Watch me go through this
Synopsis of Sermon 8/02/09
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Text: Habakkuk 3:19: 19The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds’ feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.
Our lives are constantly on display. People are watching how you go through your problems and they watch how you respond to adversity. The truth is they respect the fact that you keep showing up when life is at its worst. God uses situations to allow us to become evangelistic. Life is UNPREDICTABLE. As the song writer says, “life is filled with swift transition”.
We must recognize that our trials are not about us, but about other people. Through your trails, God may be creating a situation to allow your response to be a testimony to someone else. In the text we see now the minor prophet, in the midst of defeating reality. It is important how you reply in your situation. What you are going thru was designed for the glory of God. God only gets the glory if you go thru your situation like you should. You got to keep your head when others are losing their minds. We have to go thru our trials and tribulations giving God the glory so that others will know that he is able.
If someone is watching you go through your trails, will they know that God is able? The bible declares that in verse 17, they are going through some touchy circumstances. Habakkuk 3:17-18: 17 Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, 18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!
I. How do we respond?
1. How you respond to your situation speaks of your relationship with God. In the scripture (verses 17-18), they were going through a drought. The bible says instead of complaining or giving up, they simply acknowledged the situation. It is alright to acknowledge what you are going through in order to use it as point a reference, so when God delivers us, we can say look at how far God has brought us. The main thing is not to stay there. Habakkuk 3:17-18: 17 Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty,18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!
2. It is ok to acknowledge our problem, but don’t be in denial about it either. Many of us are living with conflicting realties, for example when you end up with more month than money or more problems than answers. What do you do in a situation like this? Because you are in a drought doesn’t mean you have to doubt God.
3. What do you do with conflicting realities like we find in verse 17? Verse 18 says rejoice. You have got to come to the yet in your life, which means God hasn’t delivered you yet. No matter what others do, it is about what you are going to do. Habakkuk 3:18: 18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!
4. We must:
a. Rebel against the circumstances. We might be in a recession, but we refuse to participate in the recession. As children of God, we rebel every attempt the enemy has made to derail our destiny.
b. Rejoice in our covering. If you get a revelation from a sermon, you ought to be thankful for your covering. God sends a tailor made word just for you through your Pastor.
c. Revelation of covenant. We will rejoice in the God of our salvation. In the text, we see the people believed in the practice of Soteriology or the thought that one needs to be saved. However, in their situation, they realized that through their resources, they could not save themselves. Ex-People call 911, because what is in their medicine cabinet is not enough. Just like this it is not enough to rely on ourselves. If the people that are in the text are going to come out of their situation, it has to be God that brings them out. God is our 911. We know that if God brings them out, he can bring us out. How do respond going though your situation? Do you trip or do your rest in the glory of your salvation?
5. What does God do while we are waiting on him? When we get through going through the motion of saying he is able, the fact still remains that the money still isn’t in the bank. What do we do then? We refer to the next point.
II. He restored our strength.
1. The Lord God is our strength. Circumstances can drain us. Sometimes as saved people, we try to act like we don’t know what it feels like to be tired. The truth is that it is hard trying to help others, trying to make them think all is well, yet you all the while you are drained. You have to realize that the Lord God is your strength. You can appreciate his strength because you acknowledge his dominion.
2. God has the power to change your circumstance. We didn’t get into school, because we were always doing what was right. We didn’t get that job, because we always did right either. Sometimes we just got in by default. We tried other things and it didn’t work and then finally we decided to try the Lord.
3. We must know:
a. God is active
b. We must acknowledge God’s abundance. When you say something behind our name, it simply leaves a question. Example: Joseph is? If someone said this, your answer would be, Joseph is what. When you say the Lord is, it answers the question that was asked. He not only gives peace, he is peace. When we recognize the Lord is, it gives us determination. Just when you think you can’t take any more, God steps in.
4. God has indicators that let us know that we need him. Example: Bishop explains walking through the park with his Palm Treo. Remember Shakespeare says there are sermons in stones. Bishop says his phone starts beeping. The phone was trying to tell him that he needed to end the call. This was an indicator that Bishop needed to plug his phone up to a source of power so that it would be recharged. When you speak to somebody on your job in unknown tongue (cursing), it is an indicator for you to recharge or get plugged into your source of power. Some of you reading this might hurt somebody on the job if you don’t get plugged into your source of power soon! We give God the glory, because he restores our strength.
III. He raise my status
1. God will raise your status while you are praising him. He will not leave you where he found you. You need people around you that are willing to empower you. If they are not willing to empower you, then they are not your friends. Iron sharpens iron. The prophet says God will make a demand upon your life.
2. In verse 19, God wants the best for us. This is a metaphor that is talking about the red female deer or the gazelle. The gazelle is a creature that is used as an example of what God does with us. 19 The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights
3. Hinds feet mentioned in this scripture were prepared for:
a. Steep climbs.
b. Allowed the gazelle to be swift.
c. Allowed the gazelle to be stable. God says what I let go through in verse 17, was designed for your destiny. Habakkuk 3:17: 17 Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, -As you responded accordingly, God is going to make your feet like hinds feet. Feet deal with purpose or destiny Ex-The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord…or … How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things. The devil tries to tell you that you will stay in your situation in verse 17. Remember we are rebels. We rebel against things of the world. If we have destination to get to, then we issue over how God will move us from 17 to 19. How will God get us from barrenness to having the blessing so the gazelle? While we were trusting in God to be our strength, he gave us something that we could not give ourselves. When everyone else is looking at other obstacles, God makes our feet like hinds feet. We are able or have the ability to go higher. We are able to see what others can’t see. The next time you see me I will be at another altitude. You can see yourself overcoming obstacles. Many of you can testify that it takes hinds feet to make it where you work at.
d. Made us Swift. God makes the gazelle fast and swift enough to overcome obstacles. So fast one moment you can look up and they are there, but the next minute they are gone. There are some things you are believing God for. You have been so faithful; God is going to do a swift turn around for you.
e. Hinds fee are also stable. They can go to rough terrain and still be stable. This generation is so unstable; God will bless those who are stable. God will honor stability. God will make you ruler over much. God allowed you to go through this for his glory. This is just a test for building up for who you will become.