Killer Sex Part IV
How to stay Holy when you are horny“
Bible Study 04/22/09
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Today we explore the issue of “How to stay holy when you are horny”. There is this tension in all of us when we are saved. Although it might sound odd, it is just a reality. Some try to pretend that they don’t have these thoughts, because they are saved, but for the most part, this is not true. How do you reconcile this issue of being horny? The truth is this is real stuff and the church needs to talk about it.
8 And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein. 9 No lion shall be there, nor any ravenous beast shall go up thereon, it shall not be found there; but the redeemed shall walk there: 10 And the ransomed of the LORD shall return, and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away. Isaiah 35:8-10 (KJV)-Where is this place, this scripture is talking about? Is it a physical place? No it is a spiritual place. How do we arrive at this place called holiness? The true way to deal with this is to adapt to a lifestyle of holiness. In the past, many people tried to achieve holiness through clothing, for example long skirts, women not wearing pants, no makeup, no jewelry and etc… The problem with this was despite what people wore or didn’t wear, people still ended up pregnant, drunk, and on drugs. It was obvious that this was not the key to holiness.
It is important to know what holiness means. Holiness is tied to sanctification which means to be separated or set apart unto God. Birds of a feather flock together so naturally a person trying to achieve holiness would not hang around with crowds of people that are not trying to live Holy.
God knows that we do not often have the power to separate ourselves from things. 26 And ye shall be holy unto me: for I the LORD am holy, and have severed you from other people, that ye should be mine. Lev 20:26 (KJV)-God severed some relationships on purpose, because they would be unfruitful for you. We don’t have the power to sever these relationships on our own, because we are emotional and loyal. Some people are still kicking and screaming over people God severed out of their lives, but they should be rejoicing over this. These things that God removed were hindrances to where God was taking them. There are some people you can’t simple be in relationship with when you are trying to live for God.
God severs us of:
1. Our possessions: God separates our possessions. 14 And when a man shall sanctify his house to be holy unto the LORD, then the priest shall estimate it, whether it be good or bad: as the priest shall estimate it, so shall it stand. 15 And if he that sanctified it will redeem his house, then he shall add the fifth part of the money of thy estimation unto it, and it shall be his. Lev 27:14-15 (KJV)-In the Old Testament we find that whenever what priest would sanctify would be valued more. You could have an expensive house, but it could be cheap as it relates to a house of equal value that had been sanctified. Just like this, everything that comes into our hands, we must bless or sanctify. We have to ask God to bless everything we posses so that spirits do not try and take it over. On your job, bless your space and any money you make you need to bless. There are spirits out there looking for access.
2. Our place: 16 For now have I chosen and sanctified this house, that my name may be there for ever: and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually. 2 Chron 7:16 (KJV)-God establishes the places that he wants you to dwell. God wants you to be where he is. God wants you to be in his will. When you understand holiness, you understand that God wants you to be around the right people and in the right place. We have to ask God to bless where we go and the money that comes into our hands. If Satan can get you around the right people, he knows that he can get you to spend the money you made in the wrong places for the wrong reasons.
• Sanctification is not only being separated from sin, it is being separated from the world. Sanctification is not a denomination as some people think. It is part of the process of salvation. 1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: Romans 5:1 (KJV). God is everyday saving us from things that hinder us from being close to him.
• When we are burdened and oppressed, you are vulnerable to sin 1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Heb 12:1 (KJV)-in past sermons, we tied sin and weight together as one thing. We identified it as that which has burdened or oppressed us. When we are burdened and oppressed, you are vulnerable to sin. When you are burdened down, you need something to hook you up. You are looking for something to minister to you, but Satan that only builds you up temporary.
• Jesus tells us to bring our burdens to him and he will give us rest. Whatever is burdening us down, God says bring to him and he will give you what you need without exploiting you (unlike Satan). We not only need to lay aside the weight, we need to be freed of the behavior the weight caused.
• Since God is Holy, this should be our aim also. 7 Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the LORD your God. Lev 20:7 (KJV) -We must understand that without holiness we can’t see God. 14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Heb 12:14 (KJV) –Without holiness, we can’t see the Lord. If God is Holy, we must be holy when we come to him. The closer we get to God, the clearer we become. The Enemy is trying to pull us away from God. All of us have challenges in our flesh. Sometimes we struggle within ourselves, because we don’t understand why despite how good we try to be, we still have sexual issues. Ex-Let’s just assume that everyone reading this deep down in their heart wants to be a Christian. Assuming that this is right we can bet that you still get horny despite your desire to be a good Christian. If you are not horny ever, we are concerned about you, because this is something that is natural. Knowing this, the question becomes, “How do we manage it?” Remember being horny is not the sin. Acting on it is.
Do you know one of the most vulnerable moments you will have is right after church?
• We worship God, but it is the most vulnerable thing you do. When you worship, you step outside of your flesh. When you worship, your spirit abandons your flesh. If it is just a worship experience for you, then you will fall back into your flesh when the worship is over. A true worshipper doesn’t do this. Because your flesh is neglected during worship, your flesh is hyper needy. Ex-Remember when Jesus was baptized (a great event), he was led to the garden to fast. After his body had been neglected from the fast, Satan came in to tempt Jesus. When we get back in the flesh, we have to get back living in the spirit. We have to keep crucifying our flesh daily so this can be achieved. It is more than a worship experience. It should be a worship lifestyle
• The plot of sin is to get us further away from God. 1 Behold, the LORD’S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: 2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. Isaiah 59:1-2 (KJV) -not that God is not there, your iniquities cause distance between you and God. 5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Eph 5:5 (KJV).
• When you got saved, you signed up for sanctification. 13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: 2 Thess 2:13 (KJV) -there is no salvation without sanctification. Ex-You get saved, but you don’t yield to process of sanctification. You think rejoining the church 50 times will do it. Sanctification is an eternal reality. Whatever is in us, we have to ask the Lord to take it out. We open ourselves up to Devine Scrutiny.
• Our vessel must be clean. 20 And they shall bring all your brethren for an offering unto the LORD out of all nations upon horses, and in chariots, and in litters, and upon mules, and upon swift beasts, to my holy mountain Jerusalem, saith the LORD, as the children of Israel bring an offering in a clean vessel into the house of the LORD.Isaiah 66:20 (KJV) -We are talking about what we offer to God, for example our gifts, our talents, and our worship. It must be bought in clean vessels. Ex-If we lick the rim of a cup and we offer to someone, they would not drink from the glass. Nothing is wrong with water inside, but there is a vessel problem. People will not receive what is in the vessel, because the vessel is tainted. With the water symbolizing blessings, we must know that blessings are hindered because of the mess found on some people’s vessel. People don’t look for perfection, but they want to see people that are at least a trying as carriers of their blessings. The thing that makes us tainted is our habits or being repeat offenders. 4 For it is impossible to restore to repentance those who were once enlightened—those who have experienced the good things of heaven and shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the power of the age to come— 6 and who then turn away from God. It is impossible to bring such people to repentance again because they are nailing the Son of God to the cross again by rejecting him, holding him up to public shame. Heb 6:4-6 (NLT) – We keep becoming repeat offenders, making it hard for others to repent.
If we know we have struggles in the flesh, and we desire holiness, how do we achieve holiness? After all, we are not wired to be holy. By nature we were naughty.
• It is the work of the Holy Spirit. You can’t do it cognitively or in your head. You can’t mentally overcome everything, because you can be talked out of stuff in your head. Ex-Bishop explains that he hasn’t had dessert in about 2 yrs. He explains that while trying to refrain from what he felt was harmful, people have tried to push him into the temptation of eating desserts. He admits that though he tries to stay strong, there are times the mind tries to play tricks on him. For example, “As hard as you worked, you deserve it” or “One scoop is not going to hurt you”. It is the power of the Holy Ghost that sustains you. The Holy Ghost brings back to memory what you have been taught. He is there to help us.
• Through chastening us-God can get us to holiness by whipping us. 10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. 11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. Heb 12:10-11 (KJV) -No one is joyous through a spanking, but afterwards it produces righteousness. Righteousness is exercised by those that got whippings. God sometime whips us to prevent us from walking outside holiness. Ex-When we were kids, sometimes we got the privilege of watching others get whipped for something we should have gotten whipped for. Sometimes God will allow you to see others get whipped. After seeing this, why would you do something that God whipped another person for? God will let you see what should have happened to you. God chastens us because he loves us, but the whole time we are being whipped; his hands are still on us.
• By the word of God. 9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word. Psalms 119:9 (KJV) -How can someone get their life together? By taking heed to God’s word. God sent his word, because it is his word that shuts you down. God’s word will convict you sometimes before you do what you are planning to do. All you got to do is take head of this word. Obedience is better than sacrifice. 3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. John 15:3 (KJV)-You are made whole or purified by the word. God talks about the word in portion of the Bible by using milk and meet as symbols. If we use this same analogy, when we get full of word, we won’t want to be filled by something else.
• By faith. 24 For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord. Acts 11:24 (KJV)
• By prayer. 12 And may the Lord make your love grow and overflow to each other and to everyone else, just as our love overflows toward you. 13 As a result, Christ will make your hearts strong, blameless, and holy when you stand before God our Father on that day when our Lord Jesus comes with all those who belong to him. 1 Thess 3:12-13 (NLT)-We must pray for humility and the ability to make right decision.
• Heat of struggle. Paul says that the things he don’t want to, he keeps doing. In other words, we try to do right and we keep slipping up. In all of our lives, there is a struggle going on. It is a struggle between the flesh and spirit. The more you neglect your flesh, the louder your flesh will holler.
You got to recognize these 5 things to put things in perspective
• Know your purpose- 6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: Phil 1:5-6 (KJV) -God dropped something in you. God is not going to let you mess up that deposit. He will keep reminding you that he put it there. Isn’t it amazing when you do something and that small voice inside you tells you that you know better? This is why we try to hide our church peripheral when we are doing wrong. We try to shut that voice up, but it doesn’t work. You end up with God pulling you back continuously.
• Put your past in perspective- 13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Phil 3:13-14 (KJV)-Stop beating yourself up over mistakes made in your past. Everybody has some skeletons of some kind in their closet. Let it go, don’t hold yourself hostage. 1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Romans 8:1 (KJV) – You can’t go to your destination by holding on to the past.
• You might experience some pain. Why did God allow us to get hurt? Our hurt was about creating dependence on God. He wanted to develop us to know where to go when we are hurting. 6 For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me. 7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. 8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. 2 Cor 12:6-8 (KJV) -God says whenever he allows pain, you have a choice. You can allow it to get exploited or allow his grace to sustain you. God wants us to choose to draw close to him. 7 For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease. Job 14:7 (KJV-Even though we made some mistakes, we have some roots. This is what makes us come back. There is more to us than can be seen. Who we really are is like roots, buried into the earth.
• There will be some Purging- 7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Psalms 51:7 (KJV) -We want to be purified.
• God will purify us. 14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. Titus 2:14 (KJV) – we are suppose to be different and excited by doing good works.
We are horny, but we are supposed to be holy. How do we deal with this? How do we get this out of us? Imagine that there is a towel. This towel has purpose. This towel will do what it was designed to do. If the towel is dirty, we won’t use it. This is what our life is like. We have been in some low places, kicked around, stepped on, and passed around by people that didn’t know our purpose. Instead of wiping their face with us (representative of our purpose) they whipped something else with us. We got dirty and stained. Now we are just over here alone. We are at the altar and everybody says, ‘ewwhh what you going do with that?” We ask the lord the same thing. What can he possibly do with us?” How do we get these stains out of us? We would like for it to be instantaneous change. We won’t to be made whole quickly. One thing is for sure, we have to realize that it took years for these stains to get on us. We can’t settle for looking good from a distance, we want the real thing. We want our spirit man to be greater than our issue. We ask God to help us, but know that removing the stains ain’t going to feel good. God has to cause some friction, pain, and tumbling and more friction. There is more friction allowed and as a result, more things fall off. There are people in your life that meant you no good, but hung on. The friction, was so they would fall off. God fixed it so you wouldn’t be able to give anymore and so others fell off. When you get done, you will thank God for the journey. The good thing about it is when he is done; there will be no evidence of what you have gone through. You are so close to a miracle, all you have to do is look at your neighbor to see how close you are. They have been passed around and abused, but look at them. You can’t even tell. If it is your desire to be purified and it is in your heart, God can do it.