is our praise that pushes through our stress and our trouble and once we arrive at this place in the presence of God, we can relax and just worship God, because in his presence there is fullness of joy and at his right hand are treasures evermore. This is why we have praise and worship.
2. It is both interesting and paradoxical that in this text is the idea that these people of God worshiped God first and then they moved to praise. It is interesting that they would actually worship God or enter into the presence of God before they praised God. Normally it is the other way around. The revelation that God wants us to get is that God needs some people to fall back in love with him. He says he needs some people to fall in love with his presence rather than his presents. Many of us fall in love with the gifts, but have fallen out of love with the giver and the reality is, if you can fall back in love with God and say to him “Before you do anything , before you bless me, let me just give you glory for who you are”, then you will get in his presence. This will cause us to reflect back over our life and see his goodness. The bible says they praised him for his goodness and his mercy. We don’t have to spend a lot of time on this; because there are a lot of people reading this that we know God has been good to them. You can just think about what God has done for you and just praise God. You can look back over your life and think about all the stuff that you have complained about and you can say Lord I thank you for your goodness. God’s been good.
3. Verse 3 says they began to praise the Lord. 2 Chronicles 7:3 says 3And when all the children of Israel saw how the fire came down, and the glory of the LORD upon the house, they bowed themselves with their faces to the ground upon the pavement, and worshipped, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever. – They were saying he is good for his mercy endureth forever. Translation, God is so good, I can’t believe that he is good to somebody like me, because when we look at how messed up were, and how much we don’t deserve it, his mercy kicks in. Goodness and mercy just keeps on coming. Every time God blesses us, when somebody asks how God did it, we can simply say it was God’s mercy.
4. How did we get that mercy? Anybody know about God’s goodness and his mercy? God’s goodness and his mercy travel with us. David said look over your shoulder because goodness and mercy follows you all the days of your life. God is just good. Give me 30 sec to praise him by myself, because God is just that good. God healed our body, put food on our table, and made a way out of no way, got us through the snow without running off the road, got us a job that we didn’t deserve it, and restored stuff that we didn’t think we would get back. God is just good.
5. When the glory came, the bible says they worshipped God. The scripture says they praised him for his goodness and mercy, because it endures forever. They were working on something for the glory of God and the glory of God came down in their midst and caused them to reverence his glory, get out of the way, and recognize who was there (God).
6. The bible declares that we have to examine the giving of the people.
III. Giving of the people
2 Chronicles 7:4-5: 4Then the king and all the people offered sacrifices before the LORD. 5And king Solomon offered a sacrifice of twenty and two thousand oxen, and an hundred and twenty thousand sheep: so the king and all the people dedicated the house of God.
1. The King and all the people offered sacrifices to the Lord, because they were working on something. King Solomon offered a sacrifice of 22,000 oxen. We don’t have ox. This was an agricultural society so this was revenue to them. It also says he gave 120,000 sheep. We don’t have sheep either. This was revenue to them also. So the king and all the people dedicated the house of the Lord. They dedicated the house of the Lord, because the leaders gave first and when the leaders gave, the people followed.
2. The glory of God really represents completion. Whenever the glory of the Lord shows up, it is s subtle reminder that it is time to complete something. God is a completer. When Jesus Christ came into his glory, it was at Calvary. Jesus says it is finished. When God created the world, he did it in 6 days and on 7th day he rested because he completed it. He says I am the alpha and omega. He says I am the first and the last. He says he is the beginning and the end. Wherever the glory is, there must be completion. The issue is, many of us walk around saying we are going to give him glory, yet we have a lot of incomplete stuff in our life. For that we give him glory, but he won’t give us glory. We not only need to give him glory, we want him to bring his glory down to us. God says he will not allow his glory to come down until we show we are ready to complete something. God doesn’t have time to fool with incomplete people. God says he has already completed what we are working on; he just needs us to step in and complete it ourselves. The glory is a reminder of our need to complete things. Many of us are sitting around with stuff that God needs us to complete. That book we have been waiting to write, that business plan you need to implement; God needs us to complete some stuff. God says he is about to send his glory as a subtle reminder that we need to complete some things. God is a God of completion. When we complete a thing, it represents glory.
3. Everyone in this text understood their role, but they also understood the goal.
IV. Understand the Goal
2 Chronicles 7:6: 6And the priests waited on their offices: the Levites also with instruments of musick of the LORD, which David the king had made to praise the LORD, because his mercy endureth for ever, when David praised by their ministry; and the priests sounded trumpets before them, and all Israel stood.
1. The text says and the priest waited on their offices. The priest had a function in the temple. They served their purpose. The Levites or the musicians served their purpose, because the mercy of the Lord endures forever and David praised by their ministry. And the priest sounded their trumpets before them and all of Israel stood. Everybody was on one accord. Some people can’t finish what they are supposed to do, because they get so caught up in the roles, they lose sight of the goal. If we just learn how to function in our role, we will realize that some of our roles will overlap to help us accomplish the goal. While you are arguing over position and turf, you might miss the goal.
2. The bible says that Solomon hallowed out the middle court. 2 Chronicles 7:7 says 7Moreover Solomon hallowed the middle of the court that was before the house of the LORD: for there he offered burnt offerings, and the fat of the peace offerings, because the brasen altar which Solomon had made was not able to receive the burnt offerings, and the meat offerings, and the fat. – In other words it was too small. The altar that Solomon had made was too small to do what needed to be done.
3. A very great congregation. 2 Chronicles 7:8-9 says 8Also at the same time Solomon kept the feast seven days, and all Israel with him, a very great congregation, from the entering in of Hamath unto the river of Egypt. 9And in the eighth day they made a solemn assembly: for they kept the dedication of the altar seven days, and the feast seven days. – They had already dedicated the temple, but they let the ceremony go on for 8 days (8 means new beginning).
4. We must give with sacrifice. 2 Chronicles 7:10 says 10And on the three and twentieth day of the seventh month he sent the people away into their tents, glad and merry in heart for the goodness that the LORD had shewed unto David, and to Solomon, and to Israel his people.-All the people that worked and labored left the temple and went back to the tent. They gave God the glory because they saw what they worked for completed. When you give, your giving should be sacrificial. If you’re giving is comfortable, then you are not ready for the next level of God’s glory. God says we want his glory and we want him to do something new in your life, but we are not willing to sacrifice. These people gave and it was substantial.
5. Solomon’s giving was substantial and sufficient. There was no need for anything. When they left and completed what they were doing, they said it was enough. Ex-When we think about what God has done for Mt Zion, we think about how our Jefferson Street Church was built by the sweat of the brow of people on minimum wage and fixed incomes. It is now debt free. Antioch was built on 2003, and 2 1/2 years later it was debt free because people sacrificed and did what God asked them to do. And now we are in a building that seats 5400 people. We owe 9 million dollars on it. Bishop explains that he asked God what it will take to get a break thru in this area of 9 million dollars, because the people of this day won’t even show up if he is not there. God says here is the problem. Bishop says God told him that he was carrying too much on his shoulders. He says he had a friend, Norman Waggoner of Ohio who died of heart problems. He says he had another friend in Los Angeles who was put on a sabbatical for 6wks. God simply told Bishop that he has to teach people how to pray for God’s Glory. When God’s glory comes in, it will release spirit of generosity. When the glory comes, the supernatural will break through and it will put blessing in the life of people. If God could do it then, he can do it now!
6. This is the year that God says he is going to release a debt free anointing. We are crazy enough to believe that God is going to blow our mind. God let your presence rein in our life! There is no way you can do that without guaranteed prosperity. Ex- Somebody asked did he believe in prosperity gospel. Bishop says there is such thing. The gospel is the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Jesus didn’t come to give us a car. He died to save us. It is to redeem us in relationship with God. Does Bishop believe God wants to prosper us? Yes. Everything we have, he gave us. Everything we know, he taught us.
7. When the glory comes down it is impossible to leave stuff unfinished. It is time to close up some loose ends. Verse 3 says they worshipped on the payment. This symbolizes being in a hard place or uncomfortable place. If given a choice, we would pick grass over pavement to bow down on. Pavement represents a tough place. The blessing of the Lord is when people can praise us in tight spots. The people of God had seen him do great things and they weren’t scared to testify. They celebrated and went home after task was finished. The glory of God had come down and completed what he said it would do.
8. Sow into your covering. 2 Chronicles 7:10-11 says 10And on the three and twentieth day of the seventh month he sent the people away into their tents, glad and merry in heart for the goodness that the LORD had shewed unto David, and to Solomon, and to Israel his people. 11Thus Solomon finished the house of the LORD, and the king’s house: and all that came into Solomon’s heart to make in the house of the LORD, and in his own house, he prosperously effected. – Translation, when Solomon finished Gods house, God finished his house. Whatever God does corporately, he has a way of doing individually. Whatever you see God doing corporately in the place that you are connected, get ready because the anointing flows down. Do you know how many testimonies there are where people started one business and now have multiple businesses? You got to be series about covenant. If you are in covenant with God, he will give to you good measure pressed down shaken together and running over. You can’t be swayed by circumstance. No matter how tight things are, you have to say you will trust him. You have to sow into your covering. God will not let you bless his house and not turn around and bless your house.
God told Bishop to prophesy to the people of God and say this will be the year of recovery. Because of your faithfulness, God will restore. I feel a recovery coming over. If you can lift your hands and say Lord send your glory, he will. We want his power and presence. God send your glory. Somebody desperate for the anointing and fresh touch of God, say “Lord send your glory until everything sick gets healed, until finical needs will be met, until every closed door opens, and every crooked place is made strait.”
9. 2 Chronicles 7:14 says 14If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. – If we pray, seek him, and turn from our wicked ways, then we will hear from heaven and God will come down and interrupt our program and forgive our sins and heal the land and restore, and reveal. It is not about title or position. We are ready for the next position of glory. You’ve been praying that you want God’s glory. The problem is you have been too much in control. We got stuff we need to complete and we wonder why God doesn’t complete it. It is because we need his glory.
- growintheword on You got to go through it!, Sermon 04/24/13
- Bettye Dodson on Genesis IV, Bible Study 11/30/16
- growintheword on How To Study Pray & Win Part 2, Bible Study 9/7/16
- Bettye Dodson on How To Study Pray & Win Part 2, Bible Study 9/7/16
- growintheword on Purpose