Quitting is not an option Part II
I’m coming out of this
Synopsis of Sermon 9/12/10
Delivered by Bishop Walker III
Isaiah 58:6-8 says 6Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? 7Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh? 8Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy reward. – Reward in verse 8 means the glory of God will have our back. Know that God has our back.
There are times in all of our lives where crises will push us beyond ritual and formality. If you keep living, there will be moments where formality and fashion just won’t do. You would be amazed at how many people have gotten comfortable moving through the motions not realizing that their situation will never change until they move to a place of deeper commitment and authenticity in their response to God. People are frustrated because they pray and pray and they fast and they fast, but nothing ever happens. The truth is, if your motive is not right, there will be no transformative power in what you do. You can run, shout, have oil put on you, but nothing will happen unless your motives are sincere. This is what the people in text did. They fasted but their lifestyle wasn’t in line with what God would have them to be. They looked on the outside like they were going through what was required by the Lord, yet God questioned their motives. You would be surprised to know that even today, people go through the acts of religious recourse and rituals, but the truth is they do this to try and manipulate God. They want God to do what they want him to do. They say to themselves, “Look at what we are doing.” We need to know that God doesn’t look out at our outside, because he knows what is on the inside of us. Today this message is being preached, because somebody is tired of business as usual. They are tired of coming, just to find that nothing is happening in their life. There are people reading this today that sense that God is releasing them from disingenuous people. God says in this season he is trying to push us to a place that is closer. You will be closer to him like never before. We have gotten to a point in our lives where we don’t have time to play games or play church or even be in your clique. We are after a deeper reality or a greater revelation of who God is in our life. We are tired of church politics and we just want a real authentic experience with God. We are willing to get this by any means necessary. Whatever we got to let go of and whoever you got to cut lose, it’s cool, because today God is about to rearrange somebody’s circumstances to push us closer to him like never before. God is getting ready to deliver us from some areas. Some areas we have been comfortable with for years, but God is getting ready to uproot some things out of you and move you in a deeper place in him. We are coming out of this redundant ritual of religion. We are coming out of this spiritual holding pattern where we never get a healing. We are tired of being in the same mess year after year and we want something deeper.
The first thing we have to come out of is Spiritual Oppression
I. Spiritual Oppression
Isaiah 58:6 says 6Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
- Vs. 6 says God has seen them fast, but he says they are not doing it the way we asked them to. They are doing it externally, but there is something missing in how they are doing it. They were doing it like is shown in 2 Timothy 3:5 where it says 5Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.- In other words, they were fasting, but they were not doing the fast the way God wanted.
- Fasting is abstaining so God can sustain us. Ex- When we deny our bodies of food, we are putting our flesh into submission
- 3 types of fasts
- Partial Fast – This is when you deny yourself of certain foods, but not all foods. This is the type of fast that Daniel went on found in Daniel 10.
- Normal Fast – This is when you deny yourself of food, but you drink water. This is the type of fast that Jesus went on in the wilderness for 40 days.
- Absolute fast – This is when you deny yourself of both food and water. Paul on the Damascus road went on an absolute fast.
- In the text they were fasting, but they did not have the faith to match the fast. Why go through the motion and not believe God for what you are fasting for. When you do this, you are putting limitations on God. When you do this, you believe God can do this over here, but not over there. You believe God can give you a job, but not heal your body for example. You got to believe God for all of it. If it can be broke, God can fix it. If you can have it, God can heal it. If you can owe it, God can pay it. There is nothing impossible for God. No need to fast if you don’t think can do it!
- God is saying to them and us, he is trying to change stuff in us. We want a situational change, but God wants to change things inside of us. God wants to lose the bands wickedness. Wickedness is when our sin sets in. Sin is to miss the mark, Iniquity means we have a tendency to lean towards it, Trespass is to know we shouldn’t do it, but we do it anyway. We run over and run back. Wickedness is when you have an address there. You just stay there and wallow in it. We all got areas that we have decided we can live with (gotten wicked), but God has the power to release us from it. Sometimes we don’t get a breakthrough, because we are comfortable in our wickedness.
- God says he wants to undo our heavy burdens. Heavy burdens are those heavy things we carry around. It could be self esteem, loss of loved ones, or financial burdens. Ex- You would be surprised to know the people that come into church carrying heavy burdens. It is not God’s desire, for us to come and carry these burdens around heavy burdens. Because of your iniquity, causes you to have burdens. Burdens make you oppressed. Ex-It is like a picture of a clay pot that is under so much pressure, it is cracking. It is about to break. People wonder if you will break today. They wonder if they say something to you, will they tip over. It is not God’s will for you to be oppressed. God’s desire is to set us free.
- Because of the wickedness, heavy burdens, and oppression, we now have a yoke. This is much like the yoke an ox or mule wears so that they can be controlled and led where the owner wants them to go. Because of our yoke (caused by our ability to deal with our iniquity), we are being controlled by our circumstances and our emotions are being controlled by the enemy. Isaiah 10:27 says 27And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing.- We have come to tell you that God’s anointing has come to destroy the yoke off your neck. Your days of being controlled are over. God said it is time to come out of this spiritual oppression.
- Verse 6 says that bands tie have tied us up. Isaiah 58:6 says - 6Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? – You have been tied in wickedness, but God wants to undo them. We must participate in the process of taking this yoke off. Hebrews 12:1 says 1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, – Like the cloud of witness will testify, we are coming out of oppression and not being controlled by our situation. We are not going to be manipulated and let the yoke guide us again. We are going to wake up giving God the glory. Nothing is going to tell us how to feel, but the presence and the power of God.
II. We are coming out of Financial Suppression
Isaiah 58:7 says 7Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
- Verse 7 says don’t you know it was God’s will for you to bless the poor and to be in a position where you can invite the homeless to your house? We ought to all want to know what it feels like to be able to drive up to a bus stop and see a woman with her 3 kids and no car and be in a position that we can give her our car. We live in such a narcissistic or self absorbed world, we think it is always about us. God wants to change our economic situation, but he won’t if you are not mature enough to understand why he did. God doesn’t want us to serve him all our life and still be in lack. We are in church all day shouting and then we go home and can’t pay our rent. There is something wrong with this picture.
- God doesn’t want us in lack. A large part of coming out of our situation is knowing what God wants to do through us. God can’t do it through us, if we don’t’ believe God can get it to us. When God wants to get us to a blessing, it is not void of our accountability and responsibility. Ex-Bishop explains that he will tell the truth to folk, even those that he respects. This is probably why they like him. He tries to keep it real with all people. You got to understand something; God is not just blessing you just for you. Somebody’s blessing is hinged on us getting blessed. We are burdened, because we need to understand why God is trying to get the blessing to us.
- a. We have to have Proper perspective on relationships.
- Our Relationship with God has to be right. God is not going to bless us if our relationship isn’t right with him. Matthew 6:33 says 33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.- We are not seeking things now, we are God. If we lose things, we still got God. When the people in the text started losing things, they stopped coming to church. In proper relationship, we are not following God for the things; we are following him for who he is.
- Proper Perspective of Ownership -Once in relationship with God, we know who is owner of it. Psalm 24:1 says 1The earth is the LORD’s, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. – Now we stop talking about this is mine. Ex – “I can’t give our new suit to somebody. “ Last time we heard, our stuff wasn’t ours, it was the Lords. Know that the Lord gives and he takes away. Our house is God’s house and our car is God’s car. We don’t own any of it.
- We understand Proper Stewardship – We know that we are nothing but a manager of it. God saw enough in us to make us Manager over his stuff. He know that we will not let it shut down. God knows that you will do what he wants you to do with it. Luke 6:38 says 38Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again. – We understand our stewardship. 2 Corinthians 9:7 says 7Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.- Nobody wants to go in to business and find that the server has an attitude and then you ask for the Manager just to find that they have one too. God says we look like this at offering time, “God what do you want?”
- We understand True Worship – If we understand ownership, relationship, and stewardship, then we understand that our giving is true worship. Proverbs 3:9 says 9Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase: – It is worship when we give our tithes. Bishop explained that it use to bother him to hear Pastors say, “Now is the part of the service that we all can participate in”. What were we doing up until this point, just spectating? We must be in worship.
- God wants us to have the right kind of life. God wants us to feed the hungry and cloth the naked. Somebody is waiting on us to be blessed, because their blessing is tied to our being blessed. We recognize that God is ready to bless us to be a blessing to someone else. We come to speak prophetically over this house. If you understand ownership, relationship, and stewardship, God is about to turn your financial situation around. You ought to want to know what it is like to be able to write a check for your car and instead of financing it. You ought to want to be able to bless somebody else that is struggling with clothes. We won’t be broke all our life. We have chosen to be blessed to be a blessing.
- Why keep coming to church all the time and always be struggling? Bishop says he wants to see the whole house blessed. He can’t be blessed unless all the people that he Pastors is blessed.
III. Physical depression
Isaiah 58:8 says 8Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy reward.
- Verse 8 says once you move from playing church, something powerful happens.
- It is about your Heart - Your heart changes. In the scripture it says initially they sat in darkness. If you not in relationship, you are in darkness. When you go through form and fashion religion, it is just darkness. They thought maybe it was ok to walk around to be burdened down. They thought that maybe it is ok to be in church all our life and be struggling. Everyone isn’t going to be rich, but you ought to be able to pay your bills.
- If you in darkness, you have accepted a way of existing. Good morning, the light has come today in our life. Light is revelation. It represents knowledge. You see what you didn’t see before. God says you shall live.
- The devil’s been messing with our body, our mind, and our spirit. The devil don’t mind us coming to church as long as you are burdened down.
- Te devil attacks 3 areas:
- Our Head
- Our Heart
- Our Health
- Tell the devil, you are coming out of this! All this stuff has been going on in your head, then it messes with your heart from unmet expectations and broken promises, and now as a result, your health has been attacked. It is time for the real thing! There is enough power in you to take authority over the attack of the enemy and declare that you are coming out of this. Lay your hands on your head and say, “In the name of Jesus, I come against every demonic attack upon my mind. I speak the peace of God that surpasses all understanding! I declare that every thought that is not like God, be cast out now, every imagination be cast down now, in the name of Jesus!”
- Lay your hand on your Heart and declare, “In the name of Jesus, God everything that broke my heart shall be moved now! All the bitterness, all the pain, and all the tears, restore all the years that the locust have eaten up. Create within me a clean heart and renew within me a right sprit!”
- Lay your hands on your belly and declare, “Every sickness, every disease, and every curse be moved now from the crown of my head, to the sole of my feet. He was wounded for my transgressions and bruised for my iniquities and by his strips, I am healed!” Lift your hand up to the Lord and say, “I am coming out of this with my head up, with my hands up, giving God the glory!” Don’t wait until it is over. Praise him like it is already done. Let the redeemed of the Lord say so. Our best days are ahead of us. The worst is over. We feel God healing cancer and shrinking tumors! We feel God turning financial situations around. Yokes are being destroyed, because the anointing is in this place! Take back everything the devil stole from you! Take your destiny, your job, and your finances all in the name of Jesus. No more going through the motions and the rituals. We need too much from God to play church anymore, because we need him to turn our situation around.