The Struggle for potential Pt 4
The Anatomy of Noise
Synopsis of 11/22/09
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Text: Psalm 100:1:1Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.
It is no secret that we are living in a world where people make noise. Noise is the vehicle by which convictions are portrayed. Compassion is demonstrated by way of noise. What you believe in is often associated with the noise that you make. Even now while we are in this place, Republicans and Democrats are making noise, trying to get Healthcare passed in their favor. Noise in the hip-hop culture makes noise in an attempt to raise awareness of what they interpret as the ills of our community. Activists make noise in an attempt to bring awareness to their cause. Everybody is making noise. One of the most amazing things that we experience today is everybody else is making noise and the group of people that should really be making the most noise is silent. If anybody ought to be making noise, it ought to be the people that have witnessed the very power and provision and presence of God in our lives. In the text, the Psalmist makes a very powerful statement. It is a declaration of responsibility to those of us who have been recipients of the goodness of the Lord. Psalms 100 is one of those Psalms who was written by an anonymous author. In other words, we don’t know who wrote Psalms 100; however, we do know that this Psalms was written about 80yrs after the destruction of the temple that the Babylonian King had destroyed. They had rebuilt this temple and this psalm (in the text) was a Psalms that the people were singing as they were entering into the new temple. This Psalms is really about what you do in response to life when all the dust has settled and you begin to start over and are heading into another season. This is why they entered into the gates with thanksgiving and into the courts with praise. It was because it is something fresh and something new and even after the violent attack, God has raised them up all over again.
Today we are talking about people that have gone through a lot of stuff, but now you are in a brand new season. In other words, God is doing it for you. This is the kind of Psalms that says there is no way as a child of God that you can sit up in here and try to be quiet. Nobody has a problem with noise in any other area but the church. People go to the football game and make noise and they go to a basketball game and make noise. Bishop explains sitting in a theater the other day watching Michael Jackson’s movie “This is it” and people were in the movie making noise over Michael, yet when we come to church, we try to be the frozen chosen. We have to learn that we ought to open up our mouth and make some noise! This noise is not some mere emotional reaction. It is not some charismatic moment people just go through to fulfill some religiosity. When the Psalmist talks about making a joyful noise, it talks about splitting the ear or making God’s name large. You and I both know the devil has made a lot of noise in your life. When you make joyful noise, you drown out the enemy. What you are really saying to the Devil is that you are turning the decimals up so that we can drown out everything the enemy is trying to do. This noise has nothing to do with how you were raised denominationally. It has nothing to do with how you have interpreted church. This noise is about when you put in perspective how far God has brought you, you can’t help but to make noise!
There are probably some people that sit up in church and wonder what all the noise is about. You were raised to believe that the church is a place where you are supposed to be silent or dignified. This often makes you afraid when you see others responding with noise like they do. You look at people and wonder why they do what they do. The only way to make us understand this totally is to give the anatomy of noise. Maybe this will make you leave here making a little bit more noise!
I. The Revelation
1. Revelation is to take the cover off. The “a” portion of the text says make a joyful noise. Psalm 100:1a:1Make a joyful noise. Notice it did not say make a skillful noise. It said make a joyful noise. Joy is a result of the word of God that has been spoken in our life. Once the word is spoken into our life that word becomes a revelation. We have a word, the word is in us, and as a result it gives or creates within us a joy response. Without the word, there would be no joy. 1 Peter 1:5 says 5Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.- In other words, when we get into a context that is inconsistent with our destiny, it is the word that will keep us. It is the word or the revelation revealed to us regarding our situation. There is a distinction, between happiness and joy. Happiness is a result of external stimuli that creates an eternal response. Ex- Some says when you sing well and you become happy or somebody gives you a gift and you become happy. Joy on the other hand is not based on happenings; Joy is based on a revelation. I have a word that is in my life. Ex-This word has been revealed to us, so if no one ever takes us out, we will take our own self out. The doctor gives us a bad report; we know we are already healed, because we have a revelation.
2. This joy is not an emotional reaction. Our noise is not some babble. Our noise is a response of God’s word and what he has revealed to us. It was based on what God promised us, while we were going through.
3. Our noise is about:
a. His revelation is our strength. Nehemiah 8:10 says 10Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our LORD: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.-The revelation of God is our strength. The revelation of God is our strength. Our joy or our noise is a response of the revelation. If we didn’t have the word, then we wouldn’t have strength.
b. Revelation shifts us. We may be there physically, but not spiritually. Paul and Silas were in the jail in Acts 16, but their spirit shifted to another place Psalm 30:5 says 5For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.-Joy shifts us from night to the morning. Therefore we can give God noise, because even in darkness, we have revelation.
c. Our noise is also about Salvation- Habakkuk 3:18: 18Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. – What we have our self in, God has the power to bring us up out of it. God will bring us out. God is our strength no matter how weak we get. We make noise because we know we are coming out of what we were in right now. We know that what we are in right now is not the last word. Make a joyful noise, not skillful noise.
d. Make a revelation noise. If you don’t’ have revelation, you don’t have the noise to make. The revelation inside of us is what makes our noise. This is an informed noise and not a zeal nose without knowledge. It is zeal according to knowledge.
II. The Reaction
1. How to you respond to life’s reactions? What do you do when things fall apart? There has to be an explanation of the noise. The noise has to be made as a result of the revelation that we have. Some people have relative emotionalism. You declare that you are not an emotional person and you wonder why people want you to make noise. Well you need to know that your emotionalism is relative. It is based on your context. You make noise in accordance to what you like! You might sit in church and be quiet, but you make noise in other contexts!
2. To sit in church and be quiet is a contradiction of you confession that Jesus is the best thing that ever happened to you. Noise is a reaction to the response of God in our situation. Noise is really tied to information. Ex-There is a lady that died a few years ago that couldn’t read. She had a 5th grade education. She was on the Motherboard at church. You wouldn’t dare walk in church or talk, because she and the other Mother’s of the board would pinch you to correct you. They would be over there moaning during the service. Every now and then when the spirit would get right, she would go “mmm!” Bishop explained that as kids they would laugh. There was something she was trying to say, but she didn’t have the grammar to say it! There wasn’t enough adverbs or adjectives to put together what she wanted to say when the spirit would hit her so when she tried to say it, nothing would come out but, “mmm!” Sometimes what God gives us is incomprehensible. It doesn’t make sense.
3. When God gives us noise, he sometimes focuses it on:
a. A purpose-He might focus our noise on a purpose. Sometimes God forces our noise in order for us to get a breakthrough. God told the children of Israel to march around the walls of Jericho and on the 7th day the 7th time he told them to shout. They all shouted and guess what happened? The wall came tumbling down. You can go to wall now and shout and nothing will happen, but when you do it out of obedience it triggers something in the supernatural. The shouting was done through obedience. When they shouted, they triggered something in the supernatural that happened in the natural! When you make noise through obedience, you trigger something in the supernatural that will make something happen in the natural on your behalf!
b. Noise is about Warfare and worship-You can’t be quiet in warfare and worship. 2 Chronicles 20:18-22 says18And Jehoshaphat bowed his head with his face to the ground: and all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem fell before the LORD, worshipping the LORD. 19And the Levites, of the children of the Kohathites, and of the children of the Korhites, stood up to praise the LORD God of Israel with a loud voice on high. 20And they rose early in the morning, and went forth into the wilderness of Tekoa: and as they went forth, Jehoshaphat stood and said, Hear me, O Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem; Believe in the LORD your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper. 21And when he had consulted with the people, he appointed singers unto the LORD, and that should praise the beauty of holiness, as they went out before the army, and to say, Praise the LORD; for his mercy endureth for ever. 22And when they began to sing and to praise, the LORD set ambushments against the children of Ammon, Moab, and mount Seir, which were come against Judah; and they were smitten.-When they made noise, God made the enemy confused. When you in spiritual warfare, this isn’t a time to be cute. This is the time to make some sho-nuff noise.
c. Noises are also about prayers-Sometimes you have to be noisy in your prayers. There is power in a noisy prayer. Ever been so hurt that you didn’t know what to say in your prayer? You fall on your face and cry and just make noise. There is power in a noisy pray. Romans 8:26 says 26Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. – Some of our most powerful prayers we have ever prayed have been noisy prayers. We just let out a cry. Thank God the Holy Ghost can interpret our moans and our groans.
d. Noise is in our Praise-Noise is also in my praise. We can’t look back over life, and be quiet! You can’t tell by looking at us what we have been through, but if we have to explain it, we will be forced to make some noise! There are no words that can comprehend what we went through! All we can do is think about the goodness of God and all he has done for us and we can’t help but to make noise! Our praise then is a result of our inability to articulate what we have been through. The Psalmist says make a joyful noise (revelation, joy). It is a reaction that we are going to allow our noise to focus on glory rather than let it focus on what the Devil is doing to us.
III. The Requirement
1. The text says make a joyful noise unto the Lord, everyone. Psalm 100:1 says 1Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. This means everyone. Here you have a requirement to give some outward expressions of gratitude. God has been too good for us to sit in church and be the frozen chosen. Ex- Bishop admits that he doesn’t like churches where everyone is cold like this. Bishop explains that he travels to a lot of churches that are so quiet and dignified and they resemble dry wood. The problem with dry wood is it catches on fir quick. Bishop admits that he likes a little moisture or some expressions of gratitude or maybe some appreciation. We have inheritance. We are beneficiaries of the goodness of God. What we have, God gave us! What we are he made us, what we know he taught us, and where we are, he brought us.
2. What the text suggests is the only ones that have the right to be quiet, is those God has never done anything for. If God has never healed your body, then be quiet. If God has never paid a bill, then be quiet. If he has never made a way out of no way, then be quiet. For the rest of us, if God has ever done anything for us, it forces us to open our mouth and say something! The more God’s does for us, the more intense our noise becomes.
Ex1-Bishop Walker explains that when he was in school @ Southern University, he played in the Band. He explains that the football team would be preparing for a game and they would have a Pep Rally before the game. The Pep Rally was designed to motivate the team, before the game. We have got to learn to have a Pep Rally, before we go in the battle!
During the game, the school makes lots of noise. They would be so loud in the stands that it would confuse the enemy. When the opposition would be in a position to score, the band would start the drum cadence alerting the crowd to make noise. This would cause confusion to the opposing team. They would be able to hear, so they would call a time out. They would come back out on the field and still be unable to hear because of all of the noise. This would throw the play off. Because they could not communicate, it would throw the play off. Just like this, we have to allow our noise to confuse the enemy.
After Southern University would win, they would have a party called the 5th qtr. This was a party celebrating their victory. How can you allow God to heal you and bring you out and you just sit there cold?
Ex2- There was an 80 yr old lady and things had really gotten bad in her life. She was raising her grandkids and her children were all in jail. She was in the grocery store with a basket full of groceries despite all that was happening in her life. She would go through the store doors and get her buggy and begin to shop. The store managers had gotten where they would watch this old lady while she was in the store. They noticed that every time that she would get to aisle #3, she would start screaming. This would scare the other customers in the store. The veteran Managers decided to send the new manger to talk to her and escort her out of the store this particular time. The new manager did as he was asked and he went up to the woman who was screaming and asked the old woman what her problem was. She told the new manager that she just couldn’t be quiet, because God had been too good to her. The new Manager says her praise scares the other customers and he asks could she explain why she had to scream every time she came to aisle # 3. The old lady said this is the last aisle she came to before leaving the store each time she came. She said that this aisle reminded her of all she had been through! She picks up a bottle of ALL detergent and she says despite all she was going through, she put it all in his hands! She said 6 mths ago, they turned off her lights, but thanks to God, she bounced back as she picked up a box of BOUNCE fabric softener! She also said God told her to be of good cheer despite her tribulation as she picked up a box of CHEER from out of the buggie and then she says weeping endures for a night but, joy comes in the morning as she shows the manager a bottle of JOY dishwashing liquid! She begins to shout and then she runs around the store as security comes and then she says and one more thing as they ask her why she has to be so loud? She says because I have learned that when things get rough we have got to shout it out as she shows the new Manager a bottle of SHOUT! Shout it out!!!