I can, I will, I must Part III
Synopsis of Bible study 09/16/09
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Whenever God gives a vision, he always wants that vision to be under Devine Supervision, because at that point he gives provision, there is not a need for division, and very seldom a need for revision. Why is this important? Because when I get ready to manifest vision, I have to know how to find it. How do we locate what God wants us to do.?
I. 7 ways to find out what your vision is:
1. What is the deepest spiritual desire in your heart? Psalm 37:4: 4Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. – God wants you to be consumed with him and then he will give you’re the desires of your heart .
2. What stirs your passion? What is that thing in your life that creates zeal, fire, or excitement? What is that thing that gets us up in the middle of the night. and intensity. John 2:17: 17And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up. – When we see what Jesus is doing, we are so passionate about purpose it generates enthusiasm in every area of our life.
3. What flows naturally out of you? Purpose is never unnatural. Although challenges may occur on your assignment, it naturally flows from you. You need to feel natural when you do it.
4. Where do you bring forth fruit or produce good results. It is God’s desire that we bring forth fruit. You need to know where you bring fruit. Lives are changed as a result of your fruit. Matthew 12:33: 33Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit. Look at where you are most productive.
5. What is the witness of the Holy Spirit in your spirit? God often speaks to us and we write it off as a feeling or intuition. God actually prompts something inside you to direct you to your vision. Romans 8:14-16: 14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 15For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 6The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: -We are led by the spirit of God. What is the witness of the Holy Spirit and where is it leading me.
6. What do mature Christians see in you? It can’t just be anybody. People see stuff in you all the time, but we must be concerned with what do the spiritually mature folk see in you. Proverbs 18:1: 1Through desire a man, having separated himself, seeketh and intermeddleth with all wisdom. – This speaks of us being in healthy relationships with spiritually mature people.
7. What career or ministry do you feel the peace of God about pursuing? Whatever we do, we must have peace in it. It doesn’t mean that the location of the assignment will have peace, but there should be a peace within you while you do it. If you are trying to find a place of peace in order to justify your purpose, then you will have problems. Remember, as long as people are in it, you will have some tension. This issue is that you can be in a tense situation and still have peace.
Get a clear vision of your desired life:
1. You must be faithful at a certain place in your assignment. Habakkuk 2:1-3: 1I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved. 2And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it. 3For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry. – The scripture seems to indicate in verse one that he will be faithful at a certain place in his assignment. He will stand where he is and keep his spiritual antennas up to be clear on what God was asking him to do next. It is important to be where you are supposed to be in the right season when you are working with vision. When God gets ready to move us or give us additional assignments, we want to be clear on what God is saying. One of the most important sermons Bishop has preached was in 2 Samuel 9. –This is the story of Mephibosheth who is in a place of rejection and isolation. He is in a place where no one remembers him. The king got off his throne one day and asked was there anyone left in the house of Saul that he could show kindness to. Ziba, the servant of the, told him about Mephibosheth. The king wanted to know where he was and though Mephibosheth is in a place where he doesn’t want to be, but this is where his blessing will go and find him. It is in a place of stress and strain. Lots of times we want our purpose or promotion to manifest in places of comfort and ease, but sometimes God say if you can learn to survive in places of stress and strain, that’s where is will reveal purpose and assignment to you. This is why the bible says be steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord. You labor will not be in vain. Stay there until God gets ready for you. God knows exactly where you are.
2. Did you know Jesus had a vision? He had a vision statement. He is our model and if we are going to be in purpose, we have to have a vision statement. Luke 4:16-20: 16And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read. 17And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, 18The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, 19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. 20And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. -Every miracle experience can be traced back to verse 18 and 19 of the previous mentioned scripture. If you don’t know what we are doing, all you have to do is look at our vision.
II. How do we know our vision is right?
1. First seek God for guidance on the individual vision for your future. Proverbs 3:6: 6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. -God will give you direction. If you say to the Lord that you need to know what he wants to do in your life, he will direct your path.
2. Where will you be in the next 3-5 yrs? If you have a vision statement, people want be surprised when you show up years from now, because that you are now is not what you will be in the next 3- 5 yrs. Some people 5 yrs from now will treat you the same as they do now, but you will not be the same person and it will frustrate the relationship, because they refuse to see the vision. You will not be the same person. You don’t live in your not now. You live in your not yet. Everything you do is pressing and stretching towards your not yet.
3. It is up to you to change your direction. Vision is important. Vision creates boundaries for you. We have to reference everything with the boundaries our vision sets.
4. Purpose will not burn you out. When God called Moses, he spoke in a bush on fire and the fire did not consume the bush. This is a symbol that when working in our vision, we will not burn out, but we will burn for that vision. When vision burns you out, then you step out of your original assignment. You can be doing a lot of good stuff, but it won’t be God’s stuff. You cannot boil the ocean. You have to find out what God wants you to do.
5. Make a written plan of action. After you have individual vision in mind, you need to write it down. You have to have a plan. Make steps. Ex- If you were taking a trip your steps would be getting tickets, securing hotel, and etc…You have to keep reading it and speaking it (your vision). It is all about confession as we learned last Sunday.
III. Some questions to consider when writing your personal vision:
1. What are the ten things you most enjoy doing? Be honest. What are ten things that without them, your weeks or months or years would feel incomplete? These must be spiritual things.
2. What 3 things must you do every single day to feel fulfilled in your work?
3. List 5 things most important to your values? Honesty, integrity, etc…
4. Your life has a number of important facets or dimensions. What is one important goal for each of them? For example consider physical requirements, spiritual requirements, work requirements or career requirements, family requirements, social relationships, and etc…
What is your goal for your family or social relationships? Mortgage, living debt free, and etc…
What will be your mental improvement? What degree or training do you want or need to do effectively what God wants you to do. What are you going to do for fun? Do you need to take scheduled time for vacation? You might need to have a balance. As they say work hard, play harder.
5. If you never had to work another day in your life, how would you spend your time? Instead of work what would you do? Ex- Bishop explains how he councils celebrities and they have a hard adjusting after their career is over. After you finish the excitement of winning $50 million, you will notice that something is still missing. This that is missing would probably point to your vision. Prosperity only funds purpose. Prosperity was not intended to sustain you. If you never had to work another day in your life, what would you do?
6. When your life is coming to an end, what will you regret not doing, seeing, or achieving?
Take Action Steps:
1. It is time now. John 9:4: 4I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. It is time to start taking action. Take baby steps and check them off as you go. Some steps will be difficult but you have to pray, get self help books, and do whatever it takes to make the necessary steps. You have to start feeding yourself. God gave Ex- Bishop was called to preach and at this point, he didn’t have vision. He only had assignment. He came to Nashville went to school and when God saw him make an investment in his assignment, he gave him vision. God will not trust us with Vision if we will not invest in it. Bishop explains that he still has accountability partners that text him from time the time and ask what he is reading? When u think about what God showed you, what you are reading in pertaining to that area? What is the most recent article about what you are trying to start? What are you stimulating your conscious with? You have to learn to read stuff. If your down payment was in the book, would you find it? No longer can we think vision year to year, we have to start thinking of the church 2020 where as we used to look towards the year 2010. When we bought the “I-phone, we thought it was the best thing out. Before we knew it, they had come out with something else. This is a technology driven age. No longer can we think day to day. Until you understand the trend, you will be left behind. You can’t have 8-track Ministry in a CD driven generation. Develop skills based on what others have written about the vision you are about to undertake.
2. Each step you have to say you can do this. We have develop an “I can attitude”. Philippians 4:13: 13I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. –We can do all things. We don’t have the money, but we can do this.
3. Wake up!! Life is happening now! Get out the bed. Life is happening now! Give yourself a wakeup call regularly. Ask if you are doing what God called you to do. If you sit back saying you are working on it, then next week you will still be working on it. You got one shot at this. We got to recognize God put something in us so great. This generation needs what we have. If we sit down and don’t do it, we will rob the next generation of their blessing. Ephesians 5:16: 16Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. – This scripture says redeem the time… Last week is a canceled check. Ex – Every morning when Bishop gets up it is dark. He is trying to absorb everything God wants him to do in one day. He wants to maximize his day. We want to say we fought a good race and finished our assignment. The greatest glory you can give God is for you to finish your assignment. Remember the mothers asked for her sons to sit on the right hand side of glory. Glory is finishing your assignment. Jesus came to his glory when he said” it is it is finished”. This meant he finished what God sent him here to do. Proverbs 6:6-11: 6Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: 7Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, 8Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest. 9How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep? 10Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: 11So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man. –You will be mad at others, because you didn’t do what you were supposed to do and others did. The ant doesn’t have a Pastor, yet the ant works and prepares. She has a plan. How long will you sleep? If you do not work and plan, when you get old, your kids will have to take care of you, because you vision was not met. It is never too late. Now is a good time to start over.
IV. Greatest manifestation of purpose in bible:
1. Jesus knew it was time. Matthew 4:12: 12Now when Jesus had heard that John was cast into prison, he departed into Galilee; – The Scribes and Pharasiees got tired of John the Baptist saying that Jesus was coming. Matthew 4:13-16: 13And leaving Nazareth, he came and dwelt in Capernaum, which is upon the sea coast, in the borders of Zabulon and Nephthalim: 14That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, 15The land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles; 16The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up. –It was prophesied where Jesus would be. After John was placed in jail, Jesus knew it was time for his Ministry to start. What God is doing in your life will be like a light in darkness. There are a lot of people doing what you are doing, but what you do will show up like light in darkness. Vision brought light, like when the I-phone showed up, we were all in awe because we could just touch the screen to get what we wanted. We had no framework to really understand it. We were in darkness.
2. Jesus begins to preach. Matthew 4:17-18: 17From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. 18And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. 19And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.20And they straightway left their nets, and followed him. 21And going on from thence, he saw other two brethren, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and he called them. -Jesus stays in his assignment. He started walking by the seashore. Jesus sees two brothers Simon Peter and Andrew his brother. He says to them to follow him and he would make them fishers of men. They left their nets immediately. They didn’t ask questions. They just left. When you are confident about your vision, when you show up with your vision, people will follow you. Nobody will follow you if you are not clear about you vision. When you show up like this is what God called you to do, he will have people in place for you.
3. When you follow people will purpose, you get upgraded. Jesus said in verse 21 that he will make them fishers of men. Jesus already has two with him (name them), and he goes further. They are in a ship. Two brothers are in a ship with their father or someone they have great allegiance to. They re fixing what is broke by mending their nets. They are in a ship that they have great allegiance, trying to fix something broke. Jesus shows up and says to them come follow me and they immediately left the ship. They left what they had allegiance to, because their purpose was greater than what they had allegiance to. If you allow what you have allegiance to, then you will miss your purpose.
4. Jesus went to their traditional of doing things. Matthew 4:23: 23And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.- Jesus went in preaching something that they had never heard before. He went into a traditional way of doing things, doing something the system had never seen before. Remember that they believed you couldn’t put new wine in old wine skins. What is inside of you will be something different than what they have seen before. Ex-Bishop explains when he got to Nashville, people told him that Nashville was a traditional stronghold and he wasn’t going to ever grow a church. He knew God was going to do something through him that hadn’t been done before. When you manifest your purpose, you don’t have to pass your card out. Verse 24 says his fame went all about. Your works will speak for you. When you are doing it right, you don’t have to push it on people, they will follow you. Matthew 4:24: 24And his fame went throughout all Syria: and they brought unto him all sick people that were taken with divers diseases and torments, and those which were possessed with devils, and those which were lunatick, and those that had the palsy; and he healed them. –Last time we checked, God’s goodness and mercy follows you all the days of your life. In the scripture, they started to bring people that were lame and sick in verse 24, and they left healed. You purpose is to solve a problem, not to be a problem. Whatever God is showing you will lead to a problem and you re supposed to solve it. You use the problem as an opportunity. You sit next to problem solver.
5. Jesus represents the people that have vision. Matthew 4:25: 25And there followed him great multitudes of people from Galilee, and from Decapolis, and from Jerusalem, and from Judaea, and from beyond Jordan. – The folk in the temple that got their needs meet (healing and etc…) they followed. Jesus did his job so well; his customer base went where ever he was. If God sends you to Ohio or port Maine, your purpose will always find you. Wherever the sole of your feet tread, God will bless you. What are you passionate about? You do the work. Get a big piece of construction paper or some paper and start writing. People often ask how they go about writing a book? Simply you just write. Ex – Bishop explains that he keeps napkins from the airlines he flies to jot down things God gives him. He explains that a lot of sermons that he preached have come off of those napkins. How much has God let come into your spirit and you let pass, because you didn’t write it down? Even if what you jot down ends up as just a large amount of fragments, write down what God is giving you. Every day ask the Lord to make your vision clearer. It is just like when you go to the doctor and they make you read to lines to check your visions. Some people lye because they don’t want to wear the bifocals. God says if you be honest and acknowledge it, he will adjust it so that you can see.
- growintheword on Just a thought
- Alex on Just a thought
- growintheword on Walking in the Anointing II “Protecting the anointing”, Bible study 04/06/16
- Linda Podkowka on Walking in the Anointing II “Protecting the anointing”, Bible study 04/06/16
- growintheword on Angels & Demons Part I, “The Spiritual World vs. the Physical World” Bible Study 09/15/10