Killer Sex Part I
“Sprit of Lust”
Bible Study 04/02/09
Delivered by Bishop Walker
Our focus in this series will be to explore how dysfunctional sexual relationships can destroy our destiny. We will be putting it into perspective of how we struggle with this issue as Christians. Please not that this series will be real and upfront and will not resemble what is traditionally taught in the church.
Today we will be dealing with the spirit of lust. Despite your struggles against impure thoughts, how fervent you are in prayer, or despite your ability to rebuke the devil, don’t think it strange that you still struggle with lust. In fact it can be quite discouraging dealing with this issue. Many people wonder within themselves how you get this issue under control. We are talking to the real people tonight that find themselves struggling with this issue of lust.
II Samuel 13 (read this text)
Amnon is the son of King David. Amnon has this lust spirit and it is so out of control, he sets his eyes on his sister in a way that would be considered inappropriate. You don’t hear this subject being preached much, these days, but it is in the text. Amnon manipulates a situation and forcefully rapes his sister when she comes in to take care of him. Her name is Tamar. Tamar and Amnon’s brother Absalom found out about this act and is totally upset and plots to kill Amnon. Translation: Here is a brother whose lust is so out of control. He imposes his issue of lust upon his sister. Now all their relationships will be messed up because Amnon let his lust issue get out of control.
You must remember the following.
1. You are not alone
2. 2. God loves you.
3. You cannot overcome this by yourself.
4. God has a plan for your victory.
What is lust? It is an inappropriate desire or obsession to enjoy something that is not rightfully or appropriately yours to enjoy. It is often attracted to that which is considered out of bounds. It operates in sin.
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. Romans 6:12 (KJV) -reign means control. Don’t let sin control you. Sin is the manifestation for what the lust does. Now you are being led by lust.
The sin is not in looking. There is nothing wrong with looking but when it moves to lust then you have a problem. Lust leads to sin. 28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. Matt 5:28 (KJV)
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. 1 John 2:15-17 (KJV). If you think about it, your favorite video, or your favorite audio track, or your favorite realty show is probably referred to in verse 16. The world uses lust to gain our interest. This is however temporary, but love of God is forever.
I. The source of Lust:
a. Temptation doesn’t come from God. 13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: James 1:13 (KJV)
b. Sin separates us from God. 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. James 1:14-15 (KJV)- once you start operating in sin, you start moving away from everything that reminds you of where you are supposed to be, mainly God. Now everything you do is about feeding the flesh, and not your Spirit Man inside you. Now your flesh has become stronger than the Spirit Man. Satan draws you away from God with what is already in you. Ex-Bishop Walker explains that if there were four body builders down standing at the front of the church with muscles shirts on, it would bother some women. He explains to us that it would not bother him, because this is not his issue, but some women might tell Bishop they couldn’t handle that distraction. Because this is not an issue for Bishop, Satan would not use them to tempt him. Satan knows how to tempt you where you are. He wouldn’t tempt us with crack, if crack is not our issue. The devil only entices you with what’s already in you. Once he entices you are drawn away. You can also be enticed by your curiosity. Curiosity occupies mental space. Once this space is occupied, then you create fantasies and relationships with people in your spirit and in your head that you haven’t even met yet. As a result you will wait for the right time and place to make those fantasies a reality. This is where the lust originally conceives and once it conceives it brings forth death because nothing good can come from it. Death will come in different forms such as death of relationships and friendships. In Christ you are hidden from all of that, because of his protection. The further you get from God, the closer you get to death, because the wages of sin is death.
c. You need Christ, because you flesh is a mess. 1 Once you were dead, doomed forever because of your many sins. 2 You used to live just like the rest of the world, full of sin, obeying Satan, the mighty prince of the power of the air. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. 3 All of us used to live that way, following the passions and desires of our evil nature. We were born with an evil nature, and we were under God’s anger just like everyone else. Eph 2:1-3 (NLT)
II. Look at the lust of flesh
6 The woman was convinced. The fruit looked so fresh and delicious, and it would make her so wise! So she ate some of the fruit. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her. Then he ate it, too. Gen 3:6 (NLT).
Problems with lust
a. Look at this Lust of flesh-Eve saw that tree was good for food. What were the rules of the garden? What was the significance of not touching the tree? It is like the thinks we know we ought not to have is more enticing, but more available to us. Ex- Somebody puts up a trespass sign up and we want to go over there any way, because we wonder what they are being so secretive about. The devil came in trying to convince Eve that the fruit wasn’t harmful as she believed. This next sentence, you need to think of in terms of lust when you read it. When you are hungry, you will eat anything in reach. There were other trees in the garden, but Eve was hungry. When you are hungry you will satisfy your hungry even if it means breaking rules. When you got an itch you will eventually scratch it. When you hot, and it has been a while, you justify your act by saying you were hungry. Eve saw that the fruit was good for food and she took it. Ex-Men typically go after an apple (referring to particular type of woman). One bite and you get straight to the core. Some people it doesn’t take much work to get to the core. The only problem is you don’t know what worms are in the core and whose hands have been on it. An orange (referring to another type of woman) is different. It has a natural protective layer. You have to take your time and peel it to get to the fruit.
b. The next thing Eve experienced was lust of the eyes- The fruit was a delight to the eyes. It is the stuff that looks good to you that compromises your integrity. It can be the right swagger or education we are all over it. This is about something that is powerful enough to cause you to take your eyes off of Jesus.
c. She experienced a boastful pride for life-Eve thought the fruit would make her wise. In other words, if you get this person you desire, it will affirm you. It becomes like a trophy or a star in your black book. This is how lust works. It makes you think you are getting something you are not getting. Looking again at Genesis 3:6, Eve convinced herself that she was so hungry she got a piece. As a result, she even tainted her relationship with her own husband. He had no backbone, and Adam ate the fruit too. As a result they lost the whole garden over a piece. God set them up for life, and they destroyed it over a piece. Think about losing all you have over a piece.
d. Lust has a ritual. Lust will build around its expression in your life. You will find yourself building your vacation around your lust. When you approach the city, you think about what lustful things you can get in. You will do business with particular clients that you can act on your lusts with. Ex- David was on the roof, when the Kings went to war. David was out of place. Notice the Devil gets us when we are where we are not supposed to be. Sometimes we are where we are not supposed to be, but have no attention of sinning. David accidently saw Bathsheba because she wasn’t where she was supposed to be either. He kept coming back though to take a peek. Sin keeps you playing longer than you want to play, staying longer than you want to stay, and paying more than you want to pay.
III. The deceptions of lust
a. Lust will tell you that it will satisfy you. It may feel like it satisfied you, but if you are really saved, sin will weigh you down. That guilt you have is sin, the yoke. It will burden you down.
b. Secondly, Sin will tell you that you will be satisfied. Ex-This will be the last time your sin partner may say. The truth is you will never be satisfied. Sin promises what it won’t deliver and delvers what it will never confess.
God’s solution to your lust problems
Jacob loved Joseph his son so much that his brothers hated him. They hated him so much; they put him in a pit to die. They ended up selling him into slavery. Joseph ends up in power of the land of Egypt. He finds favor with Potiphar who is just under the Pharaoh.
Joseph shows up in Egypt as the new kid on the block. When you are new, you become the one with the bull’s eye on your back. Joseph found himself in the house in a vulnerable situation, but he was faithful and he made the choice to remain that way.
1. Joseph chose to keep himself clean. 7 And it came to pass after these things, that his master’s wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me. Gen 39:7 (KJV) – Notice, right after Joseph’s promotion, his master’s wife cast her eyes upon Joseph. She asks him to sleep with her.
2. Integrity before pleasure. 8 But he refused, and said unto his master’s wife, Behold, my master wotteth not what is with me in the house, and he hath committed all that he hath to my hand; 9 There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God? Gen 39:8-9 (KJV). Joseph was not willing to comprise his integrity for a moment of sexual pleasure.
3. Joseph set ministry before his enjoyment. You have to place value in your position with God.
4. Chose to be consistently clean. 10 And it came to pass, as she spake to Joseph day by day, that he hearkened not unto her, to lie by her, or to be with her. Gen 39:10 (KJV) – .If the devil can’t get at you one way, he will change his tactics.
5. You have to know when you are being set up. 11 And it came to pass about this time, that Joseph went into the house to do his business; and there was none of the men of the house there within. Gen 39:11 (KJV). Potiphar’s wife wanted to get with Joseph and she made sure no one was there. It’s one thing to say no when someone is there, but another when no one is around. Ex-Bishop Walker explains that a great mentor of his once told him some great advice. He said the mentor told him to treat everything like a set up.
6. Don’t minimize the level of temptation. 12 And she caught him by his garment, saying, Lie with me: and he left his garment in her hand, and fled, and got him out. Gen 39:12 (KJV). Egyptian women are some of the most beautiful women in the world. Joseph’s great- great- grandfather had a wife that was barren (Sarah). Abraham didn’t protest but went right on in to his maiden when she was offered to him. As we look at verse 11 & 12 of Genesis again, we cannot underestimate the severity of the situation that Joseph was in. It is one thing to say no when people are there, but what about when no one is around. Potiphar’s wife caught Joseph by what he had on which was just a robe. This was his last line of defense. Imagine, no one was home and nothing was under the robe and Potiphar’s wife had this garment in her hand. The scripture says, Joseph left his garment behind and ran. This means he probably ran down the street naked. We should learn from this that even if you have to leave stuff behind that means something to you, you must run away from this sin. You have to know within yourself when it is time to run.
7 steps to victory:
1. Acknowledge that you have problem with lust. 3 When I refused to confess my sin, I was weak and miserable, and I groaned all day long. Psalms 32:3 (NLT) – When you have a secret it eats away at you physiologically, spiritually, economically.
2. Break your silence. 16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. James 5:16 (KJV) – Now the scripture says confess your faults, not sins. Sin is the end result of what your fault was. Example: Lust was the fault; sin was a result of that fault. You don’t need to confess your sin to others, because they can’t forgive the sin. You confess your faults simply to find someone that can pray with you. Example 2: “I am going to Los Vegas and I have a problem with lusting. I need you to pray for me while I am gone. Check on my from time to time and call me and pray with me every night before I go to bed.”
3. Make a covenant with your eyes.1 I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid? Job 31:1 (KJV)-In other words, why should Job give himself to a virgin? The eye gate is where lust first starts. First we see it, then a thought is created, and then we create a fantasy in the mind. Eventually we want to act out that fantasy. If we see things in an appropriate way, then the inappropriate thoughts will not materialize.
4. Stop feeding the dog or the monster. 14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof. Romans 13:14 (KJV)-Don’t give room to the devil. Ex-People see you in a book store reading an Ebony magazine, yet you have a lot of porn magazines inside that magazine. We can’t get from lust, if we keep feeding it.
5. Renew your mind. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. Romans 12:1-2 (KJV)-If your mind is not right, you look at issues, the way the world looks at issues. Lust tries to humanize people so that they become objects. You have to have the mind of Christ at all times.
6. Walk in the Spirit. Gal 5:116 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. Gal 5:16 (KJV). Walking in the Spirit will lessen your desire to want to do sinful things.
6-The Holy Spirit is there to guide you. Listen to that small voice that tries to prevent you from doing wrong. Things often don’t feel right, because of the Holy Spirit inside you. This is your eternal warning system.
7. Focus on your future. 13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Phil 3:13-14 (KJV) – Bishop explains he doesn’t have it all together, but like Paul he is not going to be held hostage, by the things of his past.
When you see what is before you, it is your destination. This is where you are supposed to end up. Where do you see yourself ending up? Anything that compromises, or that prevents you from your destination, or retards the process of you getting to your destination, has to be viewed as a threat to your destiny. Bishop explains that he travels a lot and when you get to the airport, you never know what you are going to get. Sometimes they may have changed the color that indicates the level of security that you may be under due to terrorist threats. Because of 9/11, they have different levels of heightened security indicated by color. When it is at a certain level like orange for instance, you may not be able to park in certain places that you used to park or you may not be able to bring your bottled with you on the plain. They know that you are inconvenienced and they are sympathetic to how you feel, but the thing is they have a heightened since of security, because they don’t want a terrorist getting on a plane preventing people from getting to their destination. They have to see what is in the bag; they have to check you out and everything.
We have to live our life the same way. We have to say excuse me if this getting to you, but I have a heightened sense of security. I know you waiting for me to call you back, but I got to check you out. I am going to check and see if you have on the whole armor of God. I know it may be frustrating that we hadn’t gone out yet, but you can’t come here yet. I don’t want a terrorist to stop me from getting to my destination. When I see where God is taking me, I can’t take any chances just because you got a good game, or fine, or cute. I am thinking about my destiny.