Chasing after God
Bible Study 03/04/09
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Today people are only concerned about their horizontal relationships. These are relationships that we have here on earth. We find that people don’t get excited about their vertical relationship. This is their relationship with God. This is where your power really is. We have to make sure we have a proper relationship with God. 12Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the LORD, till he come and rain righteousness upon you. Hosea 10:12 KJV In this scripture, the writer is saying you want to have the blessings of Lord, but you don’t want to be in a position to receive the blessings. Proper relationship with God holds us accountable.
As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. Psalm 42:1. In this scripture, panting means that you are at the point of exhaustion. The deer mentioned in the text has been preyed upon by predators and is now at the point of exhaustion. The deer has to get water at this point in order to survive. The deer has the wisdom to get to a source of something that will re-energize him, because he is panting and exhausted. The enemy wants us to run to other sources when we get to a point of exhaustion. The author is trying to teach us to chase after God when we get to this point. When we receive help from others, we are not receiving the things from God that we need. 7Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me. Psalm 42:7-This scripture explains that while we are going through what we are going through, we know God is more sensitive of where we are than anything else. Anything else we use is only a temporary fix. We need to be sustained.
I. Each of us ought to long for fellowship with God.
1. There is something we gain in relationship and fellowship with God.9With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness. Isaiah 26:9–
2. We do not put our faith in the flesh. We recognize we need something greater.3For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh. Philippians 3:3- Relationship and fellowship with God is what we are after. Remember it is possible to have a relationship and not be in fellowship with somebody.
3. There are still people that think we can only experience God inside the church. 26And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; 27That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: 28For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. Acts 17:26-28-Paul was debating with philosophers during this time. God made all of us the same, all of us are individuals and God knows where we are. Paul tried to explain this for people that thought that God had to be worshiped with the aid of religious apparatus. Paul tried to remind the people that if they knew how close God was, they would seek after him and not religious rituals. Religion is the very thing that turns people off to the notion of getting closer to God. Because we have people with these old beliefs, it is important for us to remember that when someone in church hurts our feelings, we shouldn’t let this keep us away from a personal relationship with God. Wherever we are in this spiritual journey, we know our relationship with God is not tied to the four walls of the church building. Our relationship with God lets us know that we can create a sanctuary wherever we are. There are still people that think we can only experience God inside the church.
II. Failure to seek after God results in spiritual lack of knowledge
1. When you lack knowledge; sometimes it is a result of you rejecting it.6My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children. Hosea 4:6-When you lack knowledge; sometimes it is a result of you rejecting it. In other words, you hear what God wants for you, but refuse to adhere to it. God said if you reject his word, he will reject not only you, but your offspring.
2. No wants to reject God’s word when the word is talking about blessings, we only want to reject words of direction or discipline. No one wants to hear the word that says get your life in order. No one wants to hear the word that says the Lord takes away. We have to be willing to accept all of God’s word. Job says the Lord gives and takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.
3. There are promises made to those that diligently seek to find him. 29But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul. 30When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter days, if thou turn to the LORD thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice; 31(For the LORD thy God is a merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them. Deuteronomy 4:29 Sometimes God will create situations that will cause you to find him. God is always speaking. God’s voice comes through a variety of ways. It can even be that quit voice in your spirit. The Holy Ghost speaking to you is another way that God speaks to you. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding and in all your ways, acknowledge him. This will cause him to direct your path.
III. When you seek God he will reward you
1. God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him 6But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6-. Without knowledge of God, it is impossible to please him. Faith comes by hearing and hearing comes from the word of God. Those who come to God must believe that God is and is a rewarded of those who diligently seek him. Normally we go looking for someone in hopes that they will be there. When you look for God, you know that he is there and has what you need.
2. 7 things you get when you seek God
a. We get joy. 4Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: and let such as love thy salvation say continually, Let God be magnified. Psalm 70:4-When we seek God, we seek him with joy. You got to understand joy is so unlike happiness. The joy of the Lord is your strength. If you don’t know what this means, you will miss the revelation in this. Many of us don’t have the same enthusiasm when seeking after God as we do seeking things of the world. This is until we get into trouble. Those of us that have found this joy know that you can’t get this kind of joy at the liquor store. James says count it all joy. Our context doesn’t define our joy, we do.
b. We get peace and rest- 7Therefore he said unto Judah, Let us build these cities, and make about them walls, and towers, gates, and bars, while the land is yet before us; because we have sought the LORD our God, we have sought him, and he hath given us rest on every side. So they built and prospered.2 Chronicles 14:7-Some folk don’t have joy. Judah sought God and God gave them rest and peace. If you keep running from one thing to the next (i.e. tarot cards, clairvoyants, and etc…), in the end, you will still end up needing rest.
c. God gives us revelation- 3Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. Jeremiah 33:3 -God says he will reveal things to you that you don’t know. You don’t know it all. When you read the word of God, you get information. Preaching is the proclamation. Proclamation is impartation that brings revelation. Revelation will give you illumination to show you where to go. If you never read the word yourself, you can’t get revelation. When you read the word, then you come to church, then you receive a word that brings forth revelation. We thank God for information, but we need revelation.
d. We receive understanding of his ways. 5Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek the LORD understand all things. Proverbs 28:5-Evil men don’t understand what is going on. When you stay with God, he will make you understand his ways. We have the word; God will make things make sense to you. If you don’t have God’s word you can’t understand that all things work together for your good. When you have God, you realize that God trusted you to go through whatever you are going through.
e. God gives us strength. 31But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31-You run out of drive and as a result you need renewal. If we will depend on God to work out our problems, we will be like a car that needs service. We will realize we can’t get service unless we are jacked up. You can’t be serviced while you are driving. Those people that have chosen to park and let God work on them will be made right again. They will be made stronger. They will mount up with wings like eagles. The strength of an eagle is in their wings. Eagles fly alone. Other birds fly to together. When other birds see a storm they run, but eagles run right into the storm to increase their strength.
f. Prosperity and provision. Prosperity is not tangible items. Prosperity is being in your assignment. 33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:33-God will give you the things that you desire if you come after him first. 5And he sought God in the days of Zechariah, who had understanding in the visions of God: and as long as he sought the LORD, God made him to prosper.2 Chronicles 26:5 -As long as Uzziah sought God, God took care of him. We don’t understand why God allows things to happen, but we do know God is present when things don’t seem to go our way. We believe God is involved somewhere in this recession that we are going through today. Before we had gotten where we took God for granted. Now everyone is calling on God. As the prophet of God’s people, Bishop Walker says if we just back to him, he will give stuff back to us.
g. Security- 4One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple. 5For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock. Psalm 27:4-5-Dwell in the house of the Lord does not mean that we will be in a building. It means that we may be in the presence of God all the days of our life. In the time of trouble, God will hide us. God desires for us to seek him. He will seek those that will seek him. 23But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. John 4:23-When you worship God, it is more than going through the motions. Authentic worshippers are seeking God. Authentic worshippers want intimacy. Nobody has to force our hands up; they automatically go up, because we seek him. When we were kids, we knew how to call for our daddy. When we got tired of walking, we just reached for him. It was if we were saying, “Pick me up”! We were tired and couldn’t carry ourselves anymore. In the same manner, we have to reach for God, because we are weary and can’t carry ourselves. We are not concerned who is around us. We are saying we need him every hour.
3. When we seek the Lord:
a. Do it continually- 11Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually.1 Chronicles 16:11-seek him continually, not just on Wednesdays or Sundays.
b. We seek God whole heartedly.-
c. We seek God diligently
Summing up Psalms 42:
Lord I am like the deer that pants for the water. My soul longs for you. I thirst for you Lord. When will you come for me I ask? My tears have been my food. I have all of these attacks and my enemies approach me and ask where you are. I have done all of this proclaiming for you and I can’t answer them while I am down myself. I look down at myself and I realize who I am and that you are the rock. What shall I do next? I gather myself and my countenance and realize that I refuse to look like my situation. I decide I want to look like what I am hoping God for. In my quiet place and with the solitude of my spirit, I stand and lift my hands and I decide that I will chase after you God. I lift my hands and I want everything I have to flow to you God. I am tired of people pulling from me and I declare that I need you to refill me. I surrender now and ask you to fill me. I have decided to chase after you God.