Questions every Christian should be able to answer Part II
“Who is God” (continued)
Synopsis of Bible Study 07/08/09
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
For the sake of reviewing, let’s try recapping some of the stuff that we learned in Part I. First of all,
God is self existent, because God exists by himself.
God is infinite, because God has no limits.
God is eternal, because we know God always existed and there will never be a time where God will not exist.
God is immutable which means God cannot change.
God is omnipotent meaning he is all powerful. He is omnipresent meaning God is always present, and he is omniscient meaning he is all knowing.
God is a spirit
1. John 4:24 says God is a spirit and they that worship him must do so in spirit in truth. John 4:24: 24God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
2. God doesn’t have any physical limitations, doesn’t have a tangible body, and is not limited by space and time. God is spirit. Why is this significant? Since God is a spirit, in order for us to have an encounter with him, we must be spiritual also. Remember when Adam was created, he was just a fleshly being. He was not living. He only became a living being after God blew his breath (translated from the word rauh) into Adam. In other words, God blew his spirit into Adam and caused him to live .
3. The image of God is the spirit of God inside of us. Often times we think images are what we look like on the outside such as our hair or our nails or our clothes, but this is not what God is hung up on. God is talking about what is on the inside of us or what is supposed to look like him. This is our spirit. Therefore, the way we are supposed to worship him does not involve carnality. It involves our spirit.
4. We must worship God in the spirit. Flesh cannot glory in his presence. We have to submit our self and humble ourselves and worship him. Everything that we do should be for the glory of God in order to bring worship to him. As a result, we cannot do it in our flesh, because our egos and our pride prevent us from being successful at this. When we surrender ourselves to God, we say to God that the only way we can get to him is by the spirit, because we realize and acknowledge that he is a spirit. Therefore when we pray, we must pray in the spirit, when we come to the church, we must do so in the spirit. Everything about God is tied to the spirit. The spirit bears witness with the spirit. God is spirit.
God is Holy
1. God is holy according to 1 Peter 1:16: 16Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. God is holy. God says be holy, because he is holy. Holiness is important. To say God is holy, we acknowledge that God is above all else.
2. God is above anything else that is holy. God is the standard for holiness. There are some people that want to believe that they are a Jesus Jr. The truth is none of us are Jesus Jr. We are all in pursuit of holiness. We are all trying to be like him, but the reality is none of us are where God is (his level of holiness).We are all in pursuit of holiness and holiness can be attainted. It has nothing to do with the clothes we wear or how long our dress is or whether we wear makeup or not. Holiness is about a lifestyle, because God is holy. Remember around the heavenly throne all day long they say holy, holy, holy. In other words, God you are above everyone else. You are the paradigm or you are the standard for purity and holiness. As a result, if we are in relationship with him, then we too must pursue holiness.
God is Just
1. When many of us go to God, we don’t understand our holiness. It is because we haven’t gotten intimate in our relationship with him and allowed our self to become vulnerable. At this point you see God as he really is. The closer you get to God, the more you see yourself as unholy. As a result, what you do through worship is surrender yourself by saying whatever is in you, take it out. We do this because we worship him in spirit and in truth. In other words, we ask God to tell us the truth about ourselves. He then tells us what we have to work on. This is why some people don’t like to worship. They realize that it makes them exposed and vulnerable. They have to see themselves for what they really are.
2. God is just. He is completely right and just in all his moral dealings. Acts 17:31:
31 For he has set a day for judging the world with justice by the man he has appointed, and he proved to everyone who this is by raising him from the dead.” -God will judge the world through Jesus Christ. There is no injustice that will go unpunished by God. God is the ultimate judge. You and I do not stand in a moral position to judge anybody. Only God is a judge. That’s why the bible says that vengeance is mines saith the Lord. When you experience injustices in your life, you got to know that God is just.
3. You got to know that God will make the crooked places straight. God will always make the rough places smooth. God will always handle your enemy. You don’t ever have to try to vindicate yourself or get back at folk. All you have to do is stand still and watch the Lord fight your battles. Live long enough and you will see the justice of God come to pass. Do you not remember Psalms 37 when the word said fret not yourselves of evil doers neither be envious of the workers of iniquity. They shall soon be cut down like grass. Guess who does the cutting? God does. You better be careful how you treat some folk. The bible says touch not my anointed and do my prophets no harm.
God is merciful
1. God provides what man needs. Ephesians 2:4: 4 But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, -God is rich in mercy. This means he holds back consequences that we should have endured.
2. When you have been the recipient of God’s mercy, it is easy for you to extend mercy to someone else. The fact that God is merciful makes us understand why we wake up every morning and receive such gratuitous endowments or things that we don’t deserve that God just gave to us because he is so merciful. His mercy is everlasting. His truth endures through all generations. When we wake up in the morning, we wake up with mercy. When we get in our car, this is mercy. When we are able to eat breakfast, this is mercy. When we get on the interstate and drive home without having an accident, this is mercy. Things that could have happened to you, yet didn’t are all examples of God’s mercy. When you understand how merciful God is, there is no way you can come in the house of God and not have something to give him praise for. If nothing else, you thank God for his your mercy.
God is love
1. I don’t care what you have done, or who doesn’t love you, God loves you. God’s love is immeasurable. It can’t be qualified. God’s love is so amazing it is agape. Agape is unconditional love. There is another kind of love that is called Philos. Philos is where we get the city Philadelphia the city of brotherly love. Then there is another kind of love called Eros named after the Greek god of love. This is where we get the word erotic. God’s agape love is amazing because it suggest that God has no conditions on which he loves us. Unlike other people, God doesn’t have to have certain conditions to love you. God just loves us without conditions.
2. Love cannot be defined by the lovee. It can only be defined by the lover. The lover is the giver, the levee is the recipient. So the love cannot be defined by the lovee. It is only defined by the lover. The lover knows how to love the lovee, because the lovee hasn’t learned how to learn the lover. Because of this, the lover loves the lovee until the lovee learns how to love them back. That is what you call unconditional love. God loved us first. We didn’t even know how to love him. We were naughty by nature, but thank God he loved us until we learned how to love him back. Some people have been in church for 20yrs but just learned how to love him last year. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that we might have life more abundantly. God loves us until it doesn’t make any sense. 1 John4:8: 8 But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
God is faithful
1. God keeps his word and his promises. He is dependable in a world where people don’t keep their word. Some people just volunteer lies. They will tell you a lie, when it isn’t even necessary. Psalm 89:1: 1 I will sing of the Lord’s unfailing love forever! Young and old will hear of your faithfulness. -God keeps his promises. He does what he says he is going to do. You might not know when it is going to happen, but know that it is going to happen.
2. God is faithful. To see how faithful God is, just compare it to how unfaithful we are. Through all our unfaithfulness, God stands by us the whole time. God has always come through on his word. Jeremiah reflected over his life in lamentations 3. He says he was about to give up, but it was because of the Lord’s mercy that he was not consumed. God gives us brand new mercies every day. He went on to say great is God’s faithfulness in verse 23. When you think about how faithful God has been to you, all you have to do is reflect on every time you went out there and messed up and every time you stopped coming to church, and you have no choice but to realize that God received you and was still there to love on you despite what you did. God is faithful.
God is good
1. God is good and all the time and all the time God is good. God’s goodness cannot be interpreted by circumstances. His goodness is only interpreted by relationship. Some people only interpret the goodness of God based on their circumstances. These people don’t have a relationship with God. This is why they look at circumstances and say if God is love, why does he let bad things happen. They try to interpret the love of God based on their circumstances. There are a lot of people that do stuff to you that don’t love you, but God loves you. You can’t base love on circumstances.
2. The reality is God’s love is based on relationship. When we know God, then we begin to understand that whatever God allows to happen is always for our good. Circumstances don’t dictate God’s goodness. Whether circumstances are up or down, sweet or sour, it never eradicates the fact that God is still good. If we lose ever thing we got, we still realize that God is still good. If we get a bad report, God is still good. If we lose our job, God is still good.
3. Why is God good no matter what happens bad or good? Because we know all things work together for the good of them that love God and are called to his purpose. God is always moving in our life, so we have to say God is still good. We don’t know what he is up to or how things will end. If it wasn’t good to us, it must have been good for us. There were moments when things were crazy in our lives, but when we look back over our life, we have to say to God that it was good that we were afflicted. There are some people that have learned how to thank God for what we are still complaining over. Even when we got played it was good, because we will never be played again. Even though we were involved with fake friends, we know who our real friends are from now on. You ought to thank God for your mountains, your valleys, and the storms he brought you through.
God is patient.
1. We contribute to God’s patience. We are one of the reasons he is patient. 2 Peter 3:9: 9 The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent. -God doesn’t take us out, because he is longsuffering and patient.
GOD IS NOT ONLY KNOWN BY HIS ATTRIBUTES, HE IS KNOWN BY HIS MANY NAMES.
Some of these names you may have never heard before. Though they may not all appear that way in the bible, we will show you how they are translated in the bible.
JEHOVAH: -self existing one. This means whatever happens behind Jehovah can only be done by God.
ELOHIM: the strong one. In Genesis 1:1-Elohim created. Before he created there was nothing but chaos. God brought order in the midst of chaos.
ADONAI: – means Lord or master. In Isaiah 6, Isaiah said he saw the lord high and lifted up. Lord means over and master suggests that God is the ruler.
EL ELYON: -Most high. Isaiah 14:18-20. This means nothing is higher than God. The stuff that is over your head is still under his feet.
EL ROI: -strong one who sees. Genesis 13:16-God is so strong and he can see our destiny. Take the events that happened over the last 30days. Imagine if you could have gone back in time before it happened. Now you come back into the present and were able to know what nobody else knows about what was going to happen. Just like this, God is privy to what is going to happen before it happens and he makes allowances for what is going to happen.
EL SHADDAI: -the almighty God Genesis 17:1-20-There is nothing to hard for God. He can rearrange things to bless us that were not designed to bless me.
EL-OLAM: – everlasting God. God is eternal. Genesis 21:33, Isaiah 40:28
JEHOVAH-JIREH: -the lord who will provide. Genesis 22 -God provided for Abraham in place of him killing his son. This means God is our source. This means God never intended our job to take care of us. Our job was only given for us to plant seed. God never said job jireh. If our job is supposed to be our source, what will you do when you get laid off?
JEHOVAH-NISSI: -the lord my banner. He goes before us. Exodus 7:15-the Lord goes before us in battle. God works stuff out before you get there.
JEHOVAH-ROHI: -this means the lord my shepherd. Psalms 23-Shepards have sheep and sheep follow shepherds. Their success and survival depends on the shepherd.
JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH: -the lord who is present. Isaiah 48:35-he is always there.
JEHOVAH-SABAOTH: -the lord of hosts. Isaiah 44:6-God is in control. He is control of everything. Everything pays homage to him. Even the heavenly hosts give him glory.
Jehovah Hoseenu:-the Lord our maker. Psalms 95:6-God created us and not we ourselves. Being made by him, we must do what he created us to do.
JEHOVAH-ROPHE: -one who heals. Exodus 15.26-he says he is healer. God is the ultimate healer. God healed you, but you took the medicine. He made it possible. Some people won’t take their medicine, because they believe God for their healing. God says take your medicine. This is why God made physicians. He made them to execute his healing. God heals in a variety of ways. It is not always instantaneous.
JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU -the lord our righteous. Jeremiah 23:6-He is the righteous one. The key word of righteous is right.
JEHOVAH-M’KADDESH: – the lord who sanctifies. Leviticus 20:8 – Sanctification is not a denomination. It is a process that we go through where God works on us. He is cleaning us up from the inside out. When you get your car washed it gets exposed to the elements which is the reason we take it to the carwash. Some of us short of change will just ask for an outside wash. Some people do the same with their sanctification. They just want to be sanctified on the outside. Some people want the full service. Some people want a detailed job where ever little corner is cleaned. We all should want to have our sanctification detailed.
JEHOVAH-SHALOM: -God of peace. Judge 6:23-Gideon was getting ready to go to battle and he was worried about being out numbered. God told him to downgrade. He told him, “peace be onto you”.
Why are these names important?
People that know God will do great things, because they understand all the attributes of God- Daniel 11:32: 32And such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he corrupt by flatteries: but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits.
Those who know their God will be made strong. Our goal is to motivate you to know God. Philippians 4:13: 13I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me